ADVERTISEMENT

Does Folsom deserve the State Open Division Finals Game?

NorCalSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2001
Seems they are just dominating St Mary's who dominated Serra. Serra dominated St Francis. If St Francis wins would help DLS but seems could impact choice. DLS has win over St Johns but Folsom arguably would have defeated them as well. DLS has nice win over Central Fresno, but this choice seems like it isn't given DLS will get it. Folsom ran through arguably the top one or two leagues in northern CA. Any other thoughts?

De La Salle gets the nod to the Open. Tougher schedule ( St Johns, Central, Bishop Gorman and St Francis)

The teams listed respectively done well in their league. St Francis the only team that weren't league champions)

If St. Francis wins tonight, that will be a nice extra boost for De La Salle.

As much as I would like to see Folsom get it, I'm going to say no. Their SOS just isn't there despite league and playoff schedule. Although @jiggy79 mentioning BG in your list obviously goes against DLS since they took a beating from them; however the other teams help them. The loss to BG and the SOS of Folsom I believe will be the 2 points of discussion between which team gets selected.

Of course we all need to see if DLS handles business tonight with Pitt. That game could definitely change a lot.

Nope! St. Mary's beat Folsom by a bigger score last year and DLS went to the Open. Sorry, not going to happen. Nice try.

Nope! St. Mary's beat Folsom by a bigger score last year and DLS went to the Open. Sorry, not going to happen. Nice try.
Not a nice try...just discussion. I think DLS will go, but really have only one really big win with St Johns. BG dominated them. I would like to see DLS go against Mater Dei as they will be huge underdog which you don't see all that often.

Reactions: awood1
My thoughts are Folsom would not have beaten that St. John's team that DLS and Bosco struggled to beat and they need to beef up their preseason SOS before discussing the Open.

That was DLS best win and it was close. Ran a project a matchup in Calpreps since Folsom and St John's have similar Freeman ratinsg and the score comes out in Folsom advantage.

[2017] Folsom (CA) 34, [2017] St. John's (Washington, DC) 28

DLS defeated St Johns 35-31 and a very similar score to Folsom prediction.

I do think DLS winning St Johns puts them above Interestingly the calpreps projection has DLS favored over Folsom by 1 point. Not that it counts but it seems these two teams would be an interesting game to see.

That was DLS best win and it was close. Ran a project a matchup in Calpreps since Folsom and St John's have similar Freeman ratinsg and the score comes out in Folsom advantage.

[2017] Folsom (CA) 34, [2017] St. John's (Washington, DC) 28

DLS defeated St Johns 35-31 and a very similar score to Folsom prediction.

I do think DLS winning St Johns puts them above Interestingly the calpreps projection has DLS favored over Folsom by 1 point. Not that it counts but it seems these two teams would be an interesting game to see.
So with that logic Folsom can beat National power St. John Bosco as well. I don't care how many ratings suggest Folsom is better than St. Johns, St. John Bosco or DLS for that matter, I'm not buying it. They've only played NorCal powers and that doesn't put them on the National level in which all of these teams are.

Reactions: Deltadodger
So with that logic Folsom can beat National power St. John Bosco as well. I don't care how many ratings suggest Folsom is better than St. Johns, St. John Bosco or DLS for that matter, I'm not buying it. They've only played NorCal powers and that doesn't put them on the National level in which all of these teams are.
Freeman projection has SJB as 11 point favorite over Folsom.

Another reason DLS will go to the Open and Folsom will play Central is because if they send Folsom to the Open, it will be DLS vs Central for the D1AA regional and we already had that game. Again, it's not going to happen, just as CalHiSports had shared.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Whether Folsom is better than DLS right now isn’t the question, the question is who DESERVES the open? It’s DLS, period! IMHO Folsom needs to earn being picked over DLS by playing some out of region powers. Reward those teams who challenge themselves. Any idea whose on Folsom Non-League schedule next year?

Reactions: ThunderRam and remc
Where are the state games being played this year? Orange County/LA or Sacramento State College?

Whether Folsom is better than DLS right now isn’t the question, the question is who DESERVES the open? It’s DLS, period! IMHO Folsom needs to earn being picked over DLS by playing some out of region powers. Reward those teams who challenge themselves. Any idea whose on Folsom Non-League schedule next year?
Pitt never played DLS this close after their 1991 win or maybe it was also close back in 2002 and in one other year after that. But this year the 24-7 score is a HUGE improvement vs the last time they met at Ncs finals and the score was a whooping 70-7. Maybe next year with a lot of starters returning including the QB and #55 Bandes, it'll be Pitt's year to really bring down DLS - a Vic Galli dream. Anyway, with DLS going to Open and Pitt to represent Div1 for NCS who will Pitt play next? Top teams that Pitt has beaten are now section champs Liberty, Serra. Who else are Div 1 section champs who can be slated with Pitt?

DLS not exactly dominating Pitt. Does make you. Wonder
Pitts Dline is very tough.DLS wasn’t going to just run through them with impunity.Held DLS to 17 points with about 6 mins left in the game. Stopped DLS on 4 th and short a couple times. DLS had to work offensively. Pitt should have brought in #3 at QB a little earlier. His speed might have made a difference

Pitts Dline is very tough.DLS wasn’t going to just run through them with impunity.Held DLS to 17 points with about 6 mins left in the game. Stopped DLS on 4 th and short a couple times. DLS had to work offensively. Pitt should have brought in #3 at QB a little earlier. His speed might have made a difference
Agree with your comment. My wife exactly said the same thing about #3 Willy Harts- he could have made the big difference in offense as QB. Well Justin Boyd is still young and if he returns next year I hope he matures and throw away his nasty habit of dilly-dallying with ball. He needs to be a quick decision maker. So, we'll see next year, he should learn from this DLS loss.

Nope! St. Mary's beat Folsom by a bigger score last year and DLS went to the Open.

Not exactly the same circumstances either. Last season, St. Marys had a 39-pt loss to SJB and DLS only had a close loss to East. This season Folsom has no losses and DLS has a 27 pt loss to Bishop Gorman.

Having said that, the key factor remains that Folsom hasn't played anybody noteworthy outside of it's own league and section. We all know that the SFL is one of the best leagues in NorCal, probably the best, but to edge out DLS for the Open you're gonna have to do what Grant Union did in 2008 when they beat 2-State Champs. W/O those two signature wins coupled with DLS's close loss to Don Bosco Prep, the Pacers wouldn't have landed the Open.

Folsom doesn't have to beat 2 State Champs as GHS did, but they need to schedule and beat at least one marquee program from SoCal or out-of-state. If they had scheduled Mission Viejo, POLY or a Trinity League team and beat them -- they'd be getting a lot more respect and consideration for the OPEN.

They would have had a better case this season had Coeur d'Alene won Idaho's 5A, but they ended up losing to Highland. Even then, that doesn't trump DLS's win over St John's who won WCAC.

Hell, I don’t even think Folsom has to BEAT a national program, just play one and show you belong, then you can at least get some consideration.

Agree, but I don't even think they need to play an elite National program -- though I would like to see them actually schedule one. If they merely scheduled a decent PAC-5 program or two, that'd go a long way.

Sac scheduled JSerra last season. If Folsom had done that and won, that'd carry some weight.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Guys, it doesn't really matter right? I mean, combine Francis, Folsom and DLS, and the game would still be over by halftime. Mater Dei is the best team this century.

Funny how before last nights games there was no discussion on Folsom deserving the open game nod. Nothing had changed. DLS gets open nod.

Guys, it doesn't really matter right? I mean, combine Francis, Folsom and DLS, and the game would still be over by halftime. Mater Dei is the best team this century.

Agreed, It doesn’t really matter. Folsom gives NorCal a chance in the DI-A game. MD looks unstoppable in the Open

Reactions: awood1
Agreed, It doesn’t really matter. Folsom gives NorCal a chance in the DI-A game. MD looks unstoppable in the Open

Exactly. MD just boat raced through the SCAL playoffs. The finals for them will be a joy ride. Think about this. First section title of them since 1999! That is crazy.
Folsom is a lot better however than many of us thought including me. I really don't think the gap this year with DLS is that large at all.

Reactions: remc
Seems they are just dominating St Mary's who dominated Serra. Serra dominated St Francis. If St Francis wins would help DLS but seems could impact choice. DLS has win over St Johns but Folsom arguably would have defeated them as well. DLS has nice win over Central Fresno, but this choice seems like it isn't given DLS will get it. Folsom ran through arguably the top one or two leagues in northern CA. Any other thoughts?
Interesting discussion and quite frankly, NorCalSportsFan, I'm surprised you brought it up. Funny thing is, I was thinking the same thing. IMO this is one of DLS's weakest seasons in recent years and Folsom, although not having nearly as strong SOS, has survived the season unblemished. In 2008, Grant was chosen over DLS for the SBG Open bid. The scenario is not too different this year.

DLS will probably get the Open bid but there is distinct possibility that Folsom could get it this year.

I assume you meant DI-AA division. The DIAA SoCal game will probably pair Helix (SDS) and Oaks Christian (SS) together. The winner of that game will be tough competition for NorCal's DLS/Folsom/Central.

Comments from last night's game: Pitt played very inspired football but DLS is the walking wounded. A JV call-up and a LB (Rizzo) who hasn't carried the ball all year playing at RB much of the 2nd half.
Both Kairee and Garret are out which hurts DLS on both sides of the ball. DLS will be crushed by MD..
Let the committee make their decision however, some consideration should be given as to who has the best shot at competing with the #1 team in the nation..

Comments from last night's game: Pitt played very inspired football but DLS is the walking wounded. A JV call-up and a LB (Rizzo) who hasn't carried the ball all year playing at RB much of the 2nd half.
Both Kairee and Garret are out which hurts DLS on both sides of the ball. DLS will be crushed by MD..
Let the committee make their decision however, some consideration should be given as to who has the best shot at competing with the #1 team in the nation..
Regardless of the DLS injuries it would be best for them to play MD due to their SOS. DLS is battle tested and would give MD a better game than either Central or Folsom.

Probably so. And even if you scheduled a quality opponent, should it count for a lot if you got whipped by that qualify opponent? I mean, whipped.

I'm sure Mater Dei - Coach Rollnson wants to avenge himself from being defeated 4 times in a row..by De La Salle, But I'm rooting for a 5-0 record :p~ against Mater Dei

Pitt never played DLS this close after their 1991 win or maybe it . Who else are Div 1 section champs who can be slated with Pitt?

My guess is Granite Bay will play Pitt in D1A.
Folsom plays Central in D1AA.
Go SFL!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT