ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

A couple of things need to be addressed.........

1) Renard and I haven't seen eye to eye on some things, but he is receiving far too much abuse right now. A coaches job isn't to send every kid to a D1 school, their job is too teach them about sports and life. I bet you right now a bunch of kids Renard has coached have went on to live great lives, and some of the credit can go to coaching. How dare any of you bash a man who takes time out of his schedule to not only help his son, but other members of the basketball team. I'm sure Renard &/or Bryce would be the first to say this hasn't been the best season, but injuries happen, things happen, and I still believe the Monroe's will eventually get the last laugh when it comes to this topic. It's shameful to see grown adults acting like they have on this post.

2) To say you need a Master's degree to coach High School basketball...is the biggest joke I've heard all year. LOL. I'm literally busting at the seams. Does anyone here realize how expensive a Master's is? A regular BA is between 20-100K depending on school. Masters Programs...youre talking six figures from the start. To people who have a Master's degree, I respect them so much. But to say someone can't coach basketball because they don't have a Masters. Honestly I'd rather have a coach with a high school degree, but who has been an assistant coach for 20 years, than one who hasn't been an assistant and just has a Masters degree. I don't think any schools offer a Masters in Hoopology just yet!

Much Love, and Love Each Other! It's just Basketball! But nothing wrong with being Passionate!

Ok. Enough. This thread has turned nasty. I think the kids are more mature than the posts from the "adults." This is HS basketball we are talking about - it's not life or death.
Good luck to all the teams the remainder of the season and hoping for all the WCAL teams to finish strong and represent the league well by their play and sportsmanship. Enjoy your weekend.
Jordan I think people will agree that most look forward to your post , predictions and insight. I remember a few post of yours commenting on area's of improvement for the team this year and previous years. You have your right to your opinion and thoughts as well as any other person.
Being close to a team you notice a lot , their strengths and weaknesses. When you post things you can immediately see where someone stands. You missed the 2nd St. Francis game and asked some clear cut questions. Anyone in attendance at that game clearly witnessed that we played their style of basketball for 3/4 of the game. That game for St. Francis really gave them confidence coming into the playoffs vs Riordan. I didn't like the match up at all. About immaturity on the board, please read the comments. There a few off the wall comments but never slander or plain lies as what transpired these last couple days. Let's be honest though it's only one poster doing that. My reason for using my real name is I do not have to hide behind my screen name, I stand by my opinions and thoughts and will never slander a guy no matter what his or her issue may be . I have been getting calls , texts, direct messages from people guessing who guys are. It doesn't bother me one bit, hurt my feelings, none of it but will be addressed. I continue to say good luck to all the teams and wishing Riordan the best and hoping we do better the next couple of weeks. We will continue to see Zone defenses and continue to be challenged not by the 3 p's voicing their opinions but opposing COACHES AND TEAMS exploiting our weaknesses as teams do at this time of year.

A couple of things need to be addressed.........

1) Renard and I haven't seen eye to eye on some things, but he is receiving far too much abuse right now. A coaches job isn't to send every kid to a D1 school, their job is too teach them about sports and life. I bet you right now a bunch of kids Renard has coached have went on to live great lives, and some of the credit can go to coaching. How dare any of you bash a man who takes time out of his schedule to not only help his son, but other members of the basketball team. I'm sure Renard &/or Bryce would be the first to say this hasn't been the best season, but injuries happen, things happen, and I still believe the Monroe's will eventually get the last laugh when it comes to this topic. It's shameful to see grown adults acting like they have on this post.

2) To say you need a Master's degree to coach High School basketball...is the biggest joke I've heard all year. LOL. I'm literally busting at the seams. Does anyone here realize how expensive a Master's is? A regular BA is between 20-100K depending on school. Masters Programs...youre talking six figures from the start. To people who have a Master's degree, I respect them so much. But to say someone can't coach basketball because they don't have a Masters. Honestly I'd rather have a coach with a high school degree, but who has been an assistant coach for 20 years, than one who hasn't been an assistant and just has a Masters degree. I don't think any schools offer a Masters in Hoopology just yet!

Much Love, and Love Each Other! It's just Basketball! But nothing wrong with being Passionate!

Ayalar to the rescue! Lol
No worries Ayalar , this is not abuse at all. People are allowed their opinions and thoughts. I have no problem when a guy comes at me. I grew up in West Oakland. Stronger than most believe that!
But with all the Slander let's just be accurate.
- Bryce's parents both College Graduates
- the guy brought up Bryce not being dressed properly for warm ups( guess he didn't know his uniform was being washed by team personnel because of blood)
- Bryce is a team captain he will always dress

The Team Bryce apparel is just a guy stalking me from a distance, I do not own any sweats with my son name on them but well within in my right to do so as I bought every coach on Riordan a shirt with their name on it plus the kids.
See when someone starts to talk about your education, your clothing, they expose themselves for who and what they are. Then went on to bash former Riordan player's. No need to go and on with a guy or gal like that. It may be someone who liked that he came at me but afraid to like his posts. They are within their right to feel the same way.

I appreciate your post, though.

Only have saw this team 4 maybe 5 times this year but in my opinion There needs to be an ablity to adjust to what teams are doing in game adjustments and there appears to be a lack of that with this staff. In gridley I witnessed Dublin's coach just undress the riordan staff in the semi finals and then it took a great individual game by Bryce to beat campo on day 3 up there so there had to be some doubts about riordans staff's ablity to match wits with the top tier coaches in the WCAL (mitty bellarmine) Still time to regroup and make a run they have the pieces to win home or away.

As a true Riordan supporter for almost a generation, I like the direction the school, administration and Athletic Department leadership is headed and going.

As far as this years team, I worry that the 3P’s will empower this to no championship. But a lot if what could’ve , should’ve and would’ve been.

@cityfan

what are positives the varsity coach has displayed this season? You know his strengths? What makes him good? Help us see what you see, your knowledge is extremely strong.

Practice plans?

in game adjustments?

is he a defensive minded guy?

Does he have a pocket full of quick hitters?

Motivator?

I will say this, he’s a hell of a recruiter.

Only have saw this team 4 maybe 5 times this year but in my opinion There needs to be an ablity to adjust to what teams are doing in game adjustments and there appears to be a lack of that with this staff. In gridley I witnessed Dublin's coach just undress the riordan staff in the semi finals and then it took a great individual game by Bryce to beat campo on day 3 up there so there had to be some doubts about riordans staff's ablity to match wits with the top tier coaches in the WCAL (mitty bellarmine) Still time to regroup and make a run they have the pieces to win home or away.

The Riordan coach is still young. Meanwhile many of the coaches in the WCAL (Mitty, Bellarmine, Serra) have had established coaching staffs for years and years. While I personally feel he is under-utilizing some guys, I dont feel he has done anything to lose his job like some posters are implying.

Open Letter,

I am not here to be like or gain checks on a message board....really is that one actual goal.

I say what is not said, because of political awareness or correctness. My points on education, leadership of young men is relevant because of observed issues facing this team and program.

I will not redirect posters to Youtube vids as if we don’t have dangerous components of our society going to Youtube videos to create dangerous situations. May they be religious, racial or self promoting, the fact one is asking for Youtube confirmation of character put a scare in to me.

I have seen many parents donate to Riordan sports, ban and resource center at Riordan. What made Riordan unique was Riordan didn’t let donations enable a parent to become a superficial surrogate or voice.

It seems I have sparked a combustion of dialog or defence that is rejected very loudly. why does one protest so loudly?

To be accurate, I label former Riordan players as not stellar examples of Riordan Basketball stars. But notice I did point out the gifts that Riordan developed in them (the fact they were accepted to Ivy league colleges) But in response this suppose surrogate of Riordan bad mouths his own son’s teammate/relative. But I challenge a supposedly leader minority of youth in the Bay Area where their true ethics are???

As far as commenting on Education, I questioned not listing, since they were do a self promotion campaign. I still feel strongly that HC of Prep, JC or NCAA should have achieved grad degree status.

I am done with this debate, it achieved revealing statement of a parent that has only three years of Riordan Culture to form credibility.

SFCityFan....is out, but never far away.

Not implying that he should lose his job but maybe adding an experienced assistant coach would help in his ablity to navigate through a very tough league and long season.
Tried that last year, with one of the best around in the Doctor. But you also have to be humbled enough to accept that insight or constructive criticism from your assistant coaches. Obviously, you see the changes to this years staff.

Jordan I think people will agree that most look forward to your post , predictions and insight. I remember a few post of yours commenting on area's of improvement for the team this year and previous years. You have your right to your opinion and thoughts as well as any other person.
Being close to a team you notice a lot , their strengths and weaknesses. When you post things you can immediately see where someone stands. You missed the 2nd St. Francis game and asked some clear cut questions. Anyone in attendance at that game clearly witnessed that we played their style of basketball for 3/4 of the game. That game for St. Francis really gave them confidence coming into the playoffs vs Riordan. I didn't like the match up at all. About immaturity on the board, please read the comments. There a few off the wall comments but never slander or plain lies as what transpired these last couple days. Let's be honest though it's only one poster doing that. My reason for using my real name is I do not have to hide behind my screen name, I stand by my opinions and thoughts and will never slander a guy no matter what his or her issue may be . I have been getting calls , texts, direct messages from people guessing who guys are. It doesn't bother me one bit, hurt my feelings, none of it but will be addressed. I continue to say good luck to all the teams and wishing Riordan the best and hoping we do better the next couple of weeks. We will continue to see Zone defenses and continue to be challenged not by the 3 p's voicing their opinions but opposing COACHES AND TEAMS exploiting our weaknesses as teams do at this time of year.
Agree, Coach Monroe. Always enjoy everyone’s perspective as I do also share mine. I just draw the line when posts start getting personal and nasty by a very small number of posters. I used to be more critical, but realize that at the end of the day the kids, coaches and parents are the ones invested and just want to see their kids grow, take in life’s lessons and have fun along that journey - win or lose.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Agree, Coach Monroe. Always enjoy everyone’s perspective as I do also share mine. I just draw the line when posts start getting personal and nasty by a very small number of posters. I used to be more critical, but realize that at the end of the day the kids, coaches and parents are the ones invested and just want to see their kids grow, take in life’s lessons and have fun along that journey - win or lose.
Obviously points certain posters do not understand. Much respect as always and still hopeful with the time we have left with this years team we make the best of it and make a run at a norcal title at whatever level and state run. It's all right in front of them . My posting of the last ten years at Riordan is to say teams like the current squad no matter what boarding school you have do not come a long all to often.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
I think we lost enough this season don't you? Apply what we learned from those losses and I bet we turn it around and like I said I saw the kids come together last game during the rough times and you can build off that. When the team is together they accomplish anything with proper guidance . Home game on Thursday at 6pm, no doubt Sacred Heart Prep will come out in some type of zone and try to take away passes to the post and slow the game down.

Reactions: jordan24
I am so glad that everyone is having a “Kumbaya”.

Sometimes it take a voice outside the PC word to self evaluate.

My identity is not important. Buckner used to say, “If knowledge comes from a monkey, don’t discount the knowledge” But remember the monkey see things in black and white and not concerned with ego’s or checks of like on the board,

I want to thanks my family for supporting my thoughts and know they will and are a part of the Riordan Legacy

I am so glad that everyone is having a “Kumbaya”.

Sometimes it take a voice outside the PC word to self evaluate.

My identity is not important. Buckner used to say, “If knowledge comes from a monkey, don’t discount the knowledge” But remember the monkey see things in black and white and not concerned with ego’s or checks of like on the board,

I want to thanks my family for supporting my thoughts and know they will and are a part of the Riordan Legacy

And the Oscar goes to SFcityFan

Open Letter,

I am not here to be like or gain checks on a message board....really is that one actual goal.

I say what is not said, because of political awareness or correctness. My points on education, leadership of young men is relevant because of observed issues facing this team and program.

I will not redirect posters to Youtube vids as if we don’t have dangerous components of our society going to Youtube videos to create dangerous situations. May they be religious, racial or self promoting, the fact one is asking for Youtube confirmation of character put a scare in to me.

I have seen many parents donate to Riordan sports, ban and resource center at Riordan. What made Riordan unique was Riordan didn’t let donations enable a parent to become a superficial surrogate or voice.

It seems I have sparked a combustion of dialog or defence that is rejected very loudly. why does one protest so loudly?

To be accurate, I label former Riordan players as not stellar examples of Riordan Basketball stars. But notice I did point out the gifts that Riordan developed in them (the fact they were accepted to Ivy league colleges) But in response this suppose surrogate of Riordan bad mouths his own son’s teammate/relative. But I challenge a supposedly leader minority of youth in the Bay Area where their true ethics are???

As far as commenting on Education, I questioned not listing, since they were do a self promotion campaign. I still feel strongly that HC of Prep, JC or NCAA should have achieved grad degree status.

I am done with this debate, it achieved revealing statement of a parent that has only three years of Riordan Culture to form credibility.

SFCityFan....is out, but never far away.
there arent enough people with grad degrees to coach basketball let alone every other sport at the high school level. I do not even think that is a requirement to coach in the NBA

Reactions: SmoothJay
there arent enough people with grad degrees to coach basketball let alone every other sport at the high school level. I do not even think that is a requirement to coach in the NBA

Incorrect....In CA one must have Masters to coach at JC Level, Masters highly preferred, Undergrad baseline at NCAA Div I, II and III. But will accept appropriate College, professional or NBA experience. NBA same as NCAA, but more stringent.

Incorrect....In CA one must have Masters to coach at JC Level, Masters highly preferred, Undergrad baseline at NCAA Div I, II and III. But will accept appropriate College, professional or NBA experience. NBA same as NCAA, but more stringent.
So it is not a requirement. Like I said.

So Sfcity fan , If I were to wear sweat pants with my son name on them I am totally within my right. The only thing since you are stalking me from a distance I do not own any pants with my son name on it. I do however own a R shirt with my name on it just like all the R shirts with their name on it that I purchased for the team, the coaches, and the team managers, KNOW YOUR FACTS. Your up at 2:38am writing on the boards? Interesting, couldn't sleep? Upset about the loss? Bryce isn't the first person to transfer and will not be the last. Bryce is happy at Riordan and loves fighting with his team. Nice of you to bring that up" Riordan supporter though?" The more you type and respond you show your true colors. Keep it going. Like I said We are who we R, a consolation team for now with an opportunity to do more. Pull together and make a run.

Let it go,

Some people stay up late to finish papers in college, some people stay up late to review presentation and some people have their best ideas in the still of the night with no distraction, To go to a board and post an antidotal thought has nothing do with a loss or win. Truth is Truth...

I realise that the reasons I posted that people stay up late may be foreign to you, but this is an age that the 24 hour clock is active.

@cityfan

what are positives the varsity coach has displayed this season? You know his strengths? What makes him good? Help us see what you see, your knowledge is extremely strong.

Practice plans?

in game adjustments?

is he a defensive minded guy?

Does he have a pocket full of quick hitters?

Motivator?

I will say this, he’s a hell of a recruiter.
Curious to hear these answers. Ive yet to hear someone say the coach is doing a good job. He's young & got the job on what sounds like some shady behind the scenes politics. But he apparently has his Masters degree.

Let it go,

Some people stay up late to finish papers in college, some people stay up late to review presentation and some people have their best ideas in the still of the night with no distraction, To go to a board and post an antidotal thought has nothing do with a loss or win. Truth is Truth...

I realise that the reasons I posted that people stay up late may be foreign to you, but this is an age that the 24 hour clock is active.
this guy got a thing for you renard...

Reactions: MC415 and ARHS92
Used to be. It's been gone several years. It was awesomely negative and nasty.

Reminds me of the Oregonian's HS sports forum from back when I lived up there... Insults were traded regularly, at coaches, refs, other posters (Including me, but I did my best to stay out of the fights others wanted to start), even players... Haters used to call Kevin Love "Baby Huey" and much worse. While I still lived up there, the Oregonian's website killed the HS Sports forums altogether. I think the moderators just got tired of having to ban or suspend posters all the time.

i loved SFPreps. Its too bad Balan couldnt find the funding to keep it going. Although honestly he was the only one that would give the AAA any shine.

Reactions: OneDNA
Where have you gone IHOP2, JSquared, TopCat, Badbucks, Triplethreat, LarryLegend, the list goes on and on. When one could go back and forth on the board and if the teams they ever supported met on the court, you could continue that discussion face to face out of mutual respect. Man has this board changed. Personal slander because of an opinion on how a team is being coached etc...? Can no longer voice an opinion w/out a personal attack back? SMH

let's not forget Sweetpea and the " Ingrissh Teecher " :)

Here's wishing you great hoops

CCS DII Quarterfinal - Tuesday Feb 25th
  • Gunn @ #3 Valley Christian @ 7pm
CCS DIII Quarterfinals - Tuesday Feb 25th
  • Jefferson @ #1 Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • Westmoor @ #2 St. Ignatius @ 7pm
CCS Open Semi-Finals-Wednesday Feb 26th @ Independence HS:
  • #3 Bellarmine vs #7 St. Francis @ 6pm
  • #1 Mitty vs #4 Menlo-Atherton @ 7:30pm
CCS Open Consolation Round-Thursday Feb 27th
  • #8 Menlo @ #5 Serra - 5:30pm
  • #6 Sacred Heart Prep @ #2 Archbishop Riordan - 6pm

If Riordan wins their 2 consolation games, would expect for them to still get placed in Norcal Open... 3 CCS/WCAL teams making it was always within the realm of possibility. Riordan losing early honestly only helps the chances of that as they were likely the biggest shoe-in of the 3. Now if they drop another CCS consolation game, D1 may then be the move...

If Riordan wins their 2 consolation games, would expect for them to still get placed in Norcal Open... 3 CCS/WCAL teams making it was always within the realm of possibility. Riordan losing early honestly only helps the chances of that as they were likely the biggest shoe-in of the 3. Now if they drop another CCS consolation game, D1 may then be the move...
I believe there is just one consolation game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT