ADVERTISEMENT

Does Folsom deserve the State Open Division Finals Game?

Lets curb this discussion. Interesting premise whether Folsom deserved the Open bid with good back and forth. Now the games are set and we don't need anymore takes on who would win fictitious match-ups.

Are you new to this site?

That’s what the talk always is. Throw in some Calcraps data and a bunch of daisy chain scores and it’s gold.

At least we have a really good good barometer of what actually happens when Folsom and DLS actually meet up on the football field. Those late 00’s battles between Grant and DLS we’re all time great games played.....on a message board...instant classics!

It's not the same scenario from the standpoint that the Pacers had 2 wins over a State Champ. Folsom doesn't have that. They came close to 1, though, as CDA barely lost in the 5A Final to Highland.

However, they do have a 21 pt win over the SJS D2 Champ. But DLS has a win over St. John's who won WCAC.

In 2008, Grant Union had a clear advantage in resume. Folsom doesn't have that over DLS this season.
Yes, but this clear advantage was nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Both Utah and Idaho, as complete states, had about the same number of teams a the CCS, CS, and SDS. Because the word "state" is thrown behind it, it means more than beating a section champion? Hell, Bellarmine had a win over a champion from a section much larger than either Idaho or Utah... the SJS (St. Mary's). DLS had about 6 wins that were comparable to Highland.

Not only that, after watching Grant win that game in Idaho, I clearly remember the discussion was whether or not Highland would be a top 10 team... in the SJS.

Reactions: DLSPop1314
DC was very good. Funny how they dropped out of Regional Top 20, after a tough and narrow loss to GB. The DC team I saw is better than the Del Oro team I saw GB punk last weekend

Probably because they played in d2 so some were skeptical of the competition

It is always interesting to watch games where DLS is so overmatched.

Maybe Folsom/DLS should play next year. DLS will be a lot better next year as well and I think the freshman will start at QB as a soph. He can run and throw better than the other two.
I think many Spartan fans are concerned about next year. If they don't have a good showing this year at the Open (2 years running), they don't play Folsom next year and both have great seasons, will Folsom be picked for the Open when DLS may truly be the more dominant team..

Interesting comment about injuries as sparty gets more rest for their starters in-season than 99% of programs.

@35- why wouldn’t dLS backers want a shot at MD and another (not real) MNC? The once storied bravado from Winton is now “DLS alum’s” post @35? “(We’ll) be crushed by MD.” After 20 years of snarking dominance over programs “who didn’t work hard enough” it’s mirror time; suck it up and take your lumps.

Interesting observation

My sense is you would have ripped DLS Alum more if he acted like you before every Cal/ DLS game and just raged about the inequity of the roster (which has a multiple larger variance in “talent” than in any Cal/ DLS game ever)

I had to go back and check and make sure you weren’t referring to me because I’ve used the exact same verb (“crushed”). Is there a way to express that emotion without you being giddy at DLS fans’ behavior? Seems like the alternatives are worse —

1). Complain about them having 20 guys that will play on Sundays (whine)

2). Say the game should be competitive (delusional)

3). Day DLS ought to be crushed (realist)

Is there a 4th or 5th option? Seems like you are just gleeful DLS isn’t best team in the state (and only best team in NorCal again)

It is always interesting to watch games where DLS is so overmatched.

Agree.... sort of

I love DLS as an underdog, but mostly in situations where I believe they have a good shot to win but against a more pedigreed roster

This is more like an Alamo mismatch — the result is 99% a foregone conclusion, but showing well still means something. Not to get to get too historically esoteric, after the 300 Spartans of Thermopylae finally succumbed against impossibly overwhelming odds, an inscription was left on the battle site translated as:

“Passerby, Go tell the Spartans that here obedient to their laws we lie”

A noble demise may be best realistic hope against Mater Dei

Ironically thicker than a Neti-pot exudate after a week of Augmentin.

After >8,000 posts, it’s a little confusing isn’t it? Your “talent” counterpart is rooted to the “bonding” buddy from 20 posts ago, remember?
Unlike Crete (gets the big picture with the humor from parenting those who didn’t wear numbers) who’s enlightened, you ARE coming around, to wit:

“I love (dLS) as an underdog, but mostly in situations where I believe they have a good shot to win but against a more pedigreed roster.”

“Noble demise....” singlet parents wouldn’t get that! Dual sporters, probs. As I wrote, amusingly ironic.

Ironically thicker than a Neti-pot exudate after a week of Augmentin.

After >8,000 posts, it’s a little confusing isn’t it? Your “talent” counterpart is rooted to the “bonding” buddy from 20 posts ago, remember?
Unlike Crete (gets the big picture with the humor from parenting those who didn’t wear numbers) who’s enlightened, you ARE coming around, to wit:

“I love (dLS) as an underdog, but mostly in situations where I believe they have a good shot to win but against a more pedigreed roster.”

“Noble demise....” singlet parents wouldn’t get that! Dual sporters, probs. As I wrote, amusingly ironic.

You’re not worth it

Agree.... sort of

I love DLS as an underdog, but mostly in situations where I believe they have a good shot to win but against a more pedigreed roster

This is more like an Alamo mismatch — the result is 99% a foregone conclusion, but showing well still means something. Not to get to get too historically esoteric, after the 300 Spartans of Thermopylae finally succumbed against impossibly overwhelming odds, an inscription was left on the battle site translated as:

“Passerby, Go tell the Spartans that here obedient to their laws we lie”

A noble demise may be best realistic hope against Mater Dei

I’m certainly not driving to Sacramento to watch the game, but it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to me if they won. Late season DLS has a knack for surprising people in this sort of game

I remember a few years back Servite swept the Pac5 after an amazing undefeated season and I remember reading posts about how all DLS could do was try to keep it look close and save face. I think the final score was 49-7 or something

Last edited:
I’m certainly not driving to Sacramento to watch the game, but it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to me if they won. Late season DLS has a knack for surprising people in this sort of game

I remember a few years back Servite swept the Pac5 after an amazing undefeated season and I remember reading posts about how all DLS could do was try to keep it look close and save face. I think the final score was 49-7 or something
SoCal teams of those days are nowhere near the SoCal teams of today. With open transfers allowed down south and teams STACKING the D1 talent, I don't know if NorCal will win another state title anytime soon.

The Servite game was 48-8 and it was 42-0 2 plays into the 2nd half, about a quarter prior to Servite getting a first down

I agree that DLS has a history of playing their best late season — I just think even if Kairee plays, MD is an awfully tall mountain — likely the best team DLS has ever played (and maybe best hsfb team ever)

If Kairee plays, I feel better about the long shot but I think that moves the line from 100:1 to 50:1 — DLS would need their A fame against the worst MD has played all year and then maybe another break or two

Reactions: townbiz24
SoCal teams of those days are nowhere near the SoCal teams of today. With open transfers allowed down south and teams STACKING the D1 talent, I don't know if NorCal will win another state title anytime soon.

I agree with this, specifically referring to Open title

Until and unless something changes, socal looks to have a couple or three top 10 teams every year and today’s top 10s have more separation from field than ten years ago for reasons you’ve outlined in socal that also go on elsewhere

I agree with this, specifically referring to Open title

Until and unless something changes, socal looks to have a couple or three top 10 teams every year and today’s top 10s have more separation from field than ten years ago for reasons you’ve outlined in socal that also go on elsewhere
Yes, you are right. I was referring to the Open division. All the other divisions are definitely winnable as those teams will not be any of the top teams in Socal from the Trinity league.

Reactions: DLSPop1314
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT