ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

How about the Crusaders impose their strengths and tempo on their opponents? Force the other team to adjust. Play the entire 90 feet of court, don't shrink it down to half court and slow it down. It doesn't mean to jack up shots in 5 seconds, but you can have fast ball movement, screens and dribble penetration at a faster pace rather than walking up the ball. Look at Salesian, Dublin, heck - even Mitty and Serra!
Riordan's roster is deep and can do this. Someone used John Wooden's "Be quick, but don't hurry", quote. Makes sense.

If anything SH should do the D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less offense. Every shot should be a 3 or a layup. Every game they pretty much start 5 guards since they dont have the height to matchup on defense. The pace of this type of game would be fun to watch. It may not win games but who doesnt like to see alot of points?

Reactions: Jaw Knee
There is one thing that should never change, no matter what the personnel might be: Defensive intensity. The shots may not fall; the height may be lacking; the roster may be thin. But defensive fire and brimstone can make up for a lot of deficits. Just take a long gander at Serra.

There is one thing that should never change, no matter what the personnel might be: Defensive intensity. The shots may not fall; the height may be lacking; the roster may be thin. But defensive fire and brimstone can make up for a lot of deficits. Just take a long gander at Serra.
Absolutely. Why Rapp has been so successful with less talent. His kids play hard and absolutely buy into his philosophy. Utmost respect for how he gets more out of less.

Tuesday Night's Feb 11th Matchups (Tipoff 7:30pm)
  • Mitty @ Riordan
    • 1st place implications at stake in this huge rematch at the Crusader Forum. Riordan's combination of length and excellent scoring by Monroe and Clark proved decisive in the first game. Mitty comes off the upset of the year losing to SI. Riordan comes off an upset loss against a Bells team that was firing on all cylinders and a Crusader team that struggled on both ends of the floor. Defense, free throw shooting, offensive/defensive rebounding and winning the 50/50 battle for loose balls wins the game. Open seating for all Friends and Family! Enjoy the game! ;)
  • St. Ignatius @ Bellarmine
    • SI feeling great after its win in the Sunset district against Mitty. Can they repeat that feat against the mighty Bells in San Jose? Bellarmine gaining back its confidence with its recent wins against Mitty and Riordan and will have a say on who is the WCAL title holder when all is said and done.
  • St. Francis @ Serra
    • St. Francis still smarting from the OT loss on Ellis St. against SHC. Serra looks to cement itself in 4th place in the standings. 2 evenly matched teams poised to have a great game.
  • SHC @ Valley Christian
    • Can the luck of the Irish carryover in finishing the WCAL season strong? It starts tonight on the hilltop at Valley Christian. The Warriors are seeking its first league win of the season and will be primed to upset the Irish.
WCAL Standings as of Feb 7th - League Wins; Overall Record
  1. Archbishop Riordan 9-2; 18-3
  2. Archbishop Mitty 8-3; 17-4
  3. Bellarmine 8-3; 18-3
  4. Junipero Serra 7-4; 15-6
  5. Saint Francis 6-5; 14-7
  6. Sacred Heart Cathedral 3-8; 8-13
  7. Saint Ignatius 3-8; 8-13
  8. Valley Christian 0-11; 8-13
Friday's Feb 14th Games (Tip-off 7:30pm)
  • Junipero Serra @ Archbishop Mitty 7:30
  • Archbishop Riordan @ Saint Francis 7:30
  • Bellarmine @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 7:30
  • Valley Christian @ Saint Ignatius 7:30

Last edited:
Although it looks as if Serra will lose their 'extra defender' as Carson is not nearly as demonstrative on the floor as Rapp on Defense. Then again, who is LOL
Still don't like the fact the games are officiated the way it is at Serra for opposing teams. Also Serra is allowed to slide up under players. Grab players on rebounds with no calls. Sending. Every. Ridiculous. Referee. Around....SERRA...LOL

Still don't like the fact the games are officiated the way it is at Serra for opposing teams. Also Serra is allowed to slide up under players. Grab players on rebounds with no calls. Sending. Every. Ridiculous. Referee. Around....SERRA...LOL

You know there might be a day when there will be no referees. My friend who coaches CYO noticed alot of games that only had 1 ref due to shortage (refs per game amount hasnt really increased with inflation so its not worth the time of the ones that have ref'd for years). Then you have the verbal abuse from all angles because they are human and make errors like everyone else but thats not acceptable to the player, coach, parents, fans, etc.

Soon, we'll just be able to call our own fouls. :D

You know there might be a day when there will be no referees. My friend who coaches CYO noticed alot of games that only had 1 ref due to shortage (refs per game amount hasnt really increased with inflation so its not worth the time of the ones that have ref'd for years). Then you have the verbal abuse from all angles because they are human and make errors like everyone else but thats not acceptable to the player, coach, parents, fans, etc.

Soon, we'll just be able to call our own fouls. :D
Your statement is true about official abuse. Some of its self inflicted but nobody should be disrespected. It's really not a referee shortage. These leagues sign contracts with certain associations and the referees leave that association.
There are going to be missed calls. It is what it is at the "Jungle" . I have attended games at Serra when my nephew was at Serra, I have attended games with my oldest son when he ATTENDED SERRA for 4 years, attended games when my youngest son has competed there for the past 4 seasons. There is a difference in my opinion. You can disagree and i have no problem with that.

Naw I am sorry. Would welcome you to sit down and watch film together. Inconsistency. Not conspiracy.

OK, so not conspiracy. What specifically makes officials @Serra more inconsistent against visiting teams than at other venues? Can you name a game, play, or official(s) to support the claim?

Serra is 4-3 at home. 3 wins against teams below in standings (+1 non-conf), 3 losses to those above. Where's the home court edge Serra enjoys that others don't?

And thanks for the invitation to watch film together. I'd seriously take you up on the offer if you're sincerely looking for understanding officials perspective.

OK, so not conspiracy. What specifically makes officials @Serra more inconsistent against visiting teams than at other venues? Can you name a game, play, or official(s) to support the claim?

Serra is 4-3 at home. 3 wins against teams below in standings (+1 non-conf), 3 losses to those above. Where's the home court edge Serra enjoys that others don't?

And thanks for the invitation to watch film together. I'd seriously take you up on the offer if you're sincerely looking for understanding officials perspective.
I can give you many but here is a couple from the last game vs. Riordan.
( wont use names) Serra player is dribbling down the court( ref has the angle) , the player clearly picks up his dribble to pass and his team mate wasn't ready and he began dribbling again. Whole gym gasp because they saw it. ILLEGAL DRIBBLE

4th quarter Serra player goes to the basket clearly travels with the ball, referee 1 calls the travel before any other ref blew their whistle, referee 2 calls over referee 1 and says he had a foul call first. Overrides the original call.

Bhandal and Burris off the bench and leading the way early for Mitty.

Mitty 35 Riordan 30 at half.....Monroe having another nice game for the Crusaders!

Riordan bounces back in the 3rd...47-44 Riordan...Monroe with a 3 before the shot clock expired!

Should be a great 4th quarter

Bhandal can’t be stopped! Back to back 3 pointers to tie the game. Bad shot by Riordan, all the way back puts it back and 1 Mitty up 54-52 with 2:47 left!

Man can this kid play!

Mitchell basket Mitty goes up 4....but not for long! Swish! Big 3 by Jelani Clark and the score is now Mitty 57 Riordan 56....1:44 left

This is a darn good one. Mitty fouled up 1 accidentally. Riordan kid hits first, missed second...Mitty ball and they’ll probably get last shot before a potential OT. 59-59 at the Forum!

Kudos to Tim Kennedy. Absolutely great play call out of the time-out. Watched the whole second half. He couldn’t draw it up any better.

Reactions: OneDNA
I think both teams played really well....one hit their shots at the end, the other did not. That's how the game works. Refs were very good tonight....even reversing two calls in Riordan's favor, after making an initial Mitty Ball call. I honestly think this game was just a case of two great teams playing and one eventually had to win and one had to lose.

One thing I'll say for Mitty is I have no idea why Arrish and Burris don't start. There's probably a method behind it, but those are two of Mitty's best three players. Arrish really impressed me tonight.

First time watching Riordan live tonight. Where are the offensive sets and ball movement? Mitty got open shots and Riordan took contested shots. Also didn't get the ball into the middle against the 2-3 zone. And where was the initial help on D...mitchell was consistently getting into the 2nd line of defense which led to all those offensive rebounds and easy dump offs.

Classy move by Coach Kennedy noticing his player dancing on Riordan logo after the win and going over to stop him! Good Win Mitty...two games remaining in league. Riordan back to back losses.

He was really pissed about that. Someone will be running suicides tomorrow!

Riordan lost. That's it. Arrish had the game of his life. 31 POINTS on 13-15 shooting. He went to work. HE was the difference. MITTY bench had 45 points of the 61. That also helped. There are no excuses. RIORDAN lost a 2 point game at the buzzer.

Reactions: ayalar09
Riordan lost. That's it. Arrish had the game of his life. 31 POINTS on 13-15 shooting. He went to work. HE was the difference. MITTY bench had 45 points of the 61. That also helped. There are no excuses. RIORDAN lost a 2 point game at the buzzer.

First time watching Riordan live tonight. Where are the offensive sets and ball movement? Mitty got open shots and Riordan took contested shots. Also didn't get the ball into the middle against the 2-3 zone. And where was the initial help on D...mitchell was consistently getting into the 2nd line of defense which led to all those offensive rebounds and easy dump offs.

agree Mitchell getting to the paint at will, dropping dimes. Heck he didn’t need to score the way he was setting the table. Jelani would have slowed him down but coach never made the defensive adjustment.

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Past my bedtime but I will state my two cents. If you know the game you can see what teams do and what coaches believe in. Jaw knee you brought up some points that have been voiced before about watching Riordan. Valid points but as a fan of the game and Riordan when you voice your opinion your hating, you think you know everything, etc. Every coach can bring a new wrinkle, play etc but your not inventing the wheel again. Meaning some things obviously work so why not use those things , like movement , etc...this loss stings because every thing was in front of them. We didn't make the plays we needed down the stretch, yes there was missed calls, blown calls, no calls, it's part of the game . Mitty earned that win with coaching and being grittier at the right times.
Example of good coaching: The big kid hit a 3 pointer for Mitty, next play down Coach Kennedy calls a play to involve him in a pick and roll. The guard penetrates to suck in our big to get him another wide open look for 3. That's good basketball.
Mitty comes out of a time out , dribble motion offense and cleared a side, hit us with a back door play for layup although missed but it was created by the coach to get a open look.
Riordan has to regroup, refocus and get back in the win column on Friday night. #handsdown

Reactions: cherylbaustin
The “elephant in the room” was evident in those final minutes.. Great calls by coach Kennedy and the play of Mitty’s steely players in crunch time. Bhandal’s breakout game! The secret is out. Both Bellarmine and Mitty stuck with their bigs and won. Well coached and experienced team players vs talented but raw players. Was hoping to see Riordan’s 31 out there in crunch time. Seeing that replay of the game winning shot and how it was defended says it all. CCS Open looks to be the venue to find out who is to be the WCAL’s best this year.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
There you go. You are funny. KINDA crazy talk. He had 8 points [3-12] and 5 turnovers and 5 assists. Four assists in first have. And I am not knocking him. GREAT player. One of the best guards on west coast. BUT get your facts straight if you are gonna comment. AND BY the way he was uncomfortable the entire game. NOTHING came easy. As a defender only thing one can do is make one uncomfortable. Btw, he got away with a serious push off at the end of game. Which should've gave Riordan the ball. BUT that's how things go.

The Difference in the game was Arish An elephant can see that He had 31. FIRST game at Mitty he had 4 or 6 points. In fact you didnt have to even game plan for him.

You might now. LAST NIGHT...14 in first half, 17 in second including 3 3-point plays. ONE the old fashioned way in paint...Best game he has played since 8th grade aau, when he first came on scene.

AS far as the last play in which Arrish scored. AS it was told tO me. A Crusader defender didn't listen to the coach and rushed over to help on Nigel Burris on the perimeter. Nigel dribbled and
calmly passed the ball to Arrish and the Crusader defender tried to rush back to contest. BUT it was too late. ARRISH scored. Buzzer. Final. Over. Ball game.

You can criticize the coach. Thats Blah blah blah. EASY. BUT if players don't follow direction. Who can you blame?

agree Mitchell getting to the paint at will, dropping dimes. Heck he didn’t need to score the way he was setting the table. Jelani would have slowed him down but coach never made the defensive adjustment.

Last edited:
Allow me to preface. I only watched on TV. Jelani took loss very hard (the kid does play his heart out, no doubt). Initially refused to shake hands. I think it was Tofi who forced him up. Im sure the Mitty players dancing near mid court didn't help. Then he collapsed in anguish on floor near Mittty fan base. I know he has tried (and succeeded) in bringing Riordan basketball back to almost winning its first outright WCAL title in long time. Tough knowing (for any senior) that the window is closing . While trying to pick him up, words going back and forth, and TV cut out with Riordan teammates advancing towards stands. That's what you call a tease when going to a "commercial break". Im sure things worked out.

BTW, I did hear with two more points he surpasses Kately as Riordan all time No. 2 scorer. Knocking my head on who is No. 1.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT