ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Folsom v De La Salle

There is no doubt the backups as scout team have a profound effect on practicing for an opponent. That’s also why it’s illogical to think a team with one or two 5* is automatically competitive. The many games mine played against the machine had zero, NONE, (even) two stars and it was the teams’ overall capabilities (especially coaching) which resulted in near upsets.

This is a very good point. This has been my observation as well.

They seemed to do pretty well once the State Bowl games started also
DLS will NOT win another state open division game as long as they have a bye every other game during the playoffs. And that’s straight out of the horses mouth. However if they can figure out how to lose against Folsom, they would have a good chance at winning a D-1 state title.

Reactions: SpartanzRule
DLS will NOT win another state open division game as long as they have a bye every other game during the playoffs. And that’s straight out of the horses mouth. However if they can figure out how to lose against Folsom, they would have a good chance at winning a D-1 state title.
GUYS...with all the hot air coming from the Folsom area, DLS can't afford to loose to Folsom, but if something strange took place, it could happen...

I’m not sure I agree with this 100%....the notion that DLS will never win another Open.

DLS will always want to be in the Open. Win or lose. But your point is well-taken considering what SoCal is doing now. That said, I think Sparty is going to be pretty damn good the next few years. I think that they have a shot if they kill it, AND SoCal has a “down” year somehow. I think that’s what it’ll take.

....and like you said, NorCal has somehow gotta get rid of byes. That’s lame and gives SoCal an additional advantage. The CIF has already put 2 weeks in between section Finals and the Open. These byes give SOCal extra time to prepare for DLS or whoever. Pretty sure that was their game plan all along.

GUYS...with all the hot air coming from the Folsom area, DLS can't afford to loose to Folsom, but if something strange took place, it could happen...

Sparty is going wreck shop. Trust me. Folsom always looks great curb stomping the River Citys and Rocklins. And the good news is that the kids are not nearly as confident as I am. They’ll keep working hard and continue stay humble due the great coaching. They know what’s on the line in this game. I’d be surprised is this game is within 14 points, honestly. And that’s no slight to Folsom as much is that DLS will be ready for this game. Folsom will have to score 40+ to win this. Even with the talent that they have, that’s just not gonna happen in my opinion. Can’t wait for this tilt. Long time coming.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I agree with much of what was said in the comments here. The one thing I think has been overlooked is the style of defense that each team plays. I have watched both teams and what sticks out the most are the run defenses. Folsom is ok, but if you watch them over the past few years against the Bellarmines and Oakdales of the world, they take a while to start closing gaps with ferocity. In the bells game they never really did that. In the Oakdale game it took almost a half. They probably have a new DC now and maybe their practice focus is more balanced between O and D. DLS ends offensive plays, pass or run, in a very blunt way and they do it from the first snap. To me that will be the difference. I could be wrong.

I agree with much of what was said in the comments here. The one thing I think has been overlooked is the style of defense that each team plays. I have watched both teams and what sticks out the most are the run defenses. Folsom is ok, but if you watch them over the past few years against the Bellarmines and Oakdales of the world, they take a while to start closing gaps with ferocity. In the bells game they never really did that. In the Oakdale game it took almost a half. They probably have a new DC now and maybe their practice focus is more balanced between O and D. DLS ends offensive plays, pass or run, in a very blunt way and they do it from the first snap. To me that will be the difference. I could be wrong.
Hurricane..You are right.....DLS defense works like clock work, every thing happens at the same time which closes the door on the offense. If you watch the DLS offense, its the same story, clockwork, guards pull out on sweeps and in no time, the offense has a wall place for the running back to pick his route. Folsom has to find a way to break this offense up at the line, other wise, DLS has gained seven to 12 yards in the blink of an eye, or even worse, a big gainer or a TD...

Alumbough is trying to get NCS to change the open format and get rid of the byes. He said he’s fine with a bye before state but playing 4 games in 8 weeks is a huge disadvantage. I do agree that DLS will be really good the next few years. But I have to agree with DLS coaching staff that it will be next to impossible to win a open state championships with all those byes.

If Folsom is within 14 points, they should consider it a win. I just don’t think Folsom's defense can stop DLS. I think there offense is good enough for 17 to 24 points. Witch is a lot against this DLS defense. I feel DLS offense will score at least 35+. That’s just my opinion. I have been wrong before. I’m ready to get started. Only 39 more days.

The byes are an issue, yes. But the stacked rosters due to all the transfers among the SoCal schools is a more compelling reason DLS will have a difficult time winning the Open. The SJBs, the Mater Deis, the Centennials are becoming increasingly more talented.

The byes are an issue, yes. But the stacked rosters due to all the transfers among the SoCal schools is a more compelling reason DLS will have a difficult time winning the Open. The SJBs, the Mater Deis, the Centennials are becoming increasingly more talented.
Witch is why they don’t stand a chance with all those byes. Yes the transfers of talent is a huge advantage. But I would argue that in at least 11 of the 13 state games DLS has been in, man for man they were out gunned. You look at last year against MD, they made so many mistakes. They looked like they played 4 times in 8 weeks. One of those byes was regular season, but the other three was NCS handcuffing them. I’m not saying they would have beat MD. ( I highly doubt they would have) but these byes all but guarantees they have no chance.

Witch is why they don’t stand a chance with all those byes. Yes the transfers of talent is a huge advantage. But I would argue that in at least 11 of the 13 state games DLS has been in, man for man they were out gunned. You look at last year against MD, they made so many mistakes. They looked like they played 4 times in 8 weeks. One of those byes was regular season, but the other three was NCS handcuffing them. I’m not saying they would have beat MD. ( I highly doubt they would have) but these byes all but guarantees they have no chance.
Well with an offense like the veer, timing is essential also. Which is why it generally takes DLS until about mid season before they are operating at peak efficiency. So yes, I am in agreement about the byes hurting them come playoff/ State Bowl time. Also think that it gives Folsom an edge playing them early in the season this year

Well with an offense like the veer, timing is essential also. Which is why it generally takes DLS until about mid season before they are operating at peak efficiency. So yes, I am in agreement about the byes hurting them come playoff/ State Bowl time. Also think that it gives Folsom an edge playing them early in the season this year

Really good point regarding the precision of the veer

I have to agree. History has proven. They can be beaten early. Can’t wait 38 more days.

History has proven they are beatable in week 10 as well.
I new the hater could not resist. Ok when did they LOSE in week 10???????????

I can’t think off the top of my head 1 time in the last 30 years that they have LOST in week 10. So what history are you talking about?

Last edited:
Beatable is not a synonym for loss, Merriam-Webster. The only thing I really hate is ignorance. Who “new?” LOL.

Beatable is not a synonym for loss, Merriam-Webster. The only thing I really hate is ignorance. Who “new?” LOL.
So basically you were just blowing smoke out your a... Again when were they beaten in week 10? It’s a simple question. I can think of a few games that were close in week 10 but NEVER was the outcome in doubt. I’m not saying they haven’t lost in week10. I simply said I can’t think of one in the last 30 or more years. You call me ignorant. You thought Lad was still the big cheese, you think East got screwed, and you act like DLS went out and recruited a couple of players in the 11th hour. Every thing you write about DLS is hate. That is a fact. You may or may not hate ignorance. You definitely hate DLS.

Allow the ignorant one to help you out. Every team in the county is beatable in week 10.

Simple question. When has history proven that DLS is beatable in week 10?

Last edited:
Simple question. When has history proven that DLS is beatable in week 10?

Forget week 10, when was the last time DLS lost in November? I am pretty sure the 2004 tie to Clayton was Thanksgiving weekend, but other than that, was it the Miramonte loss in 1983?

Reactions: 14U2ALLNV
Forget week 10, when was the last time DLS lost in November? I am pretty sure the 2004 tie to Clayton was Thanksgiving weekend, but other than that, was it the Miramonte loss in 1983?
That’s a good point. I guess history shows they are NOT beatable in the mouth of November.

I’m not the one who changed “beatable” to “losing.” But haters like to obfuscate when, in fact, it attenuates their point. When inquiring “Are they beatable in week 10?” I’d answer, and so would Lad and Eidson, “damn right;” and most would too -with a modicum of acumen. The query was NOT if they asked me, “Have they LOST in week 10 in the last twenty years?” If it were, I’d answer, “Nope.” See, one must pay attention to your English teacher early on or it’s a lifetime of communication mediocrity. Here you go:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/

But have at it and go off on some tangent like “Ladouceur ain’t the big dog,” to feel good. Good lord.

I’m not the one who changed “beatable” to “losing.” But haters like to obfuscate when, in fact, it attenuates their point. When inquiring “Are they beatable in week 10?” I’d answer, and so would Lad and Eidson, “damn right;” and most would too -with a modicum of acumen. The query was NOT if they asked me, “Have they LOST in week 10 in the last twenty years?” If it were, I’d answer, “Nope.” See, one must pay attention to your English teacher early on or it’s a lifetime of communication mediocrity. Here you go:

But have at it and go off on some tangent like “Ladouceur ain’t the big dog,” to feel good. Good lord.
Thank you. Now was that so hard. I apologize for having to put you in your place but you forced my hand. Of course any team in the country is beatable in any week. That doesn’t mean HISTORY has proven it. Mr. English teacher. You may not be the one trying to change beatable to losing. But you are the one trying to take out “history”. Look that up in your little dictionary.

Think before you post.

Last edited:

“History”
A: a chronological record of significant events.

Think before you post.

Humbab- the new NCP CHiP. Put in a few years hombre.
I’m sure Mr Envy loves a good game.

Humbab- the new NCP CHiP. Put in a few years hombre.
I’m sure Mr Envy loves a good game.
Sorry I’m not going to play your game. Your stripes are blinding bright. I’m sure streak is reading these posts and saying what the hell is going on. Attacking me says you concede to Envy.

You be you 1315. I’m done.

Last edited:
I apologize to the rest of the board for allowing myself to get caught up in a such a infantile argument. I feel like I just beat up a 6th grader. It just doesn’t feel as good as I thought it would.

Last edited:

By the way, I looked it up. The tie with Clayton was in October, 2004. So DLS might have a November winning streak dating back to 1983--the Miramonte loss was the first round of the playoffs that year.

By the way, I looked it up. The tie with Clayton was in October, 2004. So DLS might have a November winning streak dating back to 1983--the Miramonte loss was the first round of the playoffs that year.

What is their December winning streak?

Before all the hype of Folsom, the Dogs are going to have to figure out how to score on the Spartans and stop the veer (2013 45-17 and 2012 49-15 Spartans). Yes- different team and players but Folsom is going to have to be able to counter the Spartan elite pass rush and tight coverage and get the ball down field and also have success with the rush. Then the Dogs will have to be very disciplined and stout against the run. There is zero doubt the Spartans will have an elite defense this year and offense should be dangerous as well. No indications they will be down. If Folsom can play with the Spartan's in the trenches they will have a chance, but there is no doubt who the favorite in this game is. There is lots of experience that comes with DLSs schedule and playing in the Open state finals every year and the tradition is tough to break.

They tied Palma the same year in an earlier game. That was the weakest Spartan team in almost two decades as far as DLS goes.
One tidbit, that can be of importance, I'm a neutral fan. How many times has De La Salle gone against the Spread, vs Folsom went against the Veer? I know that DLS has gone against way more spread offenses (and this Folsom team has one of the best) than Folsom has gone against veer offenses. Get your popcorn ready.

Before all the hype of Folsom, the Dogs are going to have to figure out how to score on the Spartans and stop the veer (2013 45-17 and 2012 49-15 Spartans). Yes- different team and players but Folsom is going to have to be able to counter the Spartan elite pass rush and tight coverage and get the ball down field and also have success with the rush. Then the Dogs will have to be very disciplined and stout against the run. There is zero doubt the Spartans will have an elite defense this year and offense should be dangerous as well. No indications they will be down. If Folsom can play with the Spartan's in the trenches they will have a chance, but there is no doubt who the favorite in this game is. There is lots of experience that comes with DLSs schedule and playing in the Open state finals every year and the tradition is tough to break.

I agree with this. Pretty accurate assessment in my humble opinion. Not sure NorCal's ever had a game with this much anticipation. Both teams will be ready and will leave it all out there on 8/17. I give DLS the edge just due to all of points that you made. DLS, even in the losses, has become an experienced and battle-tested squad.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Great points on the dls front. "Hard hat" type of kids that bring it ever play for all four quarters. I like how hard they get off the ball and how they play until the whistle blows. No matter what year we talk about that seems to be a dls staple. This year I expect the same, however to me the mobile QB at Folsom will be a Big difference in the outcome of the game. Browning was a great QB but the young man wasnt very mobile, which the dls front took full advantage of. The front will be dominated by dls, but if the QB can evade the front with his feet, I believe the skill positions favor Folsom. If this scenario plays out, I see Folsom with the upset based on who can score last because as most have mentioned I don't see Folsom shutting down the dls offense. Another factor will be coaching. Will Richardson put his team in a position to win, or refuse to punt and give dls good field position. No matter who wins I expect a much closer game than the previous two, much closer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT