ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL is wide open

May 8, 2016
Bells, SI and Mitty are clearly favorites but Serra, St. Francis, SHC and now Valley can all beat the favorites on a given night. Should be fun to watch.

All comes down to coaching and adjustments. Mitty, Serra, Bells coaching then everybody else

coaching agreed
1. Rapp
2. Kennedy
3. Schneider
4-8 everyone else
SI new coach every other year
VC new coach every year

coaching agreed
1. Rapp
2. Kennedy
3. Schneider
4-8 everyone else
SI new coach every other year
VC new coach every year
With DeLuca now at VC you can put him into that equations. Solid Job wherever he has been and Led Berkeley to back to back NorCal showings with winning D1 NorCal Title. Going to be there for along time. So right now he is at 4.

Rapp is good but can't stand his ability to not Get T'd standing 8' onto the court! Seriously 8'
Kennedy is a great. Situational and x & o's
Schneider is good.
Marchaletti is finding his own
I think Buckner is a really good coach. Lack of talent and any size has killed him.
And Deluca is a very good coach. He won't be out coached in league this year.
Don't know enough about SF head coach but his teams the last few years have been really good
No idea about new SHC coach
With DeLuca now at VC you can put him into that equations. Solid Job wherever he has been and Led Berkeley to back to back NorCal showings with winning D1 NorCal Title. Going to be there for along time. So right now he is at 4.

Don't know much about DeLuca but the WCAL isn't like any other league. Ask the current coach at SHC now. They are running circles around him lol. Good coaching is hard to come by

Don't know much about DeLuca but the WCAL isn't like any other league. Ask the current coach at SHC now. They are running circles around him lol. Good coaching is hard to come by

To some extent I agree..but give it a little more time....Marcalleti? at SI had a rough two years too before assembling SI's dream team now. What we don't want is SHC administration acting like Jed York...lol.

Last edited:
To some extent I agree..but give it a little more time....Marcalleti? at SI had a rough two years too before assembling SI's dream team now. What we don't want is SHC administration acting like Jed York...lol.

True but Marcalleti didn't have any talent when he started. SHC is loaded with athletes. One Jr and one sophomore that have the potential to be all league. From the outside looking in you can't walk the ball up the floor and not press the entire game with the most athletes in the WCAL. Not running any plays isn't a matter of assembling a team either. That's all coaching. I hope they figure it out sooner than later otherwise it will be hard to get kids to go there.

True but Marcalleti didn't have any talent when he started. SHC is loaded with athletes. One Jr and one sophomore that have the potential to be all league. From the outside looking in you can't walk the ball up the floor and not press the entire game with the most athletes in the WCAL. Not running any plays isn't a matter of assembling a team either. That's all coaching. I hope they figure it out sooner than later otherwise it will be hard to get kids to go there.

I wouldn't say loaded with athletes...This year like the last couple of years they have no post player or defensive stalwarts like Herman Pratt, a SHC guy that should make Hall of fame or the whole team down the road eventually. Marcalleti had some talent he also was an assistant varsity coach for SI years before taking over, he knew the system inside out, Mackay at SHC is completely new so back to the drawing board with what he has. We will see what he can do after taking his lumps...but fair to say it doesn't look good now, but they have no where but up hill and need to stay hungry to find the identity.

I wouldn't say loaded with athletes...This year like the last couple of years they have no post player or defensive stalwarts like Herman Pratt, a SHC guy that should make Hall of fame or the whole team down the road eventually. Marcalleti had some talent he also was an assistant varsity coach for SI years before taking over, he knew the system inside out, Mackay at SHC is completely new so back to the drawing board with what he has. We will see what he can do after taking his lumps...but fair to say it doesn't look good now, but they have no where but up hill and need to stay hungry to find the identity.
Rob is running a completely different system. I saw them go to the dribble drive action many times last night.
Which allows rob to utilize his strength, his depth of guards. They also are looking to push the ball like no other team at SI has tried to. Why? Because he has a lot of good guards.
Might Take McKay awhile to figure out the WCAL

Compared to the rest of the league they are loaded with athletes. Teaching those athletes how to play is a different story. Name one more team with 4 athletes that can run and jump with Neal, Oglesby, Carter and Robinson? All 4 of them can play above the rim. Idk how much time Mackay will have to learn the ins and outs of the league but he should be able to win more games than he has with the level of talent that he's working with

oh no thats terrible. I hope he recovers and is able to lead the warriors again! Prayers are with him

Compared to the rest of the league they are loaded with athletes. Teaching those athletes how to play is a different story. Name one more team with 4 athletes that can run and jump with Neal, Oglesby, Carter and Robinson? All 4 of them can play above the rim. Idk how much time Mackay will have to learn the ins and outs of the league but he should be able to win more games than he has with the level of talent that he's working with

Al Attles, the grizzled ex-NBA coach and long-time Golden State employee, has been quoted many times as saying today's basketball players are much better from the neck down than their predecessors _ but that's not the case from the neck up. You can be a great athlete and a mediocre basketball player. We see it far too often.

Al Attles, the grizzled ex-NBA coach and long-time Golden State employee, has been quoted many times as saying today's basketball players are much better from the neck down than their predecessors _ but that's not the case from the neck up. You can be a great athlete and a mediocre basketball player. We see it far too often.

That's why I said "Teaching those athletes is a different story".

Reactions: 5MatchUp
oh no thats terrible. I hope he recovers and is able to lead the warriors again! Prayers are with him

There's another thread on the site with an update on / from Coach DeLuca - good read that puts thing in their proper perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT