ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

The real elephant in the room is that there is no elephant in the room or anywhere else. It's painfully obvious and right there for all to see: Each possession is precious; the half court at both ends is key; shot selection and limiting turnovers are huge. In other words, it's really the little things, the details, that separate very good teams from the best. But teams play the way they practice. Riordan is wasting a golden opportunity. But it's still not over.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
First of all, I want to say anyone who thinks the Away Game for Riordan didn't make a difference, I completely disagree. It does make a difference sitting in 3PM traffic, while St. Francis is essentially a 10 minute ride down the road. CCS needs to let the higher seeds host, and just play the Championship at a neutral site.

Second, I have to apologize to St. Francis. Didn't think they stood much of a chance, but obviously every team in the WCAL can pull off an upset.

Third and Final. I'm stunned that this happened to Riordan tonight, but I feel the coaches have done a poor job adjusting and with their game prep all season. I am friends with Rob Jones, and he would be a very interesting choice as a replacement, if they so choose. My only thing is Rob is now a paid assistant at St. Mary's....that's a pretty hard gig to give up, since it's a lot easier to transition to college coaching via the assistant ranks, than it is the high school ranks. I think Rob's end goal is he wants to be a college coach one day.

Him and Lippi have a good thing going on up there in Moraga!

Final Scores tonight:

St. Francis 66 Riordan 60
Mitty 69 Menlo 38
Menlo-Atherton 45 Serra 43 in OT
Bellarmine 59 Sacred Heart Prep 43

SEMIS:
Bellarmine vs. St. Francis
Mitty vs. Menlo-Atherton

Looking like were destined for a Bellarmine vs. Mitty Final in Santa Clara!

Good game St. FRANCIS!
Orinda, not Moraga.
Renard, thoughts on the game and outlook moving forward?
Long Ride home! No real time to reflect on what transpired tonight especially seeing your son last high school days quickly coming to an end. Give you some insight from him. " he was hurt and feels defeated" As a father you want to make it better and I know some of you adults on here because I have read your posts for years are enjoying this. Like I told my son , "What doesn't break you will just make you stronger , remember these tears, remember this feeling and will drive you to success!"
So let me start with the obvious. The Ayalar curse...lol...he picked us a couple of weeks ago in his rankings and immediately we lost, he picked us to win going away tonight and we lost. LOL...
Guys publicly saying they wish us well but all the while been waiting for this.
If you have read my posts you understand now what I have publicly and privately been trying to avoid. Understanding of how things go and should go are so important.
You guys going after a guy saying the game time matters, #2 seed shouldn't be playing the early, PERIOD. THEY EARNED THE PRIMETIME GAME. YES IT AFFECTS YOUR ROUTINE, if you go to work at 7am for 3 months straight , then one day you go in at 5am. Don't tell me that doesn't affect you. Is that the reason we lost , NO! But is a factor.
St. FRANCIS earned that victory! Game plan was executed. Guys hit timely shots.
I am not a big fan of going down with the ship if their is a life boat ! Riordan supporters follow these boards, coaches, administrators, etc...keep it real. I support Riordan but I will say until I leave we are better than this. Coaches make mistakes, Players make mistakes, work together to figure it out at practice. St. FRANCIS played an amoeba 2-3 defense in which we could have exploited but we continued, including BRYCE TO settle for 3's. If we would have sealed the free throw line guy with a big we win going away. We didn't do it. I like the Quanico sub because he can stretch the zone but we played man to man again the whole game. We played a press a couple of times and we gave up on it. This is where you have that good ole assistant coach to whisper in the head coach ear, "don't panic, we will wear them down"!
I have already stated what we need to do so at this point we are we are...A consolation team! I warned everyone, we were so happy that are team manager made it to Sportscenter and Lani had his first 30 point game of the season that we forgot we were in the CCS open. It's hard to beat anyone in anything 3 times in a row. Takes total focus. Did we look focused today? Two guys in double figures, offensive execution was bad, defensive rotations and mindset was wrong again. We didn't focus at all on the boards in the first half.
Good fight at the end, Bryce missed a crucial front end of a one and one.
End of night, very disappointing. Bright side they will get one more opportunity at making a run.

Last edited:
It would be a great reality check for team and get back to basics. The real elephant in the room is the loss of focus by the Crusaders. Many of us are excited about two players going to next level, the reality check is they are not there yet and need to play at where they are at. I would hate to see them follow in Dior’s footsteps and be great players and never win a championship.
CORRECT = RIORDAN LOSSES ARE BRYCE AND JE'LANI FAULT. SOMETIMES YOU LOSE BEFORE YOU EVEN STEP ON THE COURT.

Any chance they still get in the open? Or are they now NorCal D1 championship focused?

Im sorry for the curse Renard.......

In all seriousness, this is a learning experience. Sometimes in life you learn more from losing than you do winning. A couple of years back Hall was a 1-seed in NCS and ended up getting upset in NCS. They got a 9 seed in CIF and ended up making it all the way to the State Final Game. My point is that once CIF starts, thats when they will need to turn it on. Some are saying they might get a Sheldon 1st round matchup. I would love that, because that would be a competitive game.

Overall, I don't know what Riordan does next. They should aim at winning the next two games, getting the Consolation Championship and then moving forward with the mindset that whether they are a 1 seed in D1, a 6 seed in the Open, or somewhere in between....that they are prepared and ready to finish their season on the highest of notes.

Good game St. FRANCIS!

Long Ride home! No real time to reflect on what transpired tonight especially seeing your son last high school days quickly coming to an end. Give you some insight from him. " he was hurt and feels defeated" As a father you want to make it better and I know some of you adults on here because I have read your posts for years are enjoying this. Like I told my son , "What doesn't break you will just make you stronger , remember these tears, remember this feeling and will drive you to success!"
So let me start with the obvious. The Ayalar curse...lol...he picked us a couple of weeks ago in his rankings and immediately we lost, he picked us to win going away tonight and we lost. LOL...
If you have read my posts you understand now what I have publicly and privately been trying to avoid. Understanding of how things go and should go are so important.
You guys going after a guy saying the game time matters, #2 seed shouldn't be playing the early, PERIOD. THEY EARNED THE PRIMETIME GAME. YES IT AFFECTS YOUR ROUTINE, if you go to work at 7am for 3 months straight , then one day you go in at 5am. Don't tell me that doesn't affect you. Is that the reason we lost , NO! But is a factor.
I am not a big fan of going down with the ship if their is a life boat ! Riordan supporters follow these boards, coaches, administrators, etc...keep it real. I support Riordan but I will say until I leave we are better than this. Coaches make mistakes, Players make mistakes, work together to figure it out at practice. St. FRANCIS played an amoeba 2-3 defense in which we could have exploited but we continued, including BRYCE TO settle for 3's. If we would have sealed the free throw line guy with a big we win going away. We didn't do it. I like the Quanico sub because he can stretch the zone but we played man to man again the whole game. We played a press a couple of times and we gave up on it. This is where you have that good ole assistant coach to whisper in the head coach ear, "don't panic, we will wear them down"!
I have already stated what we need to do so at this point we are we are...A consolation team! I warned everyone, we were so happy that are team manager made it to Sportscenter and Lani had his first 30 point game of the season that we forgot we were in the CCS open. It's hard to beat anyone in anything 3 times in a row. Takes total focus. Did we look focused today? Two guys in double figures, offensive execution was bad, defensive rotations and mindset was wrong again. We didn't focus at all on the boards in the first half.
End of night, very disappointing. Bright side they will get one more opportunity at making a run.
Question: what value do the Riordan assistant coaches bring to the table? Forslund’s role last season seemed very diminished, that’s too bad. Tofi’s not even at all the games. It would be nice to see the Frosh A coach on the varsity bench instead of in the stands.

Thank you Renard that's all I was saying. If you think those things don't matter to a HS student you are nuts. Talking about "they didn't take a 3hr flight"... lol hilarious. They were the #2 seed. Makes zero sense having to travel the furthest of all 8 teams. It's just common sense.

Question: what value do the Riordan assistant coaches bring to the table? Forslund’s role last season seemed very diminished, that’s too bad. Tofi’s not even at all the games. It would be nice to see the Frosh A coach on the varsity bench instead of in the stands.
Doctor of Hoopolgy is on Norcal preps, I do not want to do a tell all book but this is the truth! I offered to pay Coach Forslund stipend to be on the staff of Riordan as I am paying for Pat the Stat. Everyone is so important to success! Everyone. Stop being threatened by others and work together. I cannot comment on what transpired for him not return. I have said many times Joey is the coach of Riordan and doesn't need to be removed! I support the Riordan staff but everyone needs help! Everyone!

First of all, I want to say anyone who thinks the Away Game for Riordan didn't make a difference, I completely disagree. It does make a difference sitting in 3PM traffic, while St. Francis is essentially a 10 minute ride down the road. CCS needs to let the higher seeds host, and just play the Championship at a neutral site.

Second, I have to apologize to St. Francis. Didn't think they stood much of a chance, but obviously every team in the WCAL can pull off an upset.

Third and Final. I'm stunned that this happened to Riordan tonight, but I feel the coaches have done a poor job adjusting and with their game prep all season. I am friends with Rob Jones, and he would be a very interesting choice as a replacement, if they so choose. My only thing is Rob is now a paid assistant at St. Mary's....that's a pretty hard gig to give up, since it's a lot easier to transition to college coaching via the assistant ranks, than it is the high school ranks. I think Rob's end goal is he wants to be a college coach one day.

Him and Lippi have a good thing going on up there in Moraga!
Thank you for being willing to speak the truth!

Reactions: ayalar09 and ARHS92
Doctor of Hoopolgy is on Norcal preps, I do not want to do a tell all book but this is the truth! I offered to pay Coach Forslund stipend to be on the staff of Riordan as I am paying for Pat the Stat. Everyone is so important to success! Everyone. Stop being threatened by others and work together. I cannot comment on what transpired for him not return. I have said many times Joey is the coach of Riordan and doesn't need to be removed! I support the Riordan staff but everyone needs help! Everyone!
The question from many alumni is how did Curtin get the job in the first place? Buckner was let go because the AD at the time said they were looking for a coach that was also on full-time staff. Of the primary sports at Riordan (football, baseball, Wrestling )he is the only part timer.

Yes, it hurts, but by the sanctity of everyone gets a trophy - Riordan survives to get another chance. Losing and not playing again, would really hurt. Wake up in the morning and take advantage of the opportunity to play again. The way the system is set up, Riordan's overall season gave them the right to play on.

man... who saw this coming
Come on you read my posts. Didn't want us to lose but I warned repeatedly we were playing with fire. Consistency is key. Through the good and the bad , be consistent. We choked , is the theme. I here all this crap...shot selection, etc...everything is great when we play Valley, SHC, St. Ignatius etc...we got to stop hitting the panic button. Riordan is ok. We said it after the Serra game. Ok now it's time to really put your best foot forward. Win or go home now. Put in the game plan , prepare properly, put ego aside and get it done! I am done unless someone calls me out. Not going sit here and lie and act like I am not disappointed. We are who we R.

Im sorry for the curse Renard.......

In all seriousness, this is a learning experience. Sometimes in life you learn more from losing than you do winning. A couple of years back Hall was a 1-seed in NCS and ended up getting upset in NCS. They got a 9 seed in CIF and ended up making it all the way to the State Final Game. My point is that once CIF starts, thats when they will need to turn it on. Some are saying they might get a Sheldon 1st round matchup. I would love that, because that would be a competitive game.

Overall, I don't know what Riordan does next. They should aim at winning the next two games, getting the Consolation Championship and then moving forward with the mindset that whether they are a 1 seed in D1, a 6 seed in the Open, or somewhere in between....that they are prepared and ready to finish their season on the highest of notes.

A lot of wisdom from this poster, and a lot of jealousy from SHC & SI posters. For either one of those board cherished programs to get bested x3 by Riordan confirms the fall of their sports program and the RISE in Riordan’s. Talent, facilities and leadership all at the purple & gold is evident and must be acknowledge as Riordan of old.

To be honest for kids 17-18 years old tend to look past games and coaches need to prepare for that in prep. Riordan HC will learn from this and the lose will open ears of players to play as a team and execute defence. This is when the team leaders hold themselves accountable and lead by example.

Remember, offence brings praise from parents, peers and press, but defence wins championships. I remember one of the best coaches at Riordan mantra against the 3P’s and maybe that speech needs to be dusted off for practice on Monday.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARHS92
Is it correct that Riordan struggled against the zone?
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM! Been saying it since the 9 game winning streak of SMOKE AND MIRRORS! All the fools on here went gaga over this team. Someone even had the audacity to label the coach the best in Norcal! GTFOH!!!!!! Im disappointed in this Board in that they never saw the flaw. Just happy going along. A few did. A few agreed. But the majority of you. SHAME ON YOU fo not seeing that. Riordan NEVER adjusted from their Shell game pathetic Zone offense. Short Corner? HAH! Whats that? Someone running baseline? HAH why waste energy. Absolute abomination tonight. I aint here to blame players. Everyone in the world knows the scouting report. Sit in zone and hope Jelani and Bryce are not hot. Not once did we ever adjust. We got a a share of the League title, but man, this season left a lot to be desired. 2 biggest games of the last 2 seasons. CCS Semis last year. CCS First round this year. BIG. FAT. LOSS. Unreal. Go ahead and come at me with all your smoke, cause this is nothing new, Ive been saying this all year!!!

The elephant is back in the room. There’s an assistant HS coach in Orinda that might be available.
With all due respect to Rich and I spoke with him earlier this evening, I dont even think he'd want to be the head guy. He had a GREAT role last year. Joey had a great resource! Unfortunately, he never got the respect nor was listened too. Like I said, you can have great asst coaches, but if you dont listen to them in times of adversity or if they are just yes men, whats the point of having them around. I like to surround myself with guys who wont just agree. Who give a different perspective. Unfortunately, some people are just stubborn thinking they know it all and instead will tell the locker room to 'shut out the outside noise.' Was probably at that point you lost the team. Actually, I was told it was weeks prior, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt. Again, I'm just keeping it real and have been. This is not all new takes, if you've been around me any during games. But hey, were tri-champs! Hail, all hail to you....#WeR

Reactions: SFcityfan
Any updates on which games will be streamed tonight on NFHS?
J thoughts? Surprised, after your last post you said you were ready to throw dogs. What did you see tonite? Your a vet like you said, curious how you saw the game?

CORRECT = RIORDAN LOSSES ARE BRYCE AND JE'LANI FAULT. SOMETIMES YOU LOSE BEFORE YOU EVEN STEP ON THE COURT.

Honestly it is not as if you sweated, practiced or prepared for this game, don’t get so defensive....”Helicopter Parent showing”.

I spoke of the 3P’s and you provided a great illustration for the board...thank you

Honestly it is not as if you sweated, practiced or prepared for this game, don’t get so defensive....”Helicopter Parent showing”.

I spoke of the 3P’s and you provided a great illustration for the board...thank you
Naw I haven't sweated or prepared for the game but best believe, check my credentials, we would have been prepared . Not your every day parent but really wish I was. Be ignorant and just watch the games and not know what should be done. I envy those helicopter parents.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARHS92
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM! Been saying it since the 9 game winning streak of SMOKE AND MIRRORS! All the fools on here went gaga over this team. Someone even had the audacity to label the coach the best in Norcal! GTFOH!!!!!! Im disappointed in this Board in that they never saw the flaw. Just happy going along. A few did. A few agreed. But the majority of you. SHAME ON YOU fo not seeing that. Riordan NEVER adjusted from their Shell game pathetic Zone offense. Short Corner? HAH! Whats that? Someone running baseline? HAH why waste energy. Absolute abomination tonight. I aint here to blame players. Everyone in the world knows the scouting report. Sit in zone and hope Jelani and Bryce are not hot. Not once did we ever adjust. We got a a share of the League title, but man, this season left a lot to be desired. 2 biggest games of the last 2 seasons. CCS Semis last year. CCS First round this year. BIG. FAT. LOSS. Unreal. Go ahead and come at me with all your smoke, cause this is nothing new, Ive been saying this all year!!!
Look DNA, you've been around Riordan basketball for many years. I hear you. A lot of people would like to think (as most Riordan supporters on this forum do most every year) that this years group could be comparable to those "team" of mid 70s and most of the 80's. Someone (like you) with big picture thinking knew better. Being that said, if this team, is "a team" they will find a way to finish strong. People now a days hope for the quick fix. The ship wont be righted in the next week, but maybe their athleticism will give them a chance against non-WCAL opponents. AAU style ball just never has a place in a WCAL format. These young coaches don't see it any other way. I do have to admit, this Riordan team on paper made people think. Where have you gone, Elmer Love.....

NO COMMENT

Look DNA, you've been around Riordan basketball for many years. I hear you. A lot of people would like to think (as most Riordan supporters on this forum do most every year) that this years group could be comparable to those "team" of mid 70s and most of the 80's. Someone (like you) with big picture thinking knew better. Being that said, if this team, is "a team" they will find a way to finish strong. People now a days hope for the quick fix. The ship wont be righted in the next week, but maybe their athleticism will give them a chance against non-WCAL opponents. AAU style ball just never has a place in a WCAL format. These young coaches don't see it any other way. I do have to admit, this Riordan team on paper made people think. Where have you gone, Elmer Love.....
Elmer Love. Holy, thats a name from the past! Little before my time as a matter of fact! hahaha but the lineage and Pops talking about him I know of the player. I grew up with the Runnin Rabbits and Erik Newmans teams was the first Pops took me too. Back when it was the TOC and was played at the Coliseum, thats the Oracle for all the Millennials and Generation Z hahahaha

Naw I haven't sweated or prepared for the game but best believe, check my credentials, we would have been prepared . Not your every day parent but really wish I was. Be ignorant and just watch the games and not know what should be done. I envy those helicopter parents.

That is your articulate response???

You are a Riordan parent who has the great pleasure of watching your son play at a program that carries great a legacy in prep Basketball. I believe you even supported your son’s desire to transfer to be apart of it.

But the Riordan Legacy will carry on, I hope this season.But I guarantee for many season later.

(To think you bring more to the program than a 3 year parent, I suggest you are delusional)

I wish, hope, pray and believe in the success of Riordan. Not for any players individually, but for a program that was recognized on ESPN for supporting a Team Manager and providing the culture of success to young men and soon young women.

A true Riordan parent doesn’t where a players name on their sweatpants they wear an “R” or end their enlightening post with: #WeRiordan

Last edited:
Come on you read my posts. Didn't want us to lose but I warned repeatedly we were playing with fire. Consistency is key. Through the good and the bad , be consistent. We choked , is the theme. I here all this crap...shot selection, etc...everything is great when we play Valley, SHC, St. Ignatius etc...we got to stop hitting the panic button. Riordan is ok. We said it after the Serra game. Ok now it's time to really put your best foot forward. Win or go home now. Put in the game plan , prepare properly, put ego aside and get it done! I am done unless someone calls me out. Not going sit here and lie and act like I am not disappointed. We are who we R.
was
Good game St. FRANCIS!

Do you think they knew what defense was being run on them and could adjust? Amoeba

J thoughts? Surprised, after your last post you said you were ready to throw dogs. What did you see tonite? Your a vet like you said, curious how you saw the game?
Could not make it. Been away on business all week and was hoping there was a stream so I could catch the game in-flight. Wow! This board reminds me of the old days with IHOP, JSQUARE, and the rest! Now we have some next gen posters on this board. Great to see the passion! Lol! This team has me scratching my head - lots of talent, seem to enjoy themselves playing together...Final score was 66-60? Not all that gloom and doom. Could they have won with good FT shooting? Were there a lot turnovers? Didn't see the box score but how did Jelani and Bryce do? Rebounding? If any of these were missing, I can see losing to a well-coached team playing for a 3rd time. I thinks us "grown ups" take losses a lot harder than the kids IMHO. Consider this a life lesson on how to deal with adversity and a challenge and let's see how this team figures it out. It's that simple. Go Crusaders!

Reactions: CityVibesII
Could not make it. Been away on business all week and was hoping there was a stream so I could catch the game in-flight. Wow! This board reminds me of the old days with IHOP, JSQUARE, and the rest! Now we have some next gen posters on this board. Great to see the passion! Lol! This team has me scratching my head - lots of talent, seem to enjoy themselves playing together...Final score was 66-60? Not all that gloom and doom. Could they have won with good FT shooting? Were there a lot turnovers? Didn't see the box but how did Jelani and Bryce do? Rebounding? If any of these were missing, I can see losing to a well-coached team playing for a 3rd time. I thinks us "grown ups" take losses a lot harder than the kids IMHO. Consider this a life lesson and let's see how this team figures it out. It's that simple. Go Crusaders!

I’m a SFHS parent. The second game these two teams played near the end of league was competitive and close, with Riordan playing better at the end while SFHS missed free throws. I was very happy for the SFHS kids to win last night but not that surprised.

Riordan has a great team, tons of talent, and is one of my favorite away gyms to visit as a spectator. Will be rooting for them in NorCals.

Last edited:
That is your articulate response???

You are a Riordan parent who has the great pleasure of watching your son play at a program that carries great a legacy in prep Basketball. I believe you even supported your son’s desire to transfer to be apart of it.

But the Riordan Legacy will carry on, I hope this season.But I guarantee for many season later.

(To think you bring more to the program than a 3 year parent, I suggest you are delusional)

I wish, hope, pray and believe in the success of Riordan. Not for any players individually, but for a program that was recognized on ESPN for supporting a Team Manager and providing the culture of success to young men and soon young women.

A true Riordan parent doesn’t where a players name on their sweatpants they wear an “R” or end their enlightening post with: #WeRiordan
So Sfcity fan , If I were to wear sweat pants with my son name on them I am totally within my right. The only thing since you are stalking me from a distance I do not own any pants with my son name on it. I do however own a R shirt with my name on it just like all the R shirts with their name on it that I purchased for the team, the coaches, and the team managers, KNOW YOUR FACTS. Your up at 2:38am writing on the boards? Interesting, couldn't sleep? Upset about the loss? Bryce isn't the first person to transfer and will not be the last. Bryce is happy at Riordan and loves fighting with his team. Nice of you to bring that up" Riordan supporter though?" The more you type and respond you show your true colors. Keep it going. Like I said We are who we R, a consolation team for now with an opportunity to do more. Pull together and make a run.

Reactions: OneDNA and ARHS92
Could not make it. Been away on business all week and was hoping there was a stream so I could catch the game in-flight. Wow! This board reminds me of the old days with IHOP, JSQUARE, and the rest! Now we have some next gen posters on this board. Great to see the passion! Lol! This team has me scratching my head - lots of talent, seem to enjoy themselves playing together...Final score was 66-60? Not all that gloom and doom. Could they have won with good FT shooting? Were there a lot turnovers? Didn't see the box score but how did Jelani and Bryce do? Rebounding? If any of these were missing, I can see losing to a well-coached team playing for a 3rd time. I thinks us "grown ups" take losses a lot harder than the kids IMHO. Consider this a life lesson on how to deal with adversity and a challenge and let's see how this team figures it out. It's that simple. Go Crusaders!
Sorry you missed the game. Things that could go wrong went wrong . We had our opportunities. We couldn't get over the hump. SF zone caused problems, we didn't get to the line that often. Missed shots, untimely turnovers, St. FRANCIS earned the win no doubt, it's only a learning lesson if we adjust right now against zone cause this is what we will see the rest of the way. Honestly there were some good things that were on display even through the tough times. I witnessed the kids come together during adversity and even after the game. Things went wrong during the game and I saw players lifting each other up instead of pointing the finger. You can build on that easily!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT