ADVERTISEMENT

Begovich headed to Stanford next year

Very risky move to pass up true offers for a coaching staff that could possibly
not be there when he gets there.

Why would you say that the Stanford coaching staff won't be there next season? They're doing a great job recruiting & have a lot of young, long athletes - if they stay healthy, they'll be very competitive in the Pac-12 this season & beyond.

It doesn't really matter what I think I am not the AD or president but let me ask this
Question can you name any schools with confidence other then Washington state and MAYBE cal that
they will finish in front of in the pac 12 that league is much improved this year.

Can argue Pac-12 last year and continuing into this year is down. Other west coast programs are getting more run (Nevada, Gonzaga) where as some of the prominent Pac-12 programs are either under-performing (UCLA) or getting negative news because of scandal (Arizona, Oregon). Arizona State and USC look like they will be very good this year. Cal is in some dark times since Cuonzo departed. I can't even tell you who Stanford's coach is.

Reactions: jordan24
You are correct iamgearyblvd it has been way down and I should have clarified that I was speaking
Directly to this year being much improved Oregon,Washington,ucla and arizona state will
all be good teams i expect that league will get at least 4 teams into the dance this
year.

Not saying he's Scottie Pippen or Jeff Hornacek, but both of those guys were walk-ons to their respective college teams. I hope Begovich has a lot of success at Stanford.

As for the Coach being fired, I do not see that happening. Jerod Haase is a solid coach, and hes done a great job recruiting his first two classes. Daejon Davis is going to be a NBA-caliber player. Also KZ Okpala and Oscar De Silva are listed on numerous NBA draft websites.

Will Baker a top 100 recruit in the Class of 2019 is considering going there. They already got Tyrell Terry who is another top 100 player and Cassius Stanley, though unlikely, is still considering them as well.

So to say Stanford's program is suffering, is a completely uninformed statement. I don't know if they'll win the Pac 12, but I think they def. have a shot at the NCAA tourney this year and beyond.

At Stanford, you do not have to have the success that Mike Montgomery had to keep your job. If you generally finish in top half of conference, make the NCAAs 2/3 of the time and the NITs when you don't, once in a while finish in the top 3 of pac 12, run a clean program and put guys in the NBA every so often, you are likely to keep your job for a while. It is not UCLA. To me, Haase is on the road to doing this and appears to be more successful than Dawkins (which to me is a surprise because I thought Johnny would do well at Stanford). To be frank with the way these conferences have gone, the top 2-3 teams in the Ivy's can likely compete with the bottom 2-3 teams in the Pac 12. Spread is not as great as it once was as Pac 12 is down and most Ivy squads are better and deeper than they have been in decades.

A walk on opportunity at Stanford sounds just as good as a true offer from Ivy League schools. Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships. A true offer is an invitation to walk on.

Reactions: BadBucks
Suffering Bruin Alumni like myself have to put up with another year of Steve Alford. Ughhh!

The UCs are all strapped for cash. Cant afford to fire an employee and pay him all that guaranteed money and then hire someone else at another pricey contract. This is why Cal cant get a decent coach because they are penny-pinching with tight pockets. At least kids still want to go to UCLA because of location. Not even the Bay Areas top kids want to play for Cal.

You cant teach height. I believe he has siblings there. Seems like academics not an issue (evidently, money either). Good luck.

The UCs are all strapped for cash. Cant afford to fire an employee and pay him all that guaranteed money and then hire someone else at another pricey contract. This is why Cal cant get a decent coach because they are penny-pinching with tight pockets. At least kids still want to go to UCLA because of location. Not even the Bay Areas top kids want to play for Cal.

Cal's athletic budget is in deeper trouble than UCLA's due, in part, to the debt incurred by Berkeley's extensive stadium construction work. It's a fiscal albatross which has greatly limited Cal's spending priorities. Cal's mediocre sports revenue generation doesn't provide significant dollars as well, when compared to UCLA and others. Look for more cuts in the Cal athletic program soon.

Haase has to be on thin ice at Stanford. Has proven to be a great recruiter (like Dawkins) that has failed to provide the results on court. This year is important as Davis and Okpala are likely gone after this season. Most walk ons do not get scholarships but this is especially fragile if the staff is let go. But if he got into Stanford - playing or not - he should take that opportunity.

Old song moment...

"What's it all about, Alfieeeee...... Is it just the moment YOU'RE FIRED!??!??"

Go BRUINS!

Reactions: jordan24
The pac12 is just awful in hoops. Such bad basketball. All these 4 and 5 star so called kids that end up at UCLA and they can't win. I do like what Hurley is going at ASU and with the Thompson brothers Oregon State has improved.

Reactions: Genethia
Will be interesting who will land in Westwood. Bruin hoops has been awful!

Will be interesting who will land in Westwood. Bruin hoops has been awful!

I'm often thought about why hoops and football at UCLA and even USC for that matter is so bad. Is it because of the distractions in LA? Some of these kids seem to fizzle. I mean you got to an SEC school and its basically sports, school, -repeat.
I don't get it. Its not like the talent isn't there.

I'm often thought about why hoops and football at UCLA and even USC for that matter is so bad. Is it because of the distractions in LA? Some of these kids seem to fizzle. I mean you got to an SEC school and its basically sports, school, -repeat.
I don't get it. Its not like the talent isn't there.
ben howland had them in 3 straight final fours 10 years ago.... that isnt exactly easy to do

A decade ago is a long time...... They have some of the best players in the nation year in and out.
Yup. Currently 17 Bruins in the NBA

Kyle Anderson
2013 - 2014 Memphis Grizzlies 2014 - 2018 11/06/2014
Ike Anigbogu 2017 Indiana Pacers 2017 - 2018 10/20/2017
Trevor Ariza 2004 Phoenix Suns 2004 - 2018 11/03/2004
Lonzo Ball 2017 Los Angeles Lakers 2017 - 2018 10/19/2017
Jonah Bolden 2016 Philadelphia 76ers Rookie Rookie
Darren Collison 2006 - 2009 Indiana Pacers 2009 - 2017 10/28/2009
Aaron Holiday 2016 - 2018 Indiana Pacers Rookie Rookie
Jrue Holiday 2009 New Orleans Pelicans 2009 - 2018 10/30/2009
Zach LaVine 2014 Chicago Bulls 2014 - 2018 10/30/2014
TJ Leaf 2017 Indiana Pacers 2017 - 2018 10/18/2017
Kevon Looney 2015 Golden State Warriors 2015 - 2018 01/27/2016
Kevin Love 2008 Cleveland Cavaliers 2008 - 2018 10/29/2008
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute 2006 - 2008 Los Angeles Clippers 2008 - 2018 10/28/2008
Norman Powell 2012 - 2015 Toronto Raptors 2015 - 2018 11/01/2015
Travis Wear 2012 - 2014 Los Angeles Lakers 2014 - 2018 10/29/2014
Thomas Welsh 2015 - 2018 Denver Nuggets Rookie Rookie
Russell Westbrook

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT