ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be top 5 in the north

It's been going on forever. CIF just opened their eyes when giving the BJ instead of the selective eyes closed enforcement they've chosen for so long. A very good and long overdue move.

I would say it has been going on for a few schools for a long time. Many coaches have an gentlmens agreement to not "openly recruit" other programs kids (Feeder programs and current kids). There are also a couple schools that go behind the other schools backs and try to get your kids and hide behind others to do so.I can tell you first hand that when we get a kid that shows up at our school the first thing we do is contact the previous school HC. I can say Sac, Grant and Rio lInda have all done the same for us in the recent year.

There are more coaches that refuse to recruit but the wolves will always be out there.

In my perfect world there is one set of rules that apply to the entire state and what we have now ain't even close to that
There is one set rule that applies statewide for all CIF regulated sports, the kid sits out 30 days. I don't think big money has anything to do with recruiting at all, however. The overall success of many public schools in the SJS, (Folsom, Del Oro, Sac Hi, Inderkum, Oakdale, E.G., etc.), appeals to most players, as well as no tuition, is a deciding factor for parents. Anybody that thinks that private schools hand out money is ludicrous, since the CIF watch dogs constantly have their eyes on those programs. Usually private programs are the most compliant bc: 1. These programs are constantly audited and 2. Their programs are well staffed and properly trained.

Reactions: Ca. Football rules
There is one set rule that applies statewide for all CIF regulated sports, the kid sits out 30 days. I don't think big money has anything to do with recruiting at all, however. The overall success of many public schools in the SJS, (Folsom, Del Oro, Sac Hi, Inderkum, Oakdale, E.G., etc.), appeals to most players, as well as no tuition, is a deciding factor for parents. Anybody that thinks that private schools hand out money is ludicrous, since the CIF watch dogs constantly have their eyes on those programs. Usually private programs are the most compliant bc: 1. These programs are constantly audited and 2. Their programs are well staffed and properly trained.
Don't think money helps recruiting then ya'll strange, its in equipment, uniforms, facilities, travel, schedule, etc., not the "money" but the "honey" that attracts the bees, be real.

Mistark- I'm glad that some of you have that type of integrity at your program, but not all your coaches on staff follow suit. Their is a certain JV coach, who claims to run the 7 on 7 circuit in Nor Cal, that tends to throw his line in the water when it come to recruiting kids. I think that's the root of all this recruiting and transferring stuff. 7 on, is becoming the AAU circuit.

7 on, is becoming the AAU circuit.

It has become a show boat circus which, in my opinion, has undermined the athlete's understanding of the game in most circumstances. Instead of perfecting their route running, many of these guys are real busy arranging their next opportunity (and getting to it) to show off to gain exposure. I think the scouts see through it and much of it is simply a money making machine for the coaches.

Reactions: Bubba3000
The 7on7 is not affiliated with us. I am not a pro 7on7 guy at all nor is our program but we will never stop a kid from playing. That is his business, he is a good guy but I can't speak about what happens with that stuff, I wish it all went away but it won't happen.

Standing on the field, you can see the heat rising off it...only to have the Grand Buffet Restaurant appear out of nowhere....

Fabulous. Beautiful downtown Stockton is indeed a delightful smorgasbord of culinary and cultural diversions. Serra's August charter buses may well linger there for a late-night snack or two.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Recommend staying away from downtown Stockton, seriously. Like "any" town, there good parts and there are bad parts. Stockton just has a "tad bit" more bad parts. LOL. Downtown is not a good part.

Lots of good restaurants in Stockton within Lincoln Center, such as, Prime Table, Midgely's, Domo's (if you like Benihana), Bud's Seafood Grille, Papapavlo's, and Market Tavern. Lincoln Center can be found between St. Mary's and Lincoln High School at the corner of Benjamin Holt and Pacific. But, if you are looking for something more affordable and prefer the all-you-can-eat Asian meal, sure, Grand Buffet @ Weberstown Mall is right up your alley. They may even offer a group discount? Enjoy!

Recommend staying away from downtown Stockton, seriously. Like "any" town, there good parts and there are bad parts. Stockton just has a "tad bit" more bad parts. LOL. Downtown is not a good part.

Lots of good restaurants in Stockton within Lincoln Center, such as, Prime Table, Midgely's, Domo's (if you like Benihana), Bud's Seafood Grille, Papapavlo's, and Market Tavern. Lincoln Center can be found between St. Mary's and Lincoln High School at the corner of Benjamin Holt and Pacific. But, if you are looking for something more affordable and prefer the all-you-can-eat Asian meal, sure, Grand Buffet @ Weberstown Mall is right up your alley. They may even offer a group discount? Enjoy!

The Serra player per diem is not on a par with the overwhelming prep powerhouses in the Sac-San Joaquin region which are touted so heavily and consistently on this particular site. The Padres, ever mindful of their budgetary restrictions, may seek out a modest Burger King for a gross of Whoppers and fries, heartburn be damned. A win in Stockton, of course, would be helpful for digestion. But, as others have emphasized, that possibility seems rather slim at this point. We'll have to let all of this play out on the field next month.

They added a rule for you guys because you complained of getting destroyed year in and out by us..... That's the lowest you can get.
That's cute.

If your goal is only wins in high school football, I feel for you. Our goal is much higher, as demonstrated during the College Football Playoff this year. Our players litter major college programs. We have a Heisman candidate and a bonafide all-american. Both will play on Sundays.

At the end of the day, trash talk aside- How many programs can say that? Not many.

During last year's College Football Playoff: "But daddddddddddddddddddddd! When I was 17, we beat that Folsom team!"

Go Folsom!

DLS
St Mary's
Pitt
Clayton Valley
Somebody from the WCAL. You can never rule out that league. Valley Christian last year was pretty damn good and they have a lot returning.
Also SJS up in Sac area with Folsom & Oak Ridge looking strong. Not sure how DO does loosing Taylor and Smartt.

But DLS is going to be be a legit contender this year. They were young last year against Bosco. I give them a real chance to be National Top 5-10.
Folsom looking really stron this year.

That's cute.

If your goal is only wins in high school football, I feel for you. Our goal is much higher, as demonstrated during the College Football Playoff this year. Our players litter major college programs. We have a Heisman candidate and a bonafide all-american. Both will play on Sundays.

At the end of the day, trash talk aside- How many programs can say that? Not many.

During last year's College Football Playoff: "But daddddddddddddddddddddd! When I was 17, we beat that Folsom team!"

Go Folsom!
MJD, Amari Toomer, Austin Hooper, Terron Ward. Congrats on your two players participating in college Football.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
MJD, Amari Toomer, Austin Hooper, Terron Ward. Congrats on your two players participating in college Football.
Sounds like a short list.

We had more D1 players on the 2014 team alone that doubled your list. 11 alone from that team. 2 will play in the pros. Jordan Richards is already there.

HS means nothing except for being a ladder to D1 colleges. And right now we got you.

During the 2017 CFP: "But daddddddd! We beat that Folsom team!"

Congrats on your participation in HS football.

High school football means nothing except a ladder to college? I beg to differ since 98% of high school players don't play in college.

Reactions: DLSPop1314
High school football means nothing except a ladder to college? I beg to differ since 98% of high school players don't play in college.
I should have clarified. It is the ultimate goal and what everyone strives for. It is the measuring stick for what matters. Of course, this is my opinion but I believe most would agree.

During the 2017 CFP: "But daddddddd! We beat that Folsom team!"

I don't think there's a coach in the Folsom program that would not have preferred to win those head to head match-ups - number of college bound kids aside. In fact, if there was a decided advantage in the number of college bound kids in Folsom's favor in the years where they played DLS, then it only makes it sting even worse. You have to win those games.

I don't think there's a coach in the Folsom program that would not have preferred to win those head to head match-ups - number of college bound kids aside. In fact, if there was a decided advantage in the number of college bound kids in Folsom's favor in the years where they played DLS, then it only makes it sting even worse. You have to win those games.
Everyone wants to win. I agree. But losses in high school don't sting as bad when you achieve your ultimate goal of either a D1 scholarship, or playing on Sundays.

I didn't think about stinging junior high losses when I was in high school.

I kinda think you might have left a few guys off your list, right? With DLS being the premier program in NorCal for years (even had a movie made about it), you would think the list would be much deeper.
Indeed ...

DLS High School football players in NFL:
T. J. Carrie, cornerback for the Oakland Raiders
Derek Landri, defensive tackle with Philadelphia Eagles
David Loverne, guard with New York Jets
Kevin Simon, linebacker for Washington Redskins
T. J. Ward, Strong Safety for the Denver Broncos
Terron Ward, Running Back for the Atlanta Falcons
D. J. Williams, middle linebacker for the Chicago Bears
* Doug Brien, former kicker in the National Football League
* Matt Gutierrez, former quarterback in the National Football League
* Maurice Jones-Drew, former running back for the Jacksonville Jaguars
* Aaron Taylor, former offensive lineman for the Green Bay Packers
* Amani Toomer, former wide receiver for the New York Giants

Folsom High School football players in NFL:
Ryan Rau - Linebacker for the Miami Dolphins
Jordan Richards - Safety for the New England Patriots
* Virgil Carter - Former professional Football Quarterback (Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals)

* denotes former NFL player

Indeed ...

DLS High School football players in NFL:
T. J. Carrie, cornerback for the Oakland Raiders
Derek Landri, defensive tackle with Philadelphia Eagles
David Loverne, guard with New York Jets
Kevin Simon, linebacker for Washington Redskins
T. J. Ward, Strong Safety for the Denver Broncos
Terron Ward, Running Back for the Atlanta Falcons
D. J. Williams, middle linebacker for the Chicago Bears
* Doug Brien, former kicker in the National Football League
* Matt Gutierrez, former quarterback in the National Football League
* Maurice Jones-Drew, former running back for the Jacksonville Jaguars
* Aaron Taylor, former offensive lineman for the Green Bay Packers
* Amani Toomer, former wide receiver for the New York Giants

Folsom High School football players in NFL:
Ryan Rau - Linebacker for the Miami Dolphins
Jordan Richards - Safety for the New England Patriots
* Virgil Carter - Former professional Football Quarterback (Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals)

* denotes former NFL player
I think we should do a current D1 college so we can all get an idea of the recent success of both programs. Either way- impressive on both sides.

Important to keep in mind that DLS has been doing this for 30 years. Folsom only really came on in the last decade. Lots of success in a short period of time.

Everyone wants to win. I agree. But losses in high school don't sting as bad when you achieve your ultimate goal of either a D1 scholarship, or playing on Sundays.

Lots of guys from Folsom's program likely deserved rides and did not get them due to size. But if you think about the complexity of the offense they run and the pressure that puts on the skill players in particular, you would think a college program would be particularly interested in those players regardless of size. There is something to be said for High Football IQ.

Lots of guys from Folsom's program likely deserved rides and did not get them due to size. But if you think about the complexity of the offense they run and the pressure that puts on the skill players in particular, you would think a college program would be particularly interested in those players regardless of size. There is something to be said for High Football IQ.
Not sure what you mean- they are putting anywhere from 7-12 guys in D1 programs the last 5 years or so. And that doesn't count the D2 and below guys. Lots of rides be given out!

Agreed. I am just saying there were others who were pretty damn good who didn't get a ride. All based on size.

That's the nature of recruiting not all good players get scholarships pretty much only the ones with the physical measurables colleges are loooking for

That's the nature of recruiting not all good players get scholarships pretty much only the ones with the physical measurables colleges are loooking for

This is true. In connection with that line of thinking, I am very interested in seeing how Tate Martell will perform at Ohio State. He looks to be between 5'10" and 5'11". And he weighs in at 195 to 205. Only runs a 4.8 40. Kid can lift the gym though. And you really can't argue with his decision making and accuracy. Lets see how he does in Urban's system...maybe compare to a giant like Tebow in the same system.

This is true. In connection with that line of thinking, I am very interested in seeing how Tate Martell will perform at Ohio State. He looks to be between 5'10" and 5'11". And he weighs in at 195 to 205. Only runs a 4.8 40. Kid can lift the gym though. And you really can't argue with his decision making and accuracy. Lets see how he does in Urban's system...maybe compare to a giant like Tebow in the same system.

Have serious doubts Martel will ever take a snap for the Buckeyes.

What causes these doubts?

Just my opinion watching him over the years. Outstanding high school QB surrounded by absolutely elite talent. But his size and and overall athletic ability won't translate to the collegiate level.

I'm sure he'll redshirt this year. But I don't see him beating out Haskins down the road (kid is a freak). I see him moving positions like Sills or transferring out.

Just my opinion watching him over the years. Outstanding high school QB surrounded by absolutely elite talent. But his size and and overall athletic ability won't translate to the collegiate level.

I'm sure he'll redshirt this year. But I don't see him beating out Haskins down the road (kid is a freak). I see him moving positions like Sills or transferring out.

The good news is at Ohio State he will be surrounded by elite talent there, as well

The good news is at Ohio State he will be surrounded by elite talent there, as well

Yes he will but he will also be going against D-1 talent. He did win some big games in high school against elite teams. But his numbers also got exaggerated against a lot of horrible competition (Nevada football is pure garbage sans the Bishop) as well so it's hard to get an true read. Just my opinion on where I see his future.

Reactions: Bubba3000

Well, respected QB guru Todd Dodge certainly disagrees with you. He compares him to Russell Wilson. Says the ball jumps out of his hand and that he has no doubt he'll be successful at the next level.

I think we should do a current D1 college so we can all get an idea of the recent success of both programs. Either way- impressive on both sides.

Important to keep in mind that DLS has been doing this for 30 years. Folsom only really came on in the last decade. Lots of success in a short period of time.
Yeah? But was there ever a movie made because of Folsom's football program? lol

Last edited:
Yes he will but he will also be going against D-1 talent. He did win some big games in high school against elite teams. But his numbers also got exaggerated against a lot of horrible competition (Nevada football is pure garbage sans the Bishop) as well so it's hard to get an true read. Just my opinion on where I see his future.

True that on the overall caliber of Nevada high school football

True that on the overall caliber of Nevada high school football

But his numbers also got exaggerated against a lot of horrible competition (Nevada football is pure garbage sans the Bishop)

And yet one NorCal team continues to pick on these schools and somehow it's viewed as challenging themselves. It also somehow adds to their strength of schedule when it probably should hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT