ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

There you go. You are funny. KINDA crazy talk. He had 8 points and 5 turnovers and 5 assists. Four assists in first have. And I am not knocking him. GREAT player. One of the best guards on west coast. BUT get your facts straight if you are gonna comment. AND BY the way he was uncomfortable the entire game. NOTHING came easy. As a defender only thing one can do is make one uncomfortable. Btw, he got away with a serious push off at the end of game. Which should've gave Riordan the ball. BUT that's how things go.

The Difference in the game was Arish An elephant can see that He had 31. FIRST game at Mitty he had 4 or 6 points. In fact you didnt have to even game plan for him.

You might now. LAST NIGHT...14 in first half, 17 in second including 3 3-point plays. ONE the old fashioned way in paint...Best game he has played since 8th grade aau, when he first came on scene.

AS far as the last play in which Arrish scored. AS it was told tO me. A Crusader defender didn't listen to the coach and rushed over to help on Nigel Burris on the perimeter. Nigel dribbled and
calmly passed the ball to Arrish and the Crusader defender tried to rush back to contest. BUT it was too late. ARRISH scored. Buzzer. Final. Over. Ball game.

You can criticize the coach. Thats Blah blah blah. EASY. BUT if players don't follow direction. Who can you blame?
Riordan’s defense on Mitty’s guards was not the problem. I thought they were held in check. It was the help D that allowed the drop off passes. Riordan’s bigs just too inexperienced on this stage. Mitty’s big was tremendous last night. But no big played up on him after he made his first 3. Don’t think he can blow by anyone. Why put in a raw player in for defense on the last play? Why not Rob V and Mor? Mor is young, but he’s 7-1.

The lack of perimeter help D was lacking. You can't let the offense continuously get into the second line of defense thus forcing the bigs to help which results in dump offs, kick outs, fouls and offensive rebounds. That's a coaching break down....need to teach how to hedge and contain better against the high pick and roll. Need other guards to be in a position to cut off the driving lanes. Fundamental defensive concepts.

The lack of perimeter help D was lacking. You can't let the offense continuously get into the second line of defense thus forcing the bigs to help which results in dump offs, kick outs, fouls and offensive rebounds. That's a coaching break down....need to teach how to hedge and contain better against the high pick and roll. Need other guards to be in a position to cut off the driving lanes. Fundamental defensive concepts.
Again, the man defense on the Mitty guards was not the problem. Did not know Bryce shut out Greene until Renard posted it. Mitty's guards all pushed off the Riordan defenders. That was the only way they could keep separation. Should have been more calls by the refs on those, but it was execution at the end by Mitty that won the game.

There you go. You are funny. KINDA crazy talk. He had 8 points [3-12] and 5 turnovers and 5 assists. Four assists in first have. And I am not knocking him. GREAT player. One of the best guards on west coast. BUT get your facts straight if you are gonna comment. AND BY the way he was uncomfortable the entire game. NOTHING came easy. As a defender only thing one can do is make one uncomfortable. Btw, he got away with a serious push off at the end of game. Which should've gave Riordan the ball. BUT that's how things go.

The Difference in the game was Arish An elephant can see that He had 31. FIRST game at Mitty he had 4 or 6 points. In fact you didnt have to even game plan for him.

You might now. LAST NIGHT...14 in first half, 17 in second including 3 3-point plays. ONE the old fashioned way in paint...Best game he has played since 8th grade aau, when he first came on scene.

AS far as the last play in which Arrish scored. AS it was told tO me. A Crusader defender didn't listen to the coach and rushed over to help on Nigel Burris on the perimeter. Nigel dribbled and
calmly passed the ball to Arrish and the Crusader defender tried to rush back to contest. BUT it was too late. ARRISH scored. Buzzer. Final. Over. Ball game.

You can criticize the coach. Thats Blah blah blah. EASY. BUT if players don't follow direction. Who can you blame?

if the player doesn’t follow directions why is he in at the end of the game? You can’t tell me said player hasn’t been a defensive liability all season. A game that all but clinches sole WCAL Title. Or how about this novel idea with 12 seconds left and after running the same defense all game everyone in the gym knows Kennedy is drawing up a nice play based off man, maybe show man coming out of TO and drop into a zone. Yes even against an excellent 3 point shooting. Just the Change of defense and lack of time on clock would more than likely throw Mitty off and make them rush a last second.
To your last sentence, if players don’t follow directions they don’t play it’s simple.

I have a question. If Bellarmine, Riordan, Mitty all finish with the same record, are they all considered three-way Champs or is there some sort of tie-breaker.

Tuesday Night's Feb 11th Roundup
  • Mitty 61 @ Riordan 59
    • Mitty wins a thriller at the buzzer. Mitty's C Bhandal had a career-best game leading all scorers with 31 points that included a bunch of 3's and well-positioned put backs in the closing minutes that included the game winner off a pick and roll. Riordan's effort was much better last night and Riordan had the lead going into the 4th quarter, but just could not close it out. The game was chippy with a lot of no calls, as the refs let the teams play. Mitty, Riordan and Bellarmine have split their games with each other this season resulting in 3 way tie for first with 2 games to go. Another great finish to the WCAL season! Classy move by Coach Kennedy on reprimanding the kid who jumped on the Riordan logo. Even classier move by the Riordan trainers in taking care of the Mitty players, too.
  • St. Ignatius 30 @ Bellarmine 63
    • Bells erasing any doubt of an upset on this night as they join Mitty and Riordan atop the WCAL standings.
  • St. Francis 61 @ Serra 67
    • Serra continues to leverage the Jungle as its homecourt advantage and comes back from being down early and wins going away against the Lancers.
  • SHC 71 @ Valley Christian 63
    • Can this be another Irish CCS Open run? SHC denies the Warriors its first league victory this season on the S. San Jose Hilltop.
WCAL Standings as of Feb 11th - League Wins; Overall Record
  1. Archbishop Riordan 9-3; 18-4
  2. Archbishop Mitty 9-3; 18-4
  3. Bellarmine 9-3; 19-3
  4. Junipero Serra 8-4; 16-6
  5. Saint Francis 6-6; 14-8
  6. Sacred Heart Cathedral 4-8; 9-13
  7. Saint Ignatius 3-9; 8-14
  8. Valley Christian 0-12; 8-14
Friday's Feb 14th Games (Tip-off 7:30pm)
  • Junipero Serra @ Archbishop Mitty 7:30
  • Archbishop Riordan @ Saint Francis 7:30
  • Bellarmine @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 7:30
  • Valley Christian @ Saint Ignatius 7:30
Final League Games - Tuesday Feb 18th (Tip-off 7:30p
  • Mitty @ Valley Christian
  • SHC @ Riordan
  • Bellarmine @ St. Francis
  • Serra @ St. Ignatius

Last edited:
Again, the man defense on the Mitty guards was not the problem. Did not know Bryce shut out Greene until Renard posted it. Mitty's guards all pushed off the Riordan defenders. That was the only way they could keep separation. Should have been more calls by the refs on those, but it was execution at the end by Mitty that won the game.

Completely agree the on man D wasn't the issue, if was the poor help D. I don't have game tape so can't be for sure how many times R had an opportunity to cut off the driving lanes but i just thought Mitty got into the middle way too often. But props to Mitty for executing in the 4th quarter and pulling out a tough win on the road.

@Crosswtown - Good point, maybe come out in a 3-2 zone so it sorta looks like a switching man D. Mitty had zero timeouts and probably not enough time to get into a 3-2 zone breaker.

Reactions: Crosstown Rival
We can say with eye-witness assurance that the referees did not cost St. Francis last night's game with Serra in the Padres' well-documented hellhole in San Mateo. Long live the Lancers.

I have a question. If Bellarmine, Riordan, Mitty all finish with the same record, are they all considered three-way Champs or is there some sort of tie-breaker.
Co champs. That’s why a playoff is necessary. Whomever wins last game is champ (IMO). Go back to old format of 70s and 80s: 1 plays 4 2 plays 3, then a final. This year would be the year that any of top 4 could win a title.

Last edited:
If Bellarmine, Mitty and Riordan win out their remaining games, it will be very interesting what the CCS Open seedings would look like. Overall record could put Bellarmine with 3 losses vs Mitty and Riordan's 4 as the #1 seed...

EVERYONE on this board is Pat Riley now. Lol. ONE big got subbed out because he was getting cooked. THEY put in another, who by the way did a good job last time the teams faced. HE didn't fare well.

Things don't always go according to script...Maybe the Mitty big was just better LAST night. AS former Warrior Coach Mark Jackson says Good offense beats good defense. This wasnt good defense. BUT AGAIN A PLAYER that was a non factor the entire season was one last night. NOW if the two teams face off again, maybe the Riordan coaches will be prepared for that option. I am done with this topic. On to the next game.

if the player doesn’t follow directions why is he in at the end of the game? You can’t tell me said player hasn’t been a defensive liability all season. A game that all but clinches sole WCAL Title. Or how about this novel idea with 12 seconds left and after running the same defense all game everyone in the gym knows Kennedy is drawing up a nice play based off man, maybe show man coming out of TO and drop into a zone. Yes even against an excellent 3 point shooting. Just the Change of defense and lack of time on clock would more than likely throw Mitty off and make them rush a last second.
To your last sentence, if players don’t follow directions they don’t play it’s simple.

c cf cf
EVERYONE on this board is Pat Riley now. Lol. ONE big got subbed out because he was getting cooked. THEY put in another, who by the way did a good job last time the teams faced. HE didn't fare well.

Things don't always go according to script...Maybe the Mitty big was just better LAST night. AS former Warrior Coach Mark Jackson says Good offense beats good defense. This wasnt good defense. BUT AGAIN A PLAYER that was a non factor the entire season was one last night. NOW if the two teams face off again, maybe the Riordan coaches will be prepared for that option. I am done with this topic. On to the next game.
* steve kerr.... he is the greatest coach ever to wear an armani suit. 73-9

I know Bryce was 10-25 from the field
22 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds and a steal
Played 32 minutes with no free throw attempts
Held his man to 0 points from the field

Only two players in double figures Jelani and Bryce

Ill probably get cooked for this comment, but so be it. It's kind of hard for anyone else on the team to score in double figures when one guy is shooting the ball 25 times in a game.

I don't care if it's Jordan or Lebron out there...no team is going to go very far with one guy shooting that many shots in a game. People are complaining about the defense, but I thought Riordan actually did a great job against everyone but the center.

They need to figure out a way to divide the shots up more.....like I said NO ONE should be shooting 25 shots in a single game!

Directions? If you ask a coach face to face they will tell you they know their personel. People who follow said teams also know the personel. The player responsible for guarding the big for Mitty down the stretch is one of Riordan's best rebounders and he is a non stop hustle guy but with that comes being out of position at times and not really understanding the game and timing of things. I said in an earlier post weeks ago. Guys have to listen to those who have been there.
About out defensive strategy, all you have to do is watch the games and it pops off the screen . The opposing coaches know that Riordan is playing straight man with no help from the guards. The only people who are allowed to help is the bigs. That is why certain things have worked against us.
I remember two years ago coaching the Oakland Soldiers a guy that I didn't know after we had just won a game by a couple points come up to me and gave me a compliment sandwich. He said coach I love your team, I love your strategy and the way you coach but you should think about playing both your bigs together in Tejon Sawyer and Tosh Baker. I was hesitant at first because they were both really big and didn't run the floor as well as the athletic bigs on the EYBL circuit. I was adjusting to the other teams instead of making them adjust to us and our strengths. Later on before it was too late I switched up the lineup and implemented some new sets for the team. We ended up winning the prestigious Las Vegas Classis making people adjust to us. You can't have an ego that is detrimental to the team and its growth. Je'lani displayed a lot of emotion last night some good and some bad but the reality of it is. At the end of the season 6 seniors have to move on with life. The coaches already had their high school career and will be back next season. I always told my teams, it's not about me, it's about you! Pull together as one and let's figure this thing out together. I will give it my best not to be outcoached and you give me your best not to be outplayed. I hope Riordan for the next two games and in the post season figure it out and put their best foot forward when it counts.

Mitty's guards all pushed off the Riordan defenders. That was the only way they could keep separation. Should have been more calls by the refs on those, but it was execution at the end by Mitty that won the game.

If you mean plays like this (1:28:13 on youtube link), push off is a reaction to the defender having hands on dribbler. Refs let them play for the most part, which is what you want when you have two skilled teams.

While there were debatable calls on both sides, team execution was the difference. Give Mitty's guards credit. They hit big shots and played disciplined defense (Bryce no FTs). Great game to watch. Both teams should be proud. Hope they meet up again in CCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renard Monroe
Co champs. That’s why a playoff is necessary. Whomever wins last game is champ (IMO). Go back to old format of 70s and 80s: 1 plays 4 2 plays 3, then a final.

Not really necessary since CCS Open is the de facto WCAL playoffs. Everyone still has two games left so this 3-way tie may not be for long as we all know anything can happen.

This micro-analyzing sounds an awful lot like the SH micro-analyzing when Barbour was there and I DO NOT MISS IT!!!! Look the game was tied with 12 seconds left. It could have gone EITHER way. But Im guessing even if Riordan won, everyone will pick at little s*** to complain about. Everyone was in the right spot. That play wasn't designed Bhandal. Burris had the open look, Chan left Bhandal to contest and Burris just shoveled it to Bhandal and he just laid it in.

Fact: Riordan, Bellarmine and Mitty have split with each other. This will be decided on who makes it to the CCS Open Title game and wins it. Bellarmine and Mitty have served notice that it will be attacking Riordan's bigs with their own. So far, it has worked. All teams should be healthy the next time they should meet.

Ill probably get cooked for this comment, but so be it. It's kind of hard for anyone else on the team to score in double figures when one guy is shooting the ball 25 times in a game.

I don't care if it's Jordan or Lebron out there...no team is going to go very far with one guy shooting that many shots in a game. People are complaining about the defense, but I thought Riordan actually did a great job against everyone but the center.

They need to figure out a way to divide the shots up more.....like I said NO ONE should be shooting 25 shots in a single game!
Bryce shoots too much Ayalar, plain and simple. Give Bryce the ball with 4 seconds on the clock and say make it happen. You wont get cooked for saying that. I wish he didn't shoot so much. I wish he didn't shoot 25 times vs Campolindo and go for 44 points, I wish he didnt shoot 21 times vs Jserra and post 31 points, I wish he didn't shoot 20 times vs Weston Ranch and score 34 points, I wish he didnt shoot that many times vs Modesto Christian and score 27 points, or shoot that many times vs San Ramon and score 30 points. All those shoot too many shots lead to Wins. But I agree he shoots too much and no way they can win with him shooting 25 times. No way

This is absolutely dumb. Should Bryce shoot 25 times a game? F*** yeah!!

Would you rather Riiny chuck up 25 3's? Because you know thats what he wants to do.

Not really necessary since CCS Open is the de facto WCAL playoffs. Everyone still has two games left so this 3-way tie may not be for long as we all know anything can happen.

This micro-analyzing sounds an awful lot like the SH micro-analyzing when Barbour was there and I DO NOT MISS IT!!!! Look the game was tied with 12 seconds left. It could have gone EITHER way. But Im guessing even if Riordan won, everyone will pick at little s*** to complain about. Everyone was in the right spot. That play wasn't designed Bhandal. Burris had the open look, Chan left Bhandal to contest and Burris just shoveled it to Bhandal and he just laid it in.
The question was who is awarded the WCAL title. As there is no co-title in CCS, there should be none in WCAL. Everything is blurred now.

Reactions: Scott2138
In HS basketball your lucky if you have 2 guys that can be consistently good scorers. Riordan has that. Put the ball and scoring responsibility in those best players hands every night and live with the results, period.

Reactions: Scott2138 and WM483
Is their record for responses for a thread on here? Lol. Too many shots for Bryce though...almost at 1800 points for his high school career. Just saying. But as a coach I am honestly saying games dictate how many times you shoot but on Riordan if things were perfect as nothing is in life. I would love to see Bryce getting the opportunity to score 4 times a quarter. Which would be 16 attempts. If you come to the games you will hear me yelling at him 3 to 1. I try and get him in the mindset of getting to the paint 3 times to one 3 point shot without forcing. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it don't. Someone already clearly notices how hard we have to work for buckets against the top tier teams. Riordan has enough skill and time to get the ship back going the other way but will the proper adjustments by the coaches and players be made? Looking forward to watching.

Last edited:
I’d love to know how many times Riordan shot the ball. My guess it’s in the 60-70 range. If one player has almost 40% of the teams shots, it’s pretty easy for a defense to clamp down, which is exactly what Mitty did last night. They knew exactly who was taking that shot in the 4th quarter, while Mitty was passing, sharing the ball.

Perfect example. Last play of the game last night, Nigel could have easily taken the last shot. He could have tried to play hero, but he saw Bhandal wide open...made the pass and helped his team win the game.

Also on a side note, all Riordan technically needed to do was hit free throws and they probably would have won this game. They left some points at the line last night. Championship teams don’t do that.

came out
I’d love to know how many times Riordan shot the ball. My guess it’s in the 60-70 range. If one player has almost 40% of the teams shots, it’s pretty easy for a defense to clamp down, which is exactly what Mitty did last night. They knew exactly who was taking that shot in the 4th quarter, while Mitty was passing, sharing the ball.

Perfect example. Last play of the game last night, Nigel could have easily taken the last shot. He could have tried to play hero, but he saw Bhandal wide open...made the pass and helped his team win the game.

Also on a side note, all Riordan technically needed to do was hit free throws and they probably would have won this game. They left some points at the line last night. Championship teams don’t do that.
25 shots is no so much the problem when it is the 15 misses. The shots had to be taken.

Reactions: damim
Is their record for responses for a thread on here? Lol. Too many shots for Bryce though...almost at 1800 points for his high school career. Just saying. But as a coach I am honestly saying games dictate how many times you shoot but on Riordan if things were perfect as nothing is in life. I would love to see Bryce getting the opportunity to score 4 times a quarter. Which would be 16 attempts. If you come to the games you will hear me yelling at him 3 to 1. I try and get him in the mindset of getting to the paint 3 times to one 3 point shot without forcing. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it don't. Someone already clearly notices how hard we have to work for buckets against the top tier teams. Riordan has enough skill and time to get the ship back going the other way but will the proper adjustments by the coaches and players be made? Looking forward to watching.

10-25 ok may be alarming in volume however its not terrible. It just wasnt efficient. Look, when we get to this part of the season your games are won by having the ball in the hands of your best player(s). Ive witness two SH State title losses where the other team ran no virtually no offense and just said hey D1 guy, just go and do your thing because no high school kid is going to stop you (Trey Kell, Santa Margarita and Marqueze Coleman, Bishop Alemany).

At the end of the day, if Riordan loses, it shouldnt be because Bryce or Jelani have bullets left in the chamber (apologies for gun references, but thats the phrase we all used).

Mark Jackson? Didn’t the Warriors Dynasty begin once he was fired and run out of town? Probably should have quoted a coach with some rings, perhaps Pat Riley would have been appropriate?
In HS basketball your lucky if you have 2 guys that can be consistently good scorers. Riordan has that. Put the ball and scoring responsibility in those best players hands every night and live with the results, period.

Stop making sense Pat Riley. Best lineup

1. Monroe
2. Jelani
3. Wilson
4. Rob
5. Sec

10-25 ok may be alarming in volume however its not terrible. It just wasnt efficient. Look, when we get to this part of the season your games are won by having the ball in the hands of your best player(s). Ive witness two SH State title losses where the other team ran no virtually no offense and just said hey D1 guy, just go and do your thing because no high school kid is going to stop you (Trey Kell, Santa Margarita and Marqueze Coleman, Bishop Alemany).

At the end of the day, if Riordan loses, it shouldnt be because Bryce or Jelani have bullets left in the chamber (apologies for gun references, but thats the phrase we all used).
I have no problem with anything. Bryce is commented on because he is D1 and good. The Ayalar dude is Cowardly and is the same dude saying Seck should shoot 3's this season. He has had a crush on Bryce since he left SHC.
Please do not reference Bryce to any other player as you see I don't name other players and I don't have to step on another to make mine look good. But Bryce has been all league on two different teams in HS , please dont compare. Bryce didn't take the last shot for Riordan last night. We didn't even have the ball on the last possession. We split free throws on the last possessions we had . Other Guys are on the court 20 and 30 minutes game. Bryce isn't running point right now. If they could score at a consistent rate I am sure they would right? They are out there. Mitty implemented a zone, Riordan had a lot of slow possessions with the ball in others hands, do something.
Fact: Bryce leads Riordan in points and ASSISTS...all the while holding his man without a field goal. And when he leaves Riordan will have the opportunity to play at the next level. Name all your team players who have accomplished what he has.

Bryce isn't a team player and it's all about him?Bryce wants to Win...Period . He isn't perfect but he leaves it out there.
25 attempts going to the rim on most of them with no free throw attempts. Unheard of and anyone watching the game saw him get fouled on about 5 shots. We just going to keep it moving. Come at me Ayalar all you want. Since I warned you before about keeping my son name out your mouth...I will have my 25 attempts at you as well. Is that too many shots?

I have no problem with anything. Bryce is commented on because he is D1 and good. The Ayalar dude is Cowardly and is the same dude saying Seck should shoot 3's this season. He has had a crush on Bryce since he left SHC.
Please do not reference Bryce to any other player as you see I don't name other players and I don't have to step on another to make mine look good. But Bryce has been all league on two different teams in HS , please dont compare. Bryce didn't take the last shot for Riordan last night. We didn't even have the ball on the last possession. We split free throws on the last possessions we had . Other Guys are on the court 20 and 30 minutes game. Bryce isn't running point right now. If they could score at a consistent rate I am sure they would right? They are out there. Mitty implemented a zone, Riordan had a lot of slow possessions with the ball in others hands, do something.
Fact: Bryce leads Riordan in points and ASSISTS...all the while holding his man without a field goal. And when he leaves Riordan will have the opportunity to play at the next level. Name all your team players who have accomplished what he has.

Bryce isn't a team player and it's all about him?Bryce wants to Win...Period . He isn't perfect but he leaves it out there.
25 attempts going to the rim on most of them with no free throw attempts. Unheard of and anyone watching the game saw him get fouled on about 5 shots. We just going to keep it moving. Come at me Ayalar all you want. Since I warned you before about keeping my son name out your mouth...I will have my 25 attempts at you as well. Is that too many shots?

This was directed at me Renard?

Heck No...sorry...Ayalar!

I thought that was the case :D. As you have alluded, he's around 1,800 career high school points as a varsity player. Im sure he is aware of that too as the kids now are very cognizant of their numbers. 2,000 career points is within reach and a milestone few can ever claim. As superb a career as Bryce has had, the all time CA scoring leader was Demarcus Nelson at 3,462. Thats just insane.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I thought that was the case :D. As you have alluded, he's around 1,800 career high school points as a varsity player. Im sure he is aware of that too as the kids now are very cognizant of their numbers. 2,000 career points is within reach and a milestone few can ever claim. As superb a career as Bryce has had, the all time CA scoring leader was Demarcus Nelson at 3,462. Thats just insane.
He definitely not shooting for 2,000...his words : Dad I want to win the championship. I don't want to be remembered as a just a scorer that didn't win. People already hate on me, hate on me for transferring, I want to win.

Reactions: jordan24 and damim
In baseball, that is the evil pill (looking at your stats). As a coach, never posted them until end of year. Stats is evil.

That being said, he has had a wonderful high school career (hopefully a month longer). And will work towards his college degree, while continuing to play ball. That is the best response.

Please, someone out there in the electronic fog, name one high school in the entire state of California that would not eagerly welcome Monroe onto its hoops roster ASAP?

In baseball, that is the evil pill (looking at your stats). As a coach, never posted them until end of year. Stats is evil.

That being said, he has had a wonderful high school career (hopefully a month longer). And will work towards his college degree, while continuing to play ball. That is the best response.
Good post but I pay for Pat Stat to keep his position at Riordan since they let him go but they still use his services. I know that stats are brought to their attention at half and after games. Only stat that matters is wins and losses. But your correct.

Reactions: CityVibesII
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT