ADVERTISEMENT

Norcal Tipoff Dublin-Riordan

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Riordan falls into a 12 point hole in the first half and is too much to overcome a talented Dublin Gaels today even without its star junior guard, Robby Beasley. Gaels were on their way to what appeared a rout, but the scrappy Crusaders make a spirited comeback and lose in the final seconds. Lots of basketball talent out on the floor this afternoon. Perhaps the Crusaders were reading their press clippings too much. It's good to take a punch in the mouth as it is now time to learn from this game and get to work.
Here's the article from the SF Examiner:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-preps-basketball-archbishop-riordan-drops-frustrating-game-dublin-norcal-tip-off-classic/

In all honesty, why is Riordan ranked so high? These kids haven't even played together in high school setting (and a main player not even eligible yet). Too much hype; too early. A year away.

I would have to agree with you on the initial high ranking, since this is a team that is playing together for the first time as evidenced in the first half. The Gaels, especially #1 E. Alonso. That kid was on fire in the first half! Curtin substituted freely (including playing sophs McPherson and Hubbard during their crucial 4th quarter comeback! )to find out what combinations worked.
Je'Lani Clark was a beast in the second half and he finished with 31 points! His shots were going in and out as well as other Crusader shots in the first half and their defensive intensity was atrocious and played a step slower than the talented and deep Gaels. 6-8 jr Riiny had an impressive debut hitting all of his 3 pointers and finishing in double figures. Many Crusaders missed on some open 3 point shots throughout...
There's no such thing as a good loss, but certainly the caliber of opponent Riordan played for its first game beats playing Oceana or South City. Some work to do, but looking forward to this season.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I would have to agree with you on the initial high ranking, since this is a team that is playing together for the first time as evidenced in the first half. The Gaels, especially #1 E. Alonso. That kid was on fire in the first half! Curtin substituted freely (including playing sophs McPherson and Hubbard during their crucial 4th quarter comeback! )to find out what combinations worked.
Je'Lani Clark was a beast in the second half and he finished with 31 points! His shots were going in and out as well as other Crusader shots in the first half and their defensive intensity was atrocious and played a step slower than the talented and deep Gaels. 6-8 jr Riiny had an impressive debut hitting all of his 3 pointers and finishing in double figures. Many Crusaders missed on some open 3 point shots throughout...
There's no such thing as a good loss, but certainly the caliber of opponent Riordan played for its first game beats playing Oceana or South City. Some work to do, but looking forward to this season.

You know better than me, but with the composition of this very talented team, why is your 6’8 guy shooting 3’s? There aren’t many 6’8 guys roaming around the perimeter in hs unless you have a couple of 6’9 or taller teammates. But you did say he hit his threes so maybe he has range. Good for him for working on that part of his game.

You know better than me, but with the composition of this very talented team, why is your 6’8 guy shooting 3’s? There aren’t many 6’8 guys roaming around the perimeter in hs unless you have a couple of 6’9 or taller teammates. But you did say he hit his threes so maybe he has range. Good for him for working on that part of his game.
Dublin was playing straight up man D and putting Riiny out in the perimeter cleared out the big guys so Je'Lani and the other guards could slash to the hole. When the area closed up, Riiny was wide open to receive the kick out pass... He played quite a bit down low grabbing rebounds and changing shots with his length. The kid also cut to the hole on weak side and drove the lane from his 3-spot, finished and sank all his free throws. He's definitely worked on his game this summer with Team Arsenal and the Crusader coaches. Nice to see Crusader alums, James Gordon, Dwayne Fontana and Ray Kelly in the stands.

Dublin was playing straight up man D and putting Riiny out in the perimeter cleared out the big guys so Je'Lani and the other guards could slash to the hole. When the area closed up, Riiny was wide open to receive the kick out pass... He played quite a bit down low grabbing rebounds and changing shots with his length. The kid also cut to the hole on weak side and drove the lane from his 3-spot, finished and sank all his free throws. He's definitely worked on his game this summer with Team Arsenal and the Crusader coaches. Nice to see Crusader alums, James Gordon, Dwayne Fontana and Ray Kelly in the stands.

Will be definitely interesting when Bryce is eligible. Jelanie’s strength is when he has the ball. Bryce needs the ball as well. I’m sure they have figured it out playing all those years together. Both are dynamic scorers. Lots of growth for this team to go through this year. Looking forward to it.

You bet not lose a game or you will automatically be questioned. You win a game then your the best thing around, smh. I posted earlier , weeks ago, that Dublin had a good team with or without Robbie. They won by 3 points, state rankings had Dublin in the 20"s, Riordan in the 30's...game went as it should of ? 1st game of the season . Riordan is solid without Bryce. With Bryce they are Dangerous. Bryce doesn't just bring scoring. He will bring leadership, assists, heart, etc...
Riordan as a team will grow as the season continues as all teams will. Lani played good tonight and will continue to get better and make his team mates better. Bryce will be there when it counts, please count them out because it will make it all the more sweeter.

You bet not lose a game or you will automatically be questioned. You win a game then your the best thing around, smh. I posted earlier , weeks ago, that Dublin had a good team with or without Robbie. They won by 3 points, state rankings had Dublin in the 20"s, Riordan in the 30's...game went as it should of ? 1st game of the season . Riordan is solid without Bryce. With Bryce they are Dangerous. Bryce doesn't just bring scoring. He will bring leadership, assists, heart, etc...
Riordan as a team will grow as the season continues as all teams will. Lani played good tonight and will continue to get better and make his team mates better. Bryce will be there when it counts, please count them out because it will make it all the more sweeter.

Will be rooting for these kids because of Bryce. Lucky to have watched him in green, white and blue. Now he has a SQUAD. We’ll be seeing alley-oop passes and a whole new arsenal from Bryce these next two years. Will surely be fun.

And no by means does the first game of the year tell how good/bad your team is. Long long way to go.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
iamgearyblvd, great call on the Irish over The Hall this morning. SHC played very well with Cheng leading the way. Irish guard play, quickness, Cheng and solid D were the keys. The Hall's 6-5 Burris, was saddled by foul trouble throughout, which was caused by SHC's aggressiveness and defense around the soph star. The Irish also contained Miles Amos for most of the game forcing the other Hall players to step up. SHC should be competitive in all of their games this season.

Thought both teams played hard and were both pressing a bit early on as evidenced by the
sloppy play in the first half.Riordan will be just fine and really dangerous when they get Bryce
From what I saw they will need to improve in finding some sort of inside presence so
that they are not solely dependant on perimeter shooting.Dublin who were questioned
by some on this board showed they are for real they go 10 deep and can come
At you in waves they put up 73 with there best player in street clothes.Both of the
these teams look headed for a real nice season.

Thought both teams played hard and were both pressing a bit early on as evidenced by the
sloppy play in the first half.Riordan will be just fine and really dangerous when they get Bryce
From what I saw they will need to improve in finding some sort of inside presence so
that they are not solely dependant on perimeter shooting.Dublin who were questioned
by some on this board showed they are for real they go 10 deep and can come
At you in waves they put up 73 with there best player in street clothes.Both of the
these teams look headed for a real nice season.
Wasnt at the game, but Riordan gave up 73 w/ Dublin missing their best player? Read alot about Bryce as a dynamic player the last 2 years, hopefully transcends onto the defensive end as well. Will need to tighten up the D before League starts. But its only game 1, plenty of time to get on par. Just nice to see Riordan mentioned in the upper echelon of teams again.

iamgearyblvd, great call on the Irish over The Hall this morning. SHC played very well with Cheng leading the way. Irish guard play, quickness, Cheng and solid D were the keys. The Hall's 6-5 Burris, was saddled by foul trouble throughout, which was caused by SHC's aggressiveness and defense around the soph star. The Irish also contained Miles Amos for most of the game forcing the other Hall players to step up. SHC should be competitive in all of their games this season.

I knew this SHC team’s foundation was going to reflect MacKay’s makeup. A bunch of grit and grinders. That was the special sauce of a MacKay team at his last coaching stop.

One thing of note from a follower of SHC teams in the past, teams often take a big leap when their guys become juniors. I don’t think it’s fair to put all the burden on younger guys like they did with Robinson, Monroe, Hollins, etc. You saw big leaps individually with Hollins his junior year, almost unstoppable offensively, and yesterday you saw Clark for Riordan explode for 31. I mean huge things are coming for the purple and gold!

Cheng put together a very good game. It’s a big leap from his games last year but that’s growth for you. If you’re 6’8, strength and experience will make you a more polished basketball player. Let’s hope this is the Cheng we are about to see.

Good luck to all the teams!

I knew this SHC team’s foundation was going to reflect MacKay’s makeup. A bunch of grit and grinders. That was the special sauce of a MacKay team at his last coaching stop.

One thing of note from a follower of SHC teams in the past, teams often take a big leap when their guys become juniors. I don’t think it’s fair to put all the burden on younger guys like they did with Robinson, Monroe, Hollins, etc. You saw big leaps individually with Hollins his junior year, almost unstoppable offensively, and yesterday you saw Clark for Riordan explode for 31. I mean huge things are coming for the purple and gold!

Cheng put together a very good game. It’s a big leap from his games last year but that’s growth for you. If you’re 6’8, strength and experience will make you a more polished basketball player. Let’s hope this is the Cheng we are about to see.

Good luck to all the teams!

Cal High sports write up of yesterday’s games
https://www.calhisports.com/2018/11/24/norcal-tip-off-classic-recap-4/

Reactions: OneDNA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT