observer22

Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
EBAL Scores:

Cal 27 - AV 7
Granada 35 - Dublin 25
Foothill 42 - MV 14
SRV 56 - DV 0

SRV looking dominant again, the clear EBAL favorites who have now outscored their league opponents 101-0 in 2 games. Cal continues to quietly put up wins with solid D. Foothill rebounds from the SRV disaster last week with a solid road win over suddenly questionable MV, who barely won their 1st two games over Deer Valley 13-7 & Dublin 28-26. Granada with a nice win over Dublin.

3-0 SRV at 3-0 Cal next week is a huge early season matchup which could very well determine the EBAL champion.

Last edited:
EBAL standings as of 9/16:

Overall; League

SRV 3-0; 2-0
Cal 3-0; 2-0
Granada 3-0; 1-0
MV 2-1; 1-1
AV 2-2; 1-1
Foothill 1-2: 1-1
Livermore 2-1; 0-1
Dublin 1-2; 0-2
DV 0-3; 0-2

SRV should be in the Open with a win over Cal. The question is, will they play DLS back to back weeks if they get in? Besides DLS, Pitt & Freedom look to be the other two as early favorites.

I think it will end up like last year for MV. MV 9-0, lost to DLS last game of the season and did not end up in open. If SRV beats Cal this week they should go into the DLS game last game of the season undefeated and lose (DLS has bye before the SRV game), and most likely will end up not going to open.

The difference this year is there is not another strong non-EBAL team like Clayton Valley Charter. A 9-1 SRV team would be picked over an 8-2 CVC

Reactions: Paloma
The difference this year is there is not another strong non-EBAL team like Clayton Valley Charter. A 9-1 SRV team would be picked over an 8-2 CVC

CVC had an impressive victory over Antioch to get back into the win column. If Antioch ends up winning the BVAL, then that might be enough to get them into the Open. But if Antioch ends up in 3rd or 4th place in the BVAL, then it means nothing.

For sure EBAL is down this year. Certainly strength of schedule wont help any EBAL team.

The top 5 EBAL teams (SRV, Cal, Foothill, MV & AV) play 8 league games, plus the top team in NorCal DLS. So they only get 1 other non-league game. Playing DLS and any other team is not exactly an easy preseason when the best you can reasonably expect is 1-1.

SRV looks dominant this year and rightfully should be considered the EBAL favorite. But they have to play at Cal this week, who has beaten them 10 of the last 11 times they have played, including 37-7 last year and 35-16 two years ago.

SRV looks dominant this year and rightfully should be considered the EBAL favorite. But they have to play at Cal this week, who has beaten them 10 of the last 11 times they have played, including 37-7 last year and 35-16 two years ago.
SRV, Cal, & CVC will be fighting to get the two slots for the Open. The other two will be DLS & PITT.

Eyeball test. Cal does not have the size up front or skill on the outside. SRV was the dominant team from start to finish. Early season so lets see what October brings. Big test for Cal this week with a Foothill team with Woolridge at QB. Cal still second best team in EBAL IMO.

I agree. SRV dominated both sides of the ball. When Cal marched down to the 10 yard line first and goal down 14-0 and couldn't even muster a FG attempt, it was clear it was going to be a long day. And what was the deal going for it on 4th and 1 inside their own 40 down 7-0 early in the game, and not even getting off a clean snap? SRV didn't even have to do anything to stop them there. Those 2 series pretty much summed up the game for the Grizz.

Cal vs. Foothill should be for the #2 spot in the EBAL. Wooldridge will get one last shot against his old teammates.

Compare strength of schedule to this point. Clayton Valleys losses were to much greater competition. CV didn't load pre league games with cupcakes and have 2 wins over BVAL teams as well.

Compare strength of schedule to this point. Clayton Valleys losses were to much greater competition. CV didn't load pre league games with cupcakes and have 2 wins over BVAL teams as well.
Srv has a tougher schedule tho they still have to play monte vista, and de la salle and they beat a good california and Tracy team

Reactions: UglyEagle
I agree. SRV dominated both sides of the ball. When Cal marched down to the 10 yard line first and goal down 14-0 and couldn't even muster a FG attempt, it was clear it was going to be a long day. And what was the deal going for it on 4th and 1 inside their own 40 down 7-0 early in the game, and not even getting off a clean snap? SRV didn't even have to do anything to stop them there. Those 2 series pretty much summed up the game for the Grizz.

Cal vs. Foothill should be for the #2 spot in the EBAL. Wooldridge will get one last shot against his old teammates.

and one last chance for Griz against Wooldridge......

Reactions: observer22
The only tough team y'all dealed with is miliani and reed, canyon springs didn't look that good and this Antioch team seems to be much weaker than last year

Monte vista is very mediocre this season. SRV did get a quality win over Cal. Aside from that not much beef on their schedule. I would argue that Antioch is better than Cal high and Monte Vista. Miramonte and Acalanes are both 5-0 and I would argue are comparative to SRV schedule.

Monte vista is very mediocre this season. They did get a quality win over Cal. Aside from that not much beef on their schedule. I would argue that Antioch is better than Cal high and Monte Vista. Miramonte and Acalanes are both 5-0 and I would argue are comparative to SRV schedule.
Good analysis how was Antioch when they played you guys? I thought this Antioch team was gonna put up a good game with Clayton valley this year

SRV has no losses thus far, and if they go 9-1 as was stated in the initial post, then their only loss would be to DLS. I don't know how CVC's 2 losses could possibly be to greater competition than DLS. SRV's 2 non-league games are with DLS and Tracy, again hard to see how CVC was playing better competition. The EBAL is a better league than the DVAL/DFAL.

EBAL scores

SRV 37 - Cal 6
Foothill 40 - Dublin 14
AV 22 - Granada 19
MV 17 - Livermore 10

SRV takes a huge step towards winning the EBAL with a big win over Cal. Foothill shows they are back and Wooldridge will be ready to face his former Grizz teammates this week in the fight for 2nd place. Dons give Granada their first league loss, and Livermore narrowly loses a tough battle with defending NCS D1 champs.

EBAL standings as of 9/23:

Overall; League

SRV 4-0; 3-0
Cal 3-1; 2-1
MV 3-1; 2-1
AV 3-2; 2-1
Foothill 2-2: 2-1
Granada 3-1; 1-1
Livermore 2-1; 0-2
Dublin 1-3; 0-3
DV 0-3; 0-2

Antioch is a quality win? That is news to me. Also, yes CVC has two wins over BVAL teams, but will either of those teams place in the Top 3 of that league? Maybe San Ramon Valley should have scheduled Riordan to get the WCAL win?

I think wins by SRV over Foothill and Cal are better than CVC wins over Canyon Springs, Miramonte and Campo if they run the table.

Easy choice for me to go with 9-1 SRV over 8-2 CVC for the right to play De La Salle in the Open Division

Antioch is a quality win? That is news to me. Also, yes CVC has two wins over BVAL teams, but will either of those teams place in the Top 3 of that league? Maybe San Ramon Valley should have scheduled Riordan to get the WCAL win?

I think wins by SRV over Foothill and Cal are better than CVC wins over Canyon Springs, Miramonte and Campo if they run the table.

Easy choice for me to go with 9-1 SRV over 8-2 CVC for the right to play De La Salle in the Open Division

Besides being a really good team, this SRV team appears to be more physically and mentally tough than teams they had in the recent past.

and one last chance for Griz against Wooldridge......
....or cheerleading.
What's up with the Grizz? Two year starter at QB marketed as a possible D1 (6'3", 230) and they get smoked by a 5'10" no offers. Looking at the HUDL vids, who puts short swing passes as their game highlight for the world to see? smh

....or cheerleading.
What's up with the Grizz? Two year starter at QB marketed as a possible D1 (6'3", 230) and they get smoked by a 5'10" no offers. Looking at the HUDL vids, who puts short swing passes as their game highlight for the world to see? smh

I'm no expert on the current Grizzly squad but me thinks big Griz QB will be a sought after punter, not quarterback. Not a whole lot of vertical passing going on in the Cal High system :D

True, he went to punting camps and got "rated." But read he had a big arm and he had a good year as a Junior.

Maybe put in the Jr to gauge his chops. Now that the EBAL title seems unlikely, ramp up the real prize...Winton.

True, he went to punting camps and got "rated." But read he had a big arm and he had a good year as a Junior.

Maybe put in the Jr to gauge his chops. Now that the EBAL title seems unlikely, ramp up the real prize...Winton.

So far I've only seen the first quarter of the game replay but both quarterbacks were probably pumped up beyond reality, at least in terms of college interest. Although a real giant at 6'5' 310 and passing the eye test, I'd like to see McDonald with quicker feet, better bend and more athleticism. Me thinks they will likely have him drop a few pounds once at UCLA. An absolute beast at the high school level.

In fairness to the Sr. QB/punter, he did lose his primary all league receiver to Foothill over the off season, and thus has less options. But SRV controlled the LOS on both sides and he didn't have much time to throw anyway. Still not sure why they didn't punt on 4th and 1 inside their own 40 down 7-0 early, with a D1 punter who can boom the ball. Instead they fumbled the snap and ended up with a quick 14-0 deficit. Not used to seeing SRV manhandle a Grizz line like that.

Reactions: Bubba3000 and 1315
Has Cal High settled for what they are? Solid program looking at 7-3 or 8-2 each year with maybe some playoff success. A lot of programs would take that in a heartbeat, but seems to be a step back for the Grizzlies.

Has Cal High settled for what they are? Solid program looking at 7-3 or 8-2 each year with maybe some playoff success. A lot of programs would take that in a heartbeat, but seems to be a step back for the Grizzlies.

I don't think they would be unhappy with 8-2 but they haven't been manhandled like they were against SRV by anyone not named DLS in a long time.

Foothill will be a tough game for Cal High not because of physicality, but because of Falcon skill players. With that said I think the Foothill game is certainly winnable for the Griz, especially if they can consistently pressure Wooldridge.

Agree 1000%

Plus I think the Oak Ridge win over Reed eliminates CV unless SRV, Freedom and Pittsburg completely flounder. Reed rolled up CV and Oak Ridge barely hung on over Vacaville and I just watched Pittsburg manhandle Vacaville.

Is what it is. Antioch doesn't have the best player in the last 20 years anymore and Murphy isn't beating up on D2's any more.

So would SRV go into the open as 4 seed if things remain the same? If so that means back-to-back games with DLS as they play DLS last game of the season. Ouch.

A good question is: is it better to be in the open as a 4 seed and face DLS game one and get bounced. Or go to the playoff bracket and potentially get to play several playoff games vs just the one and done?

So would SRV go into the open as 4 seed if things remain the same? If so that means back-to-back games with DLS as they play DLS last game of the season. Ouch.

I think the jury is still out on SRV. If they dominate everyone until the final week and then put up a good fight vs Sparty in week 10, they could still potentially get the #2 seed in the Open.

Of course if they stumble they may not even make the Open. Pitt looks like the #2 seed right now and Freedom looks solid, but one of them will lose when they play and there's a lot of football left to be played. As of today I would say CVC is the odd man out, but it worked out well for NCS D1 champ MV last season.

Personally, I think the dark horse in BVAL is Heritage. Maybe I'm just saying that cause my nephew is one of their coaches. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT