ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro and Granite Bay at Del Oro

Def the game of the week. SFL is 18-2 preseason with only 2 losses to powers Clovis West and Timpview -Utah. Best league in Norcal. I have DO a slight favorite. 28-24 type game I see.
100 percent best league in NorCal. Still funny to me that the league is literally a playoff game every game, yet all the teams get nitpicked for their non league schedules. Lol

Reactions: Dan12Kings
Yes, there is such a plan in which I've personally seen up close in practices and games. So there are coaches using such a plan. I'm still trying to understand how pulling your starter after a quarter or two is a viable plan. I don't see that as a viable development plan for either QB especially the starter but to each his own I guess.
Exactly the reasoning behind usually leaving our QB in to get reps. Even if it's just to hand the ball off. There is no replication of game speed anywhere but the actual game.

Watched some Granite Bay film and checked out their stats. Few observations:
  • OL looks big but would not say overly athletic
  • More run heavy vs pass
  • Agree with prior observations that QB is not an Aaron Rogers with passing
  • QB has some speed and makes good decisions to pull in and run and seems effective on designed QB keepers
  • Pass efficiency not great
  • Effective in red zone, most TD's are runs
  • Overall they play good disciplined defense, DL gets decent penetration(7 sacks & 6 interceptions)
  • At least one of the LB's has good speed and closes gaps fast
Monterey Trail is a run team and did not run effectively against DO. Will be interesting to see what GB runs @DO on the ground. Looks like GB's best ground weapon is the QB. Kind of hard to tell looking at film but would not say offensive skill positions have blazing speed.

I expect that DO will do well defending GB's run game but not shut it down. If GB get's DO out of their basic 4-2 defense and QB runs between tackles this could spell trouble for DO. I also expect DO is not going to run over GB's defense and will have to play a more balanced game.

I don't expect a high scoring game maybe something like GB/Vacaville game. I'll give DO a slight edge in the game as DO offense is more balanced and it is a home game. Being a bitter rivalry game anything can happen...

Interesting tidbits from DO tweet(I have not verified but assume this is all correct):
20th Anniversary of DO/GB. 1st game 1997....DO leads series 11-9. DO on 5 game winning streak and 8 of last 9

Sounds about right. The DO DC knows the GB offense better than GB does.....he's been doing it that long.

Having watched many D.O. games in the past, I'm curious why the DC is so reluctant to bring pressure on a passing team? Last year I did notice that his kid got to blitz a few times but other than that, not much!!!

Having watched many D.O. games in the past, I'm curious why the DC is so reluctant to bring pressure on a passing team? Last year I did notice that his kid got to blitz a few times but other than that, not much!!!
For blitzes to be successful the defense needs to be able to cover receivers man to man as you don't have enough defenders to defend effectively in zone. My guess why DO may not blitz much especially against teams with speed is because they don't always match the speed of the receivers thus vulnerable to big plays. While they do blitz it is usually a LB and or corner blitz and not a full blitz with all LB's. Again that's my opinion.

Reactions: RidgeRider
To Pontiacs point, DO has two kids who are next level guys. #6 Guzman 6'2 175 WR and #55 Martinson 6'2 225 Linebacker. No disrespect to returning first team all-league selection MLB #3 Andrew Birch but there is a fear level when Martinson comes screaming off the edge or blitzing up the middle. DO DC knows GB well but to beat Folsom DO has to pressure the QB and Martinson is clearly the answer.

Reactions: pontiacjoe
... but there is a fear level when Martinson comes screaming off the edge or blitzing up the middle. DO DC knows GB well but to beat Folsom DO has to pressure the QB and Martinson is clearly the answer.
Agree on the need to pressure the QB and that #55 is key to do this but if you are implying blitzing only #55 then I don't agree. I think #55 needs to be part of most blitz packages but you need to blitz at least 3, IMO, to create that free unaccounted for blitzer to put immediate pressure on QB. If DO can find alignment/personnel schemes to consistently create #55 as the unaccounted for blitzer then we are talking but still need to solve the pass coverage problem. Folsom completely exploited DO's attempts at blitzes with quick dumps to RB, TE or WR's.

If you are going to blitz the spread it would be nice to be able to send 7 and play Cover 0; however, what SFL schools have the athletes to play Cover 0 against Folsom athletes? None! This is why I think Grant will do well in the SFL.....they will always have those athletes. Sending 7 when the offense can only block 6 means someone is free......tight Cover 0 takes away the quick short passes......the outside blitzer can check to cover the RB if he releases. IMO its either that or a full 8 man zone coverage, either cover 4 or cover 2 or checks to any type of trips.

If you are going to blitz the spread it would be nice to be able to send 7 and play Cover 0; however, what SFL schools have the athletes to play Cover 0 against Folsom athletes? None! This is why I think Grant will do well in the SFL.....they will always have those athletes. Sending 7 when the offense can only block 6 means someone is free......tight Cover 0 takes away the quick short passes......the outside blitzer can check to cover the RB if he releases. IMO its either that or a full 8 man zone coverage, either cover 4 or cover 2 or checks to any type of trips.

Exactly. It's a real dilemma. DO has a lot of speed with their juniors. They MIGHT give Folsom some issues.....next year.

Not sure any of the other programs will outside of Grant and maybe OR.

8 man zone coverage is what cost D.O. a section championship against Oakridge in 2004!!!! QB had all day and Ajiratutu always found the ball that game! Worst high school defensive performance due to scheme in a decade......

8 man zone coverage is what cost D.O. a section championship against Oakridge in 2004!!!! QB had all day and Ajiratutu always found the ball that game! Worst high school defensive performance due to scheme in a decade......
I remember that game well. DO beat OR in the first game in 2004 so they probably thought their zone scheme was good enough for Section game. IMO DO was out coached in that game where they did not adjust. In the second quarter OR QB threw a 73yard bomb to Tutu for a TD followed by a second pass TD to Tutu also in the secon quarter. They made no significant defensive adjustments to counter Tutu and QB's on fire arm. Was clear you had to man Tutu and pressure QB which DO did not do and yes it cost them.

Reactions: pontiacjoe
Interesting tidbits from DO tweet(I have not verified but assume this is all correct):
20th Anniversary of DO/GB. 1st game 1997....DO leads series 11-9. DO on 5 game winning streak and 8 of last 9

It's correct info. While DO has won 8 of 9, all but 3 of the games have been decided by 8 points or less.
GB's lone win was by 14, while DO has a 21 and 13 point win. The rest of the game have been really close. 4 of them decided by 4 points or less.

Prior to DO's current run, Granite Bay had won 8 of the previous 11.

I haven't seen much of either team so far this season.So I'd probably just go with the home team in this one, who also happens to be the team that's won 8 of 9. But I probably just jinxed it for them so feel free to light me up, SMR!

It's a bittersweet defense at grant they play with no safety help every man for itself against rocklin they either were getting a sack or a slant completed on them the thing about grant is they don't really switch up where they're blitzing from it's almost always up the middle once you adjust you'll have success cause they aren't switching it up no matter who the team is...sac high gave them fits cause they have the kids that can match up and like you guys stated above not many sfl teams have that luxury. And that's why I know Folsom will not like playing grant every year...but on the topic I like Del oro by 10

Exactly!

cover 3 or 2 or 4 is basic cover 0 is a lot harder
Cover zero separates the boys from the man. My homie Tony "DB Guru" Perry out of Fresno is the master at training DB's. He's getting more DB's college looks with his 7 on 7 camps then high school coaches. Jim Harbaugh attended and taught at his camp at Roosevelt HS in Fresno this past summer. Youtube it...

Cover zero separates the boys from the man. My homie Tony "DB Guru" Perry out of Fresno is the master at training DB's. He's getting more DB's college looks with his 7 on 7 camps then high school coaches. Jim Harbaugh attended and taught at his camp at Roosevelt HS in Fresno this past summer. Youtube it...

Yeah but man it's a lot of pressure on the db that's a pure " we don't respect you" defense

Fresno got a lot of talent out there btw..a lot of d1 corners come from Fresno...a grant vs Edison is well overdue...they played Bullard, central,Bakersfield but haven't played Edison yet and that's probably the team out there that mirrors grant the most

Cal preps has both teams rated very close but most rankings have Granite Bay ranked over Del Oro. We will see if that changes tomorrow. If both teams are healthy I don't see decided advantage by either team. DO may still be playing some backup OL but I give a slight nod to DO in this one in front of big home crowd and more balanced offense.

This is the only meaningful SFL game this week and will set the first SFL reference.

Cal preps has both teams rated very close but most rankings have Granite Bay ranked over Del Oro. We will see if that changes tomorrow. If both teams are healthy I don't see decided advantage by either team. DO may still be playing some backup OL but I give a slight nod to DO in this one in front of big home crowd and more balanced offense.

This is the only meaningful SFL game this week and will set the first SFL reference.

Starting OL is basically healthy tomorrow v the Grizzlies...but thin. This one may may go down to wire, OT win by D.O. like back in '13.

Fresno got a lot of talent out there btw..a lot of d1 corners come from Fresno...a grant vs Edison is well overdue...they played Bullard, central,Bakersfield but haven't played Edison yet and that's probably the team out there that mirrors grant the most
Totally agree future, Fresno has always been talent rich and it's been a big football town for many decades. As you've said, there's a whole lot of talent in the "No". My guy "Tony DB Guru Perry" helped the Edison Tigers win their last Section Championship in 2014. He left the following year to help put Central on the map in which they are now the BIG DAWG of the Central Section. Snatching that title away from both the Clovis West Golden Eagles and the Bakersfield Drillers. During this time, Edison has decline to a one and done playoff team. So I would believe the Central Grizzles mirrors the Grant Pacers more so then the Tigers at the present. To know Fresno football demographics you have to know that the athletes go where the best coaches go. So any given year a "no name" school could knock off a Section perennial power program like CW or Bakersfield.

However, back in the day the Tigers and the Pacers definitely resembled each other athletically. No other school South of Pittsburgh and North of LA resembled the athletes at Grant more so then the Tigers from Fresno. I was actually at the McClymond's, Edison and Grant Scrimmage @ Pacers Stadium in 2009. This is when Tim McDonald was the Head coach of the Tigers. McClymond didn't show up that day but Edison and Grant put on a show or better yet a hitting clinic for all the fans to see. Peeps were shocked to see Edison go toe to toe with Grant on their field in a very hard hitting, helmet cracking, slobber knocker and strap your chinstrap up scrimmage. That was the hardest helmet to helmet hitting game or scrimmage I had seen in over two decades. Those boys from both sides was coming with it. I swear they were knocking fire from each other. One of the Pacers RB was taken off the field on a stretcher after laying on the field for over 10 minutes from a helmet to helmet hit with the Tigers FS. I found out a week later from a Pacers player that he was okay. But yeah, I think it's time for the Pacers to take a visit back to the "No" to see the Grizzles now that the DB Guru is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: future10
Totally agree future, Fresno has always been talent rich and it's been a big football town for many decades. As you've said, there's a whole lot of talent in the "No". My guy "Tony DB Guru Perry" helped the Edison Tigers win their last Section Championship in 2014. He left the following year to help put Central on the map in which they are now the BIG DAWG of the Central Section. Snatching that title away from both the Clovis West Golden Eagles and the Bakersfield Drillers. During this time, Edison has decline to a one and done playoff team. So I would believe the Central Grizzles mirrors the Grant Pacers more so then the Tigers at the present. To know Fresno football demographics you have to know that the athletes go where the best coaches go. So any given year a "no name" school could knock of a Section perennial power program like CW or Bakersfield.

However, back in the day the Tigers and the Pacers definitely resembled each other athletically. No other school South of Pittsburgh and North of LA resembled the athletes at Grant more so then the Tigers from Fresno. I was actually at the McClymond's, Edison and Grant Scrimmage @ Pacers Stadium in 2009. This is when Tim McDonald was the Head coach of the Tigers. McClymond didn't show up that day but Edison and Grant put on a show or better yet a hitting clinic for all the fans to see. Peeps were shocked to see Edison go toe to toe with Grant on their field in a very hard hitting, helmet cracking, slobber knocker and strap your chinstrap up scrimmage. That was the hardest helmet to helmet hitting game or scrimmage I had seen in over two decades. Those boys from both sides was coming with it. I swear they were knocking fire from each other. One of the Pacers RB was taken off the field on a stretcher after laying on the field for over 10 minutes from a helmet to helmet hit with the Tigers FS. I found out a week later from a Pacers player that he was okay. But yeah, I think it's time for the Pacers to take a visit back to the "No" to see the Grizzles now that the DB Guru is there.

If grant would’ve got past Folsom and Edison would’ve got past Oceanside I had a bet lined up between the two schools for state. Grant lost a big piece of its program when Reggie Harris left to st.thomas aquinas. You can see the drop off of talent at grant but that’s not saying much a drop off for them is no future nfl players but they’ll always have Big polys and shift athletes it’s the years when they get a qb is when they win it their offensive playcalling loses them more games then anything I know you seen at the scrimmage run 95% of the snaps

Reactions: JoeMixon
If grant would’ve got past Folsom and Edison would’ve got past Oceanside I had a bet lined up between the two schools for state. Grant lost a big piece of its program when Reggie Harris left to st.thomas aquinas. You can see the drop off of talent at grant but that’s not saying much a drop off for them is no future nfl players but they’ll always have Big polys and shift athletes it’s the years when they get a qb is when they win it their offensive playcalling loses them more games then anything I know you seen at the scrimmage run 95% of the snaps
Totally agree with you bruh. Grant usually beats Grant. That's what I've witnessed the last two decades.

Last edited:
Totally agree with you bruh. Grant usually beats Grant. That's what I've witnessed the best two decades.
They’re going spread now hopefully that softens the box this years team is big and fast but I think it’ll take some time to figure it out the qb that the spread fit transfered to s school in Stockton I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at St. Mary’s next year.

They’re going spread now hopefully that softens the box this years team is big and fast but I think it’ll take some time to figure it out the qb that the spread fit transfered to s school in Stockton I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at St. Mary’s next year.
If Grant runs the spread efficiently I see them being unstoppable on offense with the talent they get year in and year out. I hope it works out for them because we need another National Power here in NorCal. As much as Pitt resembles Grant I only see them as a perennial power. Grant have all the tools to become a National Power in my opinion. They have a slew of alums currently playing in the NFL. They also have past NFL players working with the football program directly or indirectly. Grant sits in one of the best communities in Cali if not the best community that produce great athletes.

Reactions: future10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT