ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 BVAL Realignment

Nov 16, 2018
With this year's regular season almost in the books, it's time that we take a look at the possible realignment for BVAL with the addition of Gilroy and Christopher. For reference here are the current league breakdowns. The opinions of who moves up and down are based on keeping a 3 Division 9 9 8 format when The 2 Gilroy schools join.
Mt Hamilton (A)
Leland
Oak Grove
Lincoln
Live Oak
Silver Creek
Overfelt
Santa Teresa
Piedmont Hills
Its no secret that the quality of this league has not been A quality for the past few years. With the shocking decline of Oak Grove it seems that this years automatic qualifiers will be Leland Live Oak Lincoln and ST. Would have really liked to see Lincoln and Live Oak face off to get a better gage of any gaps among the top 4, unfortunately that game was cancelled. But what we can determine is that for the most part this league has been a 3 team race with Leland Live Oak and Lincoln including a shocking upset of ST over Leland. Overfelt and Silver Creek are the bottom 2 and the winner of the week 10 matchup should remain in the Mt Hamilton sending the loser to the Santa Teresa. Oak Grove remains up due to the quality of athletes at the school. Piedmont Hills has had a difficult past couple of years but have the coaching and talent to stay in games. ST has been playing competitive football under a new coach and is still within the top 4. Christopher will be joining this league and easily fit in as one of the top 4 as that program has been battle tested through the gauntlet of the Gabilan.

Santa Teresa (B)
Pioneer
Leigh
Sobrato
Branham
Westmont
Prospect
Independence
Willow Glen
A majority of this division believes that Leigh belongs in the Mt Hamilton division to help close the talent gaps among the top 4. However Pioneer showed the division a flash of it's previous Mt Hamilton experience by taking down the longhorns. It looks like the to AQ's are going to Pioneer and Leigh, but the talent gap had more than a few teams in the race up until recently. Sobrato has shown promise under a new head coach and has been very competitive following a statement win against Branham to open up league play. Branham didn't seem to have the bodies to make a title run this year but were in the mix for a playoff spot until week 7. They can get program momentum going into next year with a statement win over Leigh. Willow Glen has not been playing good football the last 3 years and have made multiple attempts to go to the C league. Independence has experienced a coaching carousel the last 4 years, although their record suggests that they should move down, that school has athletes and would wreck the West Valley based on pure athleticism. Let their current HC build and remain in the Santa Teresa. Gilroy High will be joining this league and be extremely competitive, after 3 years of chaos it appears that the Mustangs are back.

West Valley (C)
Andrew Hill
Gunderson
Mt Pleasant
James Lick
Evergreen Valley
Del Mar
San Jose
Yerba Buena
Much shorter write up on this division. Hill took the league title with Gunderson remaining on their coat tails throughout the year. Hill could move up or stay depending on a motion from a Santa Teresa team to move down.

Restructure
Multiple formats have been suggested with the addition of the two teams. No one likes the idea of adding them straight in and creating an 9 9 8 format without adding additional AQ's. Some have also suggested the realignment to include to B leagues such as a B+ and B-. Creating a 7 6 6 7. Recently CCS indicated that the addition of another B caliber league will grant 2 additional AQ's. (And all the sudden everyone has fallen in love with the idea) So with that how would the league eliminate subjectivity and appropriately differentiate between a B- and B+. Some have suggested dividing them by region to eliminate headaches and calling the two leagues equal without a + or - indication. The problem with that is there will be a clear superior region and schedule strength can rob teams of playoffs spots and prevent C league teams from moving up if they are in a more difficult region. The pros: Mt Hamilton becomes more competitive, More B league teams receive AQ's and less B league fluctuation Cons: Difficulty dividing teams into appropriate leagues.

Proposal
Here's my two cents, feel free to tear it apart. But we need a 7 6 6 7 format with a B+ and B- divided by team performance and not region. the B+ will get 3 AQ's while the B- will get 1. Mt Hamilton will retain their 4 AQ's. Now as far as points awarded I'll leave up to Palbooster. Here is how I believe they should be realigned.

Mt Hamilton A (4AQ'S)
Leland
Live Oak
Lincoln
Santa Teresa
Christopher
Piedmont Hills
Oak Grove
Everyone has been ripping the Mt Hamilton on not being true A league caliber and also the presence of a huge talent gap between schools outside of the top 3. I think this realignment will make it extremely competitive and anybody's game.
Santa Teresa B+ (3AQ'S)
Pioneer
Leigh
Sobrato
Branham
Overfelt
Silver Creek
With the addition of Creek and Overfelt this becomes as tough league in terms of athleticism and coaching style. Which is why I believe they deserve the 3 AQ's

Cambrian B- (1AQ)
Westmont
Independence
Willow Glen
Andrew Hill
Prospect
Gilroy
These schools have struggled but the equitable talent pool allows for closer games sending the lone league champ to the post season with an opportunity for 2nd to receive an at large.

West Valley C (1AQ)
Gunderson
Del Mar
James Lick
Mt Pleasant
Yerba Buena
San Jose
Evergreen Valley
Not much changes with the WV. League champ goes to the dance.

I can already hear the moans and groans but I believe this allows for competitive and equitable league play. Also multiple crossover games can allow a team from the Cambrian to possibly get into post season play with an at large bid. Curious to see what ya'll think.

Reactions: bingobob and MC415
With this year's regular season almost in the books, it's time that we take a look at the possible realignment for BVAL with the addition of Gilroy and Christopher. For reference here are the current league breakdowns. The opinions of who moves up and down are based on keeping a 3 Division 9 9 8 format when The 2 Gilroy schools join.
Mt Hamilton (A)
Leland
Oak Grove
Lincoln
Live Oak
Silver Creek
Overfelt
Santa Teresa
Piedmont Hills
Its no secret that the quality of this league has not been A quality for the past few years. With the shocking decline of Oak Grove it seems that this years automatic qualifiers will be Leland Live Oak Lincoln and ST. Would have really liked to see Lincoln and Live Oak face off to get a better gage of any gaps among the top 4, unfortunately that game was cancelled. But what we can determine is that for the most part this league has been a 3 team race with Leland Live Oak and Lincoln including a shocking upset of ST over Leland. Overfelt and Silver Creek are the bottom 2 and the winner of the week 10 matchup should remain in the Mt Hamilton sending the loser to the Santa Teresa. Oak Grove remains up due to the quality of athletes at the school. Piedmont Hills has had a difficult past couple of years but have the coaching and talent to stay in games. ST has been playing competitive football under a new coach and is still within the top 4. Christopher will be joining this league and easily fit in as one of the top 4 as that program has been battle tested through the gauntlet of the Gabilan.

Santa Teresa (B)
Pioneer
Leigh
Sobrato
Branham
Westmont
Prospect
Independence
Willow Glen
A majority of this division believes that Leigh belongs in the Mt Hamilton division to help close the talent gaps among the top 4. However Pioneer showed the division a flash of it's previous Mt Hamilton experience by taking down the longhorns. It looks like the to AQ's are going to Pioneer and Leigh, but the talent gap had more than a few teams in the race up until recently. Sobrato has shown promise under a new head coach and has been very competitive following a statement win against Branham to open up league play. Branham didn't seem to have the bodies to make a title run this year but were in the mix for a playoff spot until week 7. They can get program momentum going into next year with a statement win over Leigh. Willow Glen has not been playing good football the last 3 years and have made multiple attempts to go to the C league. Independence has experienced a coaching carousel the last 4 years, although their record suggests that they should move down, that school has athletes and would wreck the West Valley based on pure athleticism. Let their current HC build and remain in the Santa Teresa. Gilroy High will be joining this league and be extremely competitive, after 3 years of chaos it appears that the Mustangs are back.

West Valley (C)
Andrew Hill
Gunderson
Mt Pleasant
James Lick
Evergreen Valley
Del Mar
San Jose
Yerba Buena
Much shorter write up on this division. Hill took the league title with Gunderson remaining on their coat tails throughout the year. Hill could move up or stay depending on a motion from a Santa Teresa team to move down.

Restructure
Multiple formats have been suggested with the addition of the two teams. No one likes the idea of adding them straight in and creating an 9 9 8 format without adding additional AQ's. Some have also suggested the realignment to include to B leagues such as a B+ and B-. Creating a 7 6 6 7. Recently CCS indicated that the addition of another B caliber league will grant 2 additional AQ's. (And all the sudden everyone has fallen in love with the idea) So with that how would the league eliminate subjectivity and appropriately differentiate between a B- and B+. Some have suggested dividing them by region to eliminate headaches and calling the two leagues equal without a + or - indication. The problem with that is there will be a clear superior region and schedule strength can rob teams of playoffs spots and prevent C league teams from moving up if they are in a more difficult region. The pros: Mt Hamilton becomes more competitive, More B league teams receive AQ's and less B league fluctuation Cons: Difficulty dividing teams into appropriate leagues.

Proposal
Here's my two cents, feel free to tear it apart. But we need a 7 6 6 7 format with a B+ and B- divided by team performance and not region. the B+ will get 3 AQ's while the B- will get 1. Mt Hamilton will retain their 4 AQ's. Now as far as points awarded I'll leave up to Palbooster. Here is how I believe they should be realigned.

Mt Hamilton A (4AQ'S)
Leland
Live Oak
Lincoln
Santa Teresa
Christopher
Piedmont Hills
Oak Grove
Everyone has been ripping the Mt Hamilton on not being true A league caliber and also the presence of a huge talent gap between schools outside of the top 3. I think this realignment will make it extremely competitive and anybody's game.
Santa Teresa B+ (3AQ'S)
Pioneer
Leigh
Sobrato
Branham
Overfelt
Silver Creek
With the addition of Creek and Overfelt this becomes as tough league in terms of athleticism and coaching style. Which is why I believe they deserve the 3 AQ's

Cambrian B- (1AQ)
Westmont
Independence
Willow Glen
Andrew Hill
Prospect
Gilroy
These schools have struggled but the equitable talent pool allows for closer games sending the lone league champ to the post season with an opportunity for 2nd to receive an at large.

West Valley C (1AQ)
Gunderson
Del Mar
James Lick
Mt Pleasant
Yerba Buena
San Jose
Evergreen Valley
Not much changes with the WV. League champ goes to the dance.

I can already hear the moans and groans but I believe this allows for competitive and equitable league play. Also multiple crossover games can allow a team from the Cambrian to possibly get into post season play with an at large bid. Curious to see what ya'll think.
To an NCS guy like myself BVAL means the Bay Valley Athletic League(Pittsburg,Antioch,Liberty,Heritage,Deer Valley,Freedom).Misunderstood

If you have a True A League, those top 8 deserve playoff spots. A B- or C team taking the spot of an A team does not make sense.

To an NCS guy like myself BVAL means the Bay Valley Athletic League(Pittsburg,Antioch,Liberty,Heritage,Deer Valley,Freedom).Misunderstood
They seem locked in now… no more Clayton valley or DLS. Some years that’s a very good public school league, though not like SJS’s SFL.

Way back in the day when I went to and was playing at Branham our whole world was West Valley Athletic League and CCS we never even heard of NCS. I think Swervin Mervin Fernandez was at Andrew Hill at that time. Back in those days the WVAL consisted of:

Branham
Los Gatos
Camden
Campbell
Del Mar
Leigh
Westmont
Blackford
Prospect
Saratoga

Saratoga left the WVAL in 1976, my final season. That probably explains why Branham faced Saratoga in round one of the playoffs at Spartan Stadium. Saratoga went on to win CCS that year . Prospect was Branham's homecoming game every Thanksgiving morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC415
They seem locked in now… no more Clayton valley or DLS. Some years that’s a very good public school league, though not like SJS’s SFL.
Yeah, Deer Valley has really dropped off. You're exactly right, some years that league has been very very good. When DV was good, it was a better league. They used to get some athletes. When I evaluate the SFL, I look at three schools; Granite Bay, Oak Ridge, and Del Oro. When those three are good, the SFL is good, which is most years. I don't use Folsom to judge that league. SFL has a deeper league, though Pittsburg would do well in that league I think. Not enough consistency throughout the rest of the BVAL. More good teams in the SFL

Way back in the day when I went to and was playing at Branham our whole world was West Valley Athletic League and CCS we never even heard of NCS. I think Swervin Mervin Fernandez was at Andrew Hill at that time. Back in those days the WVAL consisted of:

Branham
Los Gatos
Camden
Campbell
Del Mar
Leigh
Westmont
Blackford
Prospect
Saratoga

Saratoga left the WVAL in 1976, my final season. That probably explains why Branham faced Saratoga in round one of the playoffs at Spartan Stadium. Saratoga went on to win CCS that year . Prospect was Branham's homecoming game every Thanksgiving morning.
How'd Brahnam get to host Prospect every year? Or was it every other year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT