ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

what are the 3P's?
I am not a bay area native but i have known about high school basketball for awhile. I have never even heard of Riordan until last year. Ya'll really got some passion i see. I might have to tell the family in SoCal to hit that transfer portal and get up here.

Don’t pour poor Black man with me, at least Huey Newton said, “he had a Street PhD” and you ain’t no Huey.

Since you didn’t graduate, let me give you a Civics update from Honest Abe Lincoln: “You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time”: WORD

You don't know me and honestly I don’t care to know you. But I will still be around Riordan long after your relatives try to influence UofH. I am not trying to character assassinate anyone. I am just calling out my truth which seems to be the truth.

As far as supporting Riordan, I was doing that when the HC was playing on Varsity and actually won a Championship...I think that was a State. I would like nothing better than to make that legacy come true x2. But reality is: He has more chance to do that next year after learning the lessons of this year....”No 3P’s” in the program”

SFcityFan is out.....(sound of mic dropping)

I will pick the Mic up, Sorry Coach Forslund because I got your text to ignore this but I have to respond. It's not bothering me one bit.

I waited for sometime to see if just one person would like your posts. Still hasn't happened.
Never said poor in any of my statements. Nice of you to insinuate that I was poor and I didn't have any degrees. Go on you tube and you will find me next to the Mayor receiving the Unsung Hero Award from City and County of San Francisco and the Board of Supervisors.
Just a few tid bits, nowhere near the Historian of Riordan but who did Joey play for at Riordan? Who was the head coach?
Jamal Baugh attended Riordan who is Bryce's uncle assistant coach at St. Ignatius. His son Ellias is now a student of Riordan and obviously a cousin, Je'lani Clark is a cousin.
I had the pleasure of coaching former Riordan athletes such as Justin Lee, Eric Galindo and Jacob Rassam.
It's great that adults can say moving in the right direction. Coaches and staff, administrators stay can stay around as the student athletes are there for a few years. I am sure the Riordan games were packed like this years team the last decade. Getting back to the winning ways without Bryce.
LAST TEN YEARS AT RIORDAN
2009- 4-10 in league
2010- 2 - 12 in league
2011- 3-11 in league
2012- 7-7 in league
2013- 9-5 in league
2014- 7-7 in league
2015- 3-11- in league
2016- 1-13 in league( Je'lani freshmen year begins)
2017- 4-10 in league( won D3)
2018- 10-4 in league( Bryce transfers in, most league wins in 10 years or more, open appearance)
2019- 11-3 in league ( open appearance and to be continued)
I will not crap on Coach Joey to make myself look good. Your comments try to spark me to step on the staff which I will only challenge them to be better. I am not yelling in the stands at the coaches , or belittling them. For the 6 seniors on this team they want more . For the 6 seniors last season they wish they had one more opportunity. Only one player is playing JC ball off that team. For some on this team they want to accomplish more .

Reactions: OneDNA and ARHS92
a degree doesnt really mean you can lead.. it just means you had the means and good time management. not that you can teach help defense or man, ball and rim.

Time management is HS prep sports, being able to teach and have experienced antidotal. Isola, Forslund and Buckner all held graduate degrees. Curtin is the only recent coach in the last generation who has an undergraduate. Do you know at even JC level one must have a Masters to coach in CA.

So my point is from solid facts, or any AAU, board pundit or Helicopter Dad could coach...Thank god not at Riordan.

colehenry, I thought the same last year as the time being now for the last two years. But now it seems like the boarding program is establishing true pipelines and as much as the infamous new Riordan parent even transferred his son in...

Lastly, Coach Curtin can develop guards ( he has had the better of the two Div I guards for four years) and we have two solids bigs on Varsity now. Riordan will own the city programs and truly compete with the south bay programs on equal talent level.

But what I am excited about is the pool of championship level players on Frosh level.

Yes, the future is bright at the Forum

Last edited:
Time management is HS prep sports, being able to teach and have experienced antidotal. Isola, Forslund and Buckner all held graduate degrees. Curtin is the only recent coach in the last generation who has an undergraduate. Do you know at even JC level one must have a Masters to coach in CA.

So my point is from solid facts, or any AAU, board pundit or Helicopter Dad could coach...Thank god not at Riordan.

colehenry, I thought the same last year as the time being now for the last two years. But now it seems like the boarding program is establishing true pipelines and as much as the infamous new Riordan parent even transferred his son in...

Lastly, Coach Curtin can develop guards ( he has had the better of the two Div I guards for four years) and we gave two solids bigs on Varsity now.
well those records posted doesnt exactly help the argument that having a masters equals quality coaching. or was those records players.. i would saying Monroe coming in changed the culture the last 2 seasons. my high school coach did not have a masters i dont even know if he graduated college. those would not have done him too well at our public school right in the middle of gang warfare anyway. he needed other skills. WE needed other lessons. he and we did pretty good for ourselves playing at arco though. good thing the internet wasnt around. he might have gotten run out of town too.

Lastly, Coach Curtin can develop guards ( he has had the better of the two Div I guards for four years) and we have two solids bigs on Varsity now. Riordan will own the city programs and truly compete with the south bay programs on equal talent level.

But what I am excited about is the pool of championship level players on Frosh level.

Yes, the future is bright at the Forum

don’t knock AAU coaches your freshman A Coach is a solid individual coaches and directs a big AAU program in the city. You have AAU on staff at Riordan.

Reality is Will Watkins should be coaching Riordan

I strongly disagree. He and Coach Slade did an excellent Job with the Frosh Class. Hopefully he can translate those skills to the lower division Girls program at Riordan. But I sincerely hope the standard of undergrads remain at Varsity level.

Now dont read me as if I am against AAU coaches, Nate Ford who started and ran the SF Rebels. Is one of the best coaches in the Bay Area, but if he was able to obtain his degree and/or graduate degree? He could have lead USF back to the NCAA. But let’s be honest, he is the rare exception.

Let’s just do a random survey of successful Bay Area coaches:

Alloco: Masters
Forslund: JD
Buckner: Masters
Kennedy: Masters
Engleson: Masters
Justin H (CCSF) Masters
Justin P ( Skyline): Masters
K Smith: Masters
T Golden: Masters
Bennett: Masters
Argenal: Masters

Do I really need to continue....

Shame on me for leaving off:

Filios: Masters
Cotton: Masters
Davey: Masters
Buan: Masters
Montgomery: Masters

how many open or division 1 titles have those highly educated fellas won. i applaud you for pushing education because i know they cant take mine away from me i was only able to obtain because of basketball... but you are selling some quality coaches short just because they decided school wasnt for them. i work for some people who have fancy letters behind their name that arent all that talented

I will pick the Mic up, Sorry Coach Forslund because I got your text to ignore this but I have to respond. It's not bothering me one bit.

I waited for sometime to see if just one person would like your posts. Still hasn't happened.
Never said poor in any of my statements. Nice of you to insinuate that I was poor and I didn't have any degrees. Go on you tube and you will find me next to the Mayor receiving the Unsung Hero Award from City and County of San Francisco and the Board of Supervisors.
Just a few tid bits, nowhere near the Historian of Riordan but who did Joey play for at Riordan? Who was the head coach?
Jamal Baugh attended Riordan who is Bryce's uncle assistant coach at St. Ignatius. His son Ellias is now a student of Riordan and obviously a cousin, Je'lani Clark is a cousin.
I had the pleasure of coaching former Riordan athletes such as Justin Lee, Eric Galindo and Jacob Rassam.
It's great that adults can say moving in the right direction. Coaches and staff, administrators stay can stay around as the student athletes are there for a few years. I am sure the Riordan games were packed like this years team the last decade. Getting back to the winning ways without Bryce.
2009- 4-10 in league
2010- 2 - 12 in league
2011- 3-11 in league
2012- 7-7 in league
2013- 9-5 in league
2014- 7-7 in league
2015- 3-11- in league
2018- 10-4 in league( Bryce transfers in, most league wins in 10 years or more, open appearance)
I will not crap on Coach Joey to make myself look good. Your comments try to spark me to step on the staff which I will only challenge them to be better. I am not yelling in the stands at the coaches , or belittling them. For the 6 seniors on this team they want more . For the 6 seniors last season they wish they had one more opportunity. Only one player is playing JC ball off that team. For some on this team they want to accomplish more .

I am so proud of you, if you would have put this much effort in to classroom work you could have or should have done well in HS, College and beyond.

You provided great statistics, but if you have learned from you other so called position? You would contributed these season records to school and programs viability. Look behind the curtin has of Riordan legacy.

I will be the first to say your son transferred to Riordan at a good time. Boarding transfers of height, new AD and Leadership at Riordan. So you are absolutely correct, Bryce saw the writing on the wall...he seems like a bright young man and he should be recognised for following the riggers of Riordan.

But what you seem to miss or just not understand, Riordan is not about a players it’s about a team. If you would get this you would condemn a coach for allowing a players to not dress for warm ups.

I am so happy that you shared your planned recognition, but if it was from the heart or the Marinist Traditions. The actions were done, but never for recognition but for the deed itself.

Listen, I can never educate a man or poster that never embraced education before.

So let’s agree to disagree and both celebrate Riordan success or underachievement. I am already looking forward to next season...too much 3P’s (Parents, Peers & Press)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Great convo going back and forth, as one guy above said the passion shows.

I think Riordan has a out now of the Open and with all the mentioning of the zone offense issues, personally I think getting to state in the open would be one hell of a challenge. I don’t know how three WCAL teams make the open, especially with the splits with Mitty and Bellarmine who are on the winners side. I could be wrong but I see the team falling to D-1. If that’s the case, I would love to see a Riordan De La Salle matchup myself.

Their was mention of them having a 9-0 streak, unfortunately the seasoned coaches find ways to adjust and unfortunately if preparation is a issue, well those coaches will beat you. The players no doubt play the game, but at this level steps away from NorCal and a possible state title appearance, the players also need to be fully prepped and put in the best position to win.

With that said, the doctor. He is a good friend and could have been a huge asset to a team so talented such as this which on paper is just a tad below Sheldon. The team has major talent, but if I had to put money on it, I think he enjoys being a assistant these days and personally I think if he landed back as a head in the WCAL, it would truly have to be his way a majority of the time. The man is seasoned, and one of the best preparation coaches hands down. Weeks into the 2002 season, he incorporated a 1-3-1 at practice. Never was it used, until all the marbles were on the line. Tofi and company started in a man against Centenial, went to a 2-3, then a 1-2-2, and they scored with ease until finally in the second quarter to a 1-3-1, and that cause fits for Aaron Affalo and company.

Also and with all due respect, playing at 5 is a preparation issue. Try leaving SF at 10am on a Wednesday, grabbing lunch, thank God Hoosiers was on the TV system, grabbing a light dinner, pre planned shoot around at Liberty Christian, and then a hard fought battle against Brody Angley and company in front of the most raucous and passionate fans in Redding and coming away with a win. Getting back at 2AM, and having to immediately go into preparation mode for a Saturday night barn burner in Sacramento. At this level preparation doesn’t just call for X’s and O’s.

Lastly I see mention of a team being underachievers or overachievers, this team is loaded with talent. Two fantastic d1 guards, the best tandem since the Kelly and Manigo days, great height, Hubbard has been a factor, the kid who was hurt for a minute has been a factor. I don’t think you rate this team either way. This is a team if well prepared beats darn near everybody and in my opinion wins by 20 last night.

Just my two cents. I am a WCAL homer, and would
love to see Riordan represent at state as well as a few others if it all shakes out. Bellarmine and Mitty will have a tough road. Personally when all is on the line I don’t see them beating Sheldon.

Good luck to all. Although stressful, the road to a state title game is full of fun and is a fantastic experience for the kids.

But Stevie, they are not prepared. Havent been prepared. Won't be prepared. Dont even show the willingness to change. At least thats what the pattern has shown. I honestly do not believe this staff has the wherewithal (actually maybe they do, cause Ive gotten confirmation that Tofi's opinion often goes in one er and out the other). Its inexplicable to not have made some sort of adjustment at this point when the offense has struggled all year vs the zone. As I told the Doctor last night, if ANY team that comes out in anything but a zone vs this team that coach should immediately be summoned to an insane asylum.

With ex-Riordan assistant Mike Molieri at the M-A helm, the Bears, the strongest CCS public school program by far, are similar to a WCAL unit in style, approach, preparation and execution.
Exactly the same. They play WCAL type of ball. Last night was full contact typical WCAL South type basketball. They could have easily folded down 16-9, but the team settled in and came back once their shooters got hot. Herein lies the difference, when they are cold they play tough man to man defense. Their defense keeps them in the game, till the offense gets them going. Its the exact formula the Doctor used when he didnt have the horses to compete.

You are a good booster, but donating doesn’t give an excuse of extra voice at HS program. Or at least it used to not at Riordan, but maybe things have
change like a AAU style offense.

Since your credential are in that arena, you would know??

Does nepotism get an extra voice? It ran rampant there during the 80s and 90s, wonder if its prevalent again with the new guard thats taken over...o_O

That is a program that runs a defense based system with a adjustable offense based on talent.

No way this is defense based. ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE. And the offense? Come one. There is no semblance of offense when they are playing a zone. You dont get beat at home vs Mitty if this team/program is defense based . I'm sorry, but absolutely not. Like I mentioned in a previous post, NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE was at all hesitant to draw Riordan in the postseason. NO ONE. They are who we thought they were, so to speak. They knew what they were getting and they knew how to beat them. It was just a matter of time and we never adjusted.

No way this is defense based. ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE. And the offense? Come one. There is no semblance of offense when they are playing a zone. You dont get beat at home vs Mitty if this team/program is defense based . I'm sorry, but absolutely not. Like I mentioned in a previous post, NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE was at all hesitant to draw Riordan in the postseason. NO ONE. They are who we thought they were, so to speak. They knew what they were getting and they knew how to beat them. It was just a matter of time and we never adjusted.

Do you know what you are talking about?

This post was about MA, not Riordan.

Please step up and keep up, as Obama says, “We have to be woke”

Unless Riordan continues its transfer/boarding magic big-time, the CIF title window is closing. This needs to be the year. Two Division I guards are graduating. Who knows what happens with the 7-1 stringbean center.
Mohr is gone. His sponsor is not happy with how he has developed, or not developed this year. Its gonna take a lot of begging n pleading, which one is good at to get him to stay .

Reactions: Scott2138

I absolutely know what Im tal

Absolutely do know what Im talking about! Why coaches ask for my insight. Objective and will tell it like it is. Some can take it, some will call me and rant and rave for 15 minutes and be defensive and then go out and do the same thing over and over again. But hey, to each their own.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I absolutely know what Im tal

Absolutely do know what Im talking about! Why coaches ask for my insight. Objective and will tell it like it is. Some can take it, some will call me and rant and rave for 15 minutes and be defensive and then go out and do the same thing over and over again. But hey, to each their own.

It seems to excite you that coaches call you and ask for insights...I am happy you can play the role of Ed McMann for Johnny Carson coaches who Neilson ratings have fallen off.

The post you are referring too, you basically said the same thing I said about MA is a defensive team with adjusting offence based on talent.

Now can you with your: google of basketball knowledge can contradict that.

C’Mon Man: WOKE

unlike Riordan currently

Last edited:
It seems to excite you that coaches call you and ask for insights...I am happy you can play the role of Ed McMann for Johnny Carson coaches who Neilson ratings have fallen off.

The post you are referring too, you basically said the same thing I said about MA is a defensive team with adjusting offence based on talent.

unlike Riordan currently

Nope. Being right is what excites me. And yup, you can see what happened last night. So keep banging that same drum, ended for the Astros as it did for our the Crusaders last night. But while were on google, go ahead and google nepotism, lemme know how that goes. Riordan wreaks of it, as you know...o_O

I will pick the Mic up, Sorry Coach Forslund because I got your text to ignore this but I have to respond. It's not bothering me one bit. imo i

2009- 4-10 in league
2010- 2 - 12 in league
2011- 3-11 in league
2012- 7-7 in league
2013- 9-5 in league
2014- 7-7 in league
2015- 3-11- in league

I just had to come back and state that you coached some of the weakest Varsity Players, I hope you don’t add then to your HoF board of coaching...
Can I give you some advice, be quiet while you are behind. And I am not interested in your Alex Haley story

I just had to come back and state that you coached some of the weakest Varsity Players, I hope you don’t add then to your HoF board of coaching...
Can I give you some advice, be quiet while you are behind. And I am not interested in your Alex Haley story
Riordan supporter just talked bad about former players of Riordan. Unreal. Jelani is weak too...I am done ! Off to enjoy my moms 71st birthday. Enjoy guy!

Nope. Being right is what excites me. And yup, you can see what happened last night. So keep banging that same drum, ended for the Astros as it did for our the Crusaders last night. But while were on google, go ahead and google nepotism, lemme know how that goes. Riordan wreaks of it, as you know...o_O

The only Nepotism I know of in Riordan Legacy is Forslund coaching his son. I don’t recall any other incidents.

Truthfully, I don’t care about that if parents want to donate, but the rule of thumb at Riordan is donations don’t buy you a surrogate role on the board or anywhere else

But it is always back to baseball with you, I think the HC of Baseball and Dir. of Facilities could use you on staff. He is building his program right

Last edited:

unlike Riordan currently

Anyone have a master’s degree, Riordan needs a coach.

Anyone have a master’s degree, Riordan needs a coach.

You may laugh and and joke at my point, but no one can argue my random survey of top coaches have in common in the Bay Area from HS prep to Junior College to NCAA Div I .

Btw:
Harris brothers at Skyline and Dominican

Riordan supporter just talked bad about former players of Riordan. Unreal. Jelani is weak too...I am done ! Off to enjoy my moms 71st birthday. Enjoy guy!

Happy Birthday Mom,

But I am saddest that your true colours came out....”It is really about TEAM BRYCE” as written on side of sweat pants. Your thoughts about your son’s team mate didn’t need to be said...isn’t he family too?

This is the best illustration of the 3P’s ( (P)arents bad mouthing team mates, thus causing (P)eer jealousy and the (P)ress or board discussion)

I say, “addition by subtraction”, do what you can Coach Curtin? But you have problems in River City with a capitol BD ( Bryce’s Dad)

Next year will be better....#WeRRiordan

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Mom,

But I am saddest that your true colours came out....”It is really about TEAM BRYCE” as written on side of sweat pants. Your thoughts about your son’s team mate didn’t need to be said...isn’t he family too?

This is the best illustration of the 3P’s ( (P)arents bad mouthing team mates, thus causing (P)eer jealousy and the (P)ress or board discussion)

I say, “addition by subtraction”, do what you can Coach Curtin? But you have problems in River City with a capitol BD ( Bryce’s Dad)

Next year will be better....#WeRRiordan
Smh... you called the kids I coached weak you got issues. I coached Jelani too. #teambryce always!

But Stevie, they are not prepared. Havent been prepared. Won't be prepared. Dont even show the willingness to change. At least thats what the pattern has shown. I honestly do not believe this staff has the wherewithal (actually maybe they do, cause Ive gotten confirmation that Tofi's opinion often goes in one er and out the other). Its inexplicable to not have made some sort of adjustment at this point when the offense has struggled all year vs the zone. As I told the Doctor last night, if ANY team that comes out in anything but a zone vs this team that coach should immediately be summoned to an insane asylum.
One DNA, I have read the log and a lot of what you comment on, and I agree 100 percent. You go ya back and have so much to compare to. And you know better than most that a road to Arco, well now the Golden 1 is one hell of a road. As I said previously I hope the WCAL is well represented, but every comment you have made is on the money. Take care, we will see how this all shakes out.

Reactions: OneDNA
Smh... you called the kids I coached weak you got issues. I coached Jelani too. #teambryce always!

They were weak in Basketball, but Riordan cares about the student/athlete and focuses on the gifts they have and develops them.

All of them would gladly admit that, but for a parent to bad mouth his son’s teammate. Their are certain “Rules of Thumbs” that are not done at Riordan. I understand that is covered Freshman year for Students and Parents, so I guess you get a pass. But as much as you tout your leadership skills with young men...I would think you would know that. But a scholarship to the MWC is more accomplished. But that speaks for itself to board posters and Riordan supporters

Ok. Enough. This thread has turned nasty. I think the kids are more mature than the posts from the "adults." This is HS basketball we are talking about - it's not life or death.
Good luck to all the teams the remainder of the season and hoping for all the WCAL teams to finish strong and represent the league well by their play and sportsmanship. Enjoy your weekend.

still waiting to see how many of them masters degree coaches have won the big one.

State Championships w/Masters
Isola
Allocco
Kennedy
Engleson
Forslund
Filios
Palo Alto HC (won state a few years ago)
Campo last year ( dont know name)

Local State JC Championships
Justin H @ CCSF
B Duggan @ CCSF

Is that enough, that was just off the top of my head. I hope one could do some self education since ones opinion is deficient of background or knowledge.

In a simple head count of Sectional Championships is >60% of coaches have undergrad degrees for the last 10 years.

Please challenge me on the success of listed coaches?

Clank (sound of mic being dropped)

Last edited:
Allocco
Kennedy
Engleson
Forslund

Justin H @ CCSF
B Duggan @ CCSF

Is that enough, that was just off the top of my head. I hope one could do some self education since ones opinion is deficient of background or knowledge.

In a simple head count of Sectional Championships is >60% of coaches have undergrad degrees for the last 10 years.

i wasnt challenging you. i just disagreed that having a masters makes you a masters in coaching basketball. high school basketball. or a master at anything. it just means you had the time and desire to keep going to school.
my coach didnt. he did pretty well for himself though.

Allocco
Kennedy
Engleson
Forslund

Justin H @ CCSF
B Duggan @ CCSF

now that i think of it.. we sent a couple them masters coaches home with an L.

Ok. Enough. This thread has turned nasty. I think the kids are more mature than the posts from the "adults." This is HS basketball we are talking about - it's not life or death.
Good luck to all the teams the remainder of the season and hoping for all the WCAL teams to finish strong and represent the league well by their play and sportsmanship. Enjoy your weekend.
Even SI ?

Reactions: jordan24
One DNA, I have read the log and a lot of what you comment on, and I agree 100 percent. You go ya back and have so much to compare to. And you know better than most that a road to Arco, well now the Golden 1 is one hell of a road. As I said previously I hope the WCAL is well represented, but every comment you have made is on the money. Take care, we will see how this all shakes out.

Back at ya

The only Nepotism I know of in Riordan Legacy is Forslund coaching his son. I don’t recall any other incidents.

Truthfully, I don’t care about that if parents want to donate, but the rule of thumb at Riordan is donations don’t buy you a surrogate role on the board or anywhere else

But it is always back to baseball with you, I think the HC of Baseball and Dir. of Facilities could use you on staff. He is building his program right

Actually I know Brandon well and Jeff as well. Know the families well, they both played for me and my Dad in So City. He's doing the best he can with the kids that come out there. Just cant shake the aura SHC has over So City, its disturbing. Not sure what that has to do with the Hoops program, but yes I'll be following them as well. Also, you surely dont believe that Richie was only on the team because of nepotism do you? Seriously? There was a blatant example on the baseball field of nepotism, one who was named MVP over another, but I'll let that go out of respect for the time he still puts into Riordan. And nope, has zero connection to me either. Anyways, may make it out there Thr, theres rumblings that JSquared may make another appearance.

Where have you gone IHOP2, JSquared, TopCat, Badbucks, Triplethreat, LarryLegend, the list goes on and on. When one could go back and forth on the board and if the teams they ever supported met on the court, you could continue that discussion face to face out of mutual respect. Man has this board changed. Personal slander because of an opinion on how a team is being coached etc...? Can no longer voice an opinion w/out a personal attack back? SMH

Isola
Allocco
Kennedy
Engleson
Forslund
Filios
Palo Alto HC (won state a few years ago)

Justin H @ CCSF
B Duggan @ CCSF

Isola coached in the State Title game, but never won it. Everyone else has. But you gotta have the horses too, education alone aint gonna get you to the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT