ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: De La Salle vs. Mater Dei

I ain't Larry but if DLS played that sloppy of a game vs Folsom this year, there's a good chance they would have lost.

Next year is Folsom's window to make it's case to play in the Open game. DLS just had two blowout losses in the Open, Folsom's team is mostly underclassmen and will be lights out next year. If they can schedule an out of league game with a national top 25 team (SJB, Centennial), win that game, and run the table, I think the commissioners would have no choice but to throw them a bone next year and put them in the Open.

Not If but Will they schedule.....Put an end to all this "what If" and pull the trigger

Last edited:
Look at schools in the Bay Area in general. Enrollment is down. Almost everywhere. Look at the WCAL this year. DLS was down. I understand everything is cyclical, but it appears things are changing fast. I understand people will get offended by this, but it is suppoted by facts.

Please cite your suppoted facts,,,,,,

MD has guys transferring in from other major parochial HS programs like Santa Margarita, SJB, etc on a yearly basis. How many DlS kids have transferred into there program Jr or Sr year from another private/public within the same area? The thing in s cal is far ahead like somebody said. But honestly North should be proud. We did very well in a lot of the bigger games. I mean Folsom, St Francis, Serra win and poor Pitt laid an egg after 21-0. So I'm not pressing any panic button.
If there's such a thing as a "great" loss, then it much be Pitt's. It was a respectable loss I believe after shutting out opponent in most of the 1st half, in the full 1st qtr. 28-21 is a competitive loss for Pitt and if you heard Galli's awarding comment "hope to be back next year", I think it's a promise he will keep. Congrats to Pitt , and to the winners of the State games. At least for now, the South will know that there's a team looming in the corner to do great things for the future. Pitt had achieved recognition in the South----after so many times of exposure playing big boys in the South.

All top programs get players from everywhere, to include publics now. I think your point was good 20 years ago. But this is now the new norm. The whole homegrown players argument is old. Homegrown doesn't generally exist anymore.
Trust me, I'm well versed on top programs getting players from everywhere. If you were in my circle while I was a coach you would know this very well. Just looking at Elk Grove back in the 90's, 2000's tells you homegrown doesn't work anymore. South Sac took good care of Elk Grove back in the day. I know a few Sac Vikings and Sac Raiders coaches. And now Elk Grove has been taking good care of Folsom to a certain degree. So yes, homegrown is a thing of the past and has been for sometime. Do I think it's a bad thing for players from other communities to play where they want, no. Do I believe it hurts the schools in their communities when they transfer out, yes. So what do I believe should be done. Private play Private and Public play Public because no matter how good a Public is one year they will never be as good as the top Private school. One exception, Public's and Private's can schedule 7 on 7 and pre-season games but are forbidden to play during in-season and post-season. As soon as they get a grip on this transferring fiasco the sooner they can go back to scheduling Private vs Public whenever.

The Junkie

Reactions: coachlittle
I agree with most of what you said I don’t like the route it’s going it’ll be nice to see teams win with their own talent but so cal is 10 steps ahead of our systems up north I guess they need to keep up with the rest of the nation they even gotta compete to keep their players away from Bishop Gorman. At this point they should just allow open transfers to public’s in nor cal. We need a couple dominate programs that can compete on a national level the fact that dls haven’t lost to a nor cal team in 20 years and go out there against Mater Dei and Bosco in back to back years and look like they shouldn’t even be on the same field is sad for nor cal. Dls has a couple good studs but they clearly don’t “recruit” like many think
Great post. And to be fair they should allow open enrollment to all NorCal Public schools to balance the playing field. The reason the CIF commissioners wouldn't allow this during the time I was playing ball is because you would have one inner city Public school with 3 Tim Mcdonald's and 3 Ickey Woods on it. The inner city Public schools were already the best sports programs during this time so imagine if they allowed those schools what you're now proposing. It would have been insane. Could you imagine Grant with 3 Lance Briggs along with 3 Ontario Smith's on it. They didn't want that back then. And now they okay it for the Private schools while many Public schools fall short in sports now.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer how most schools in NorCal handle their business in terms of maintaining their focus on local kids.

Why change the way we do things if we are only giving up winning the Open. Leave the Open to college high school programs in So Cal. Norcal wins their fair share of the other bowl games. That's not a bad thing. If we accept the fact that the very top teams in SoCal are not homegrown and don't represent their communities then context means it's not a big deal. It's only relevant if your competitive belief is we have to win the "Open".

Frankly winning the Open, to me, is the least priority. Creating a good experience for the kids is the most important thing. Winning a state title with kids recruited throughout a region of the US is hardly admirable. Punching above your weight and beating teams who have more advantages than you is more impressive.

Now, watching a super team is clearly entertaining but when I do, I don't pretend for a moment that "this is high school football". It's sort of like a freak show. I really enjoyed the individual talents of watching the talent of Mater Dei and what is possible if you stack a team, but while watching, you know it is contrived.

Last edited:
MD has guys transferring in from other major parochial HS programs like Santa Margarita, SJB, etc on a yearly basis. How many DlS kids have transferred into there program Jr or Sr year from another private/public within the same area? The thing in s cal is far ahead like somebody said. But honestly North should be proud. We did very well in a lot of the bigger games. I mean Folsom, St Francis, Serra win and poor Pitt laid an egg after 21-0. So I'm not pressing any panic button.
I wouldn’t panic either because as the system is set up now it Pretty much insures the north to do well.If however the southern Section decided to change to a Open it wouldn’t be so accommodating.SJB would have played Folsom,Helix would have played Pittsburg,Narbonne vs Serra and Cajon vs St. Francis all the way down to to the 6A game.Panic buttons would be pushed then

The veer offense DLS runs is an old, antique FB offense, great
for a high school system, simple, repetitious, boring but effective system, a few college teams still use it. The SoCal teams have
learned to defend it to a significant extent but for some reason
NorCal teams have not, in a sense that is why DLS keeps using
it because they know opposition teams in the past 20+ years
rarely see it and it is hard for defenses to prepare for it
especially during the season when you only have a week to
prepare for it.

..but in this age of HSFB, I think DLS is going to have to
devote more time to their passing game, as the announcers
stated DLS runs the ball 75-80% of the time,the higher level
talented teams will now just stack the box and force you to your
passing game and let the chips fall where they may...

Reactions: thekingera
Personally, I prefer how most schools in NorCal handle their business in terms of maintaining their focus on local kids.

Why change the way we do things if we are only giving up winning the Open. Leave the Open to college high school programs in So Cal. Norcal wins their fair share of the other bowl games. That's not a bad thing. If we accept the fact that the very top teams in SoCal are not homegrown and don't represent their communities then context means it's not a big deal. It's only relevant if your competitive belief is we have to win the "Open".

Frankly winning the Open, to me, is the least priority. Creating a good experience for the kids is the most important thing. Winning a state title with kids recruited throughout a region of the US is hardly admirable. Punching above your weight and beating teams who have more advantages than you is more impressive.

Now, watching a super team is clearly entertaining but when I do, I don't pretend for a moment that "this is high school football". It's sort of like a freak show. I really enjoyed the individual talents of watching the talent of Mater Dei and what is possible if you stack a team, but while watching, you know it is contrived.
I totally disagree because the "Open" or as some call it "The Show" is what it's all about to the real athlete's and coach's. So when the other SoCal teams start winning the games below "The Show" due to players transferring what will be the excuse than. You have to allow NorCal the opportunity to have open enrollment to match SoCal or you will start losing every State Championship game in the near future. For example, there were about 7 games that could have went either way. So allowing the SoCal teams to freely accept transfers and not NorCal teams will only have you making excuses for D1, D2 and so on and so on in the near future. I believe NorCal has the better coaching but that will only go so far. The SoCal programs that think like you will start accepting more transfers in to become a D1, D2 and D3 powerhouse. You might get what you ask for and it won't be pretty for NorCal if they can't do the same no matter what level of play.

I ain't Larry but (1) if DLS played that sloppy of a game vs Folsom this year, there's a good chance they would have lost.
(2) DLS just had two blowout losses in the Open, If they can schedule an out of league game with a national top 25 team (SJB, Centennial), win that game, and run the table, I think (3) the commissioners would have no choice but to throw them a bone next year and put them in the Open.

(1) I think it is a guarantee DLS would have lost to Folosm and even a couple other NorCal schools if they played as sloppy as they did against MD. Alot of the mistakes I saw happened when their was not a single MD player next to them, so you can't make the argument that MD caused some of the errors. Some of their players just simply played poorly. Very uncharacteristic of DLS, but I wonder if knowing what they were up against potentially got in their heads. In other words I could not see DLS making those same errors against a school like Folsom.

(2 & 3) I don't believe the CIF will put any weight into the prior 2 open game outcomes when its time to decide who will goto the open. If Folsom does what you stated with regards to their schedule than the CIF would not be throwing them a bone, Folsom would have simply earned the open, which is something they have not done with the schedule they tend to put together. Unless DLS improves alot over this years squad and has an impressive resume themselves. Partly why we would need the Open Regional back for NorCal.

I personally would love to see them schedule up, run the table and get into the open. Being an SJS guy, I definitely know that Folsom will be even better next year, but have no idea what level DLS will be at. If they are not improved over this years squad than Folsom as the NorCal open should be a no-brainer. Ill let the DLS guys chime in on where they think DLS will be at talent wise next year.

I wouldn’t panic either because as the system is set up now it Pretty much insures the north to do well.If however the southern Section decided to change to a Open it wouldn’t be so accommodating.SJB would have played Folsom,Helix would have played Pittsburg,Narbonne vs Serra and Cajon vs St. Francis all the way down to to the 6A game.Panic buttons would be pushed then
And in this case I would have picked MD over DLS, SJB over Folsom, Pitt over Helix, Serra over Narbonne and St. Francis over Cajon.

The veer offense DLS runs is an old, antique FB offense, great
for a high school system, simple, repetitious, boring but effective system, a few college teams still use it. The SoCal teams have
learned to defend it to a significant extent but for some reason
NorCal teams have not, in a sense that is why DLS keeps using
it because they know opposition teams in the past 20+ years
rarely see it and it is hard for defenses to prepare for it
especially during the season when you only have a week to
prepare for it.

..but in this age of HSFB, I think DLS is going to have to
devote more time to their passing game, as the announcers
stated DLS runs the ball 75-80% of the time,the higher level
talented teams will now just stack the box and force you to your
passing game and let the chips fall where they may...
Im not so sure that NorCal teams don't know how to defend it as much as they just are not able to defend it because of how good DLS runs it. As far as SoCal having learned how to defend it significantly, that has only equated to wins when for SoCal when it was DLS against an All-star SoCal team, which they don't face in NorCal. There are a number of SoCal schools who would still lose to DLS running this offense; however I totally agree they need to desperately develop a passing game to ever have any hope of being competitive with a SoCal All-star team

Reactions: aztecpadre
Agree

I hope DLS doesn’t change a thing about their program to “keep up with jones’” though

DLSPop1313 You might be missing a point. De La Salle are the Jones!
It is all the other schools who are, and were, trying to keep up with DLS. It is also a point, that many kids who play football got to go to DLS from areas outside your schools district. ( All completly Legal by the by ).
But please don'tt play it small by saying "we will suffer this fate. You guys had it good for many years.
Accept the fact, schools are meeting you on the platform you helped to shape.

Here's wishing you great football

Reactions: 1315 and observer22
Good points. Although there is a public school that seems to be closing the gap. Especially in next year's team. Hope they play. Would be a big honor!

Would be nice if both of their leagues allowed a game in week 10 — could/ should jen be the de facto Open with some credibility more than a week 0-2 game

RR- nice post. As you know, this how it's been in NorCal with the obsessed program. I got a big kick out their faithful the last two weeks pathetically whining "we're going to get trucked" by a program who is leveraging the same advantages they've enjoyed for 20 years. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, instead of taking a plunking and happily standing at first (NorCal publics), they go down,whining, glaring at the flamethrower and rubbing it all the way to the bag. I love the fact our neighborhood boys gave them all they could handle a few times.
Trust me, I'm well versed on top programs getting players from everywhere. If you were in my circle while I was a coach you would know this very well. Just looking at Elk Grove back in the 90's, 2000's tells you homegrown doesn't work anymore. South Sac took good care of Elk Grove back in the day. I know a few Sac Vikings and Sac Raiders coaches. And now Elk Grove has been taking good care of Folsom to a certain degree. So yes, homegrown is a thing of the past and has been for sometime. Do I think it's a bad thing for players from other communities to play where they want, no. Do I believe it hurts the schools in their communities when they transfer out, yes. So what do I believe should be done. Private play Private and Public play Public because no matter how good a Public is one year they will never be as good as the top Private school. One exception, Public's and Private's can schedule 7 on 7 and pre-season games but are forbidden to play during in-season and post-season. As soon as they get a grip on this transferring fiasco the sooner they can go back to scheduling Private vs Public whenever.

The Junkie

Home grown CAN work. Super coach, athletic kids join the youth footballers/get coached up, great assistants stick, no fear. Almost historic; twice.

It is all the other schools who are, and were, trying to keep up with DLS. It is also a point, that many kids who play football got to go to DLS from areas outside your schools district. ( All completly Legal by the by ).
But please don'tt play it small by saying "we will suffer this fate. You guys had it good for many years.

No, I am certainly not missing the point but you clearly are

DLS doesn’t take kids from outside their district because they, and 1,000+ private schools that you e never heard of, don’t have boundaries. There are some advantages of that arrangement to putting together a good high school football team to be sure, but DLS players all come from within “normal” student geography (I knew several boys and girls that attended DLS from Livermore, which is over an hour away in traffic and one out of a dozen played football (back up WR).

Why do you have a problem with this?

DLS. Ever has the most talented team in the state, and rarely does even in NorCal where they haven’t lost in 26 years

DLS kids work hard and guys like you insult them by attributing their success to some nefarious means — In 2011, the SRV seniors, juniors, and frosh all beat DLS as freshman but the DLS varsity eat SRV and their #2 ranked national QB 89-3 (before Zach Kline threw 2 TDs against deep reserves late in 2nd game)

DLS is nothing like the emerging academy class of schools that put talent together that would make Alabama blush — MD has more blue chip recruits this year than DLS has had since The Streak ended in ‘04..... really several times as many depending on where you draw the line for blue chip. IMG’s roster is even better although their players are mostly 1-year rentals (whereas DLS rarely accepts upper-class transfers and replaces attrition with new freshmen because they believe that it takes some years to fully receive DLS’s experience

You can understand this or sit with 1315 sucking your thumb and whining about being outworked

[QUOTE="larry legend33, post: 185902, member: 730"]That is an idiotic post if you think Folsom isn't a top 10 team in CA or a top 100 team in the nation. That should just be deleted.[/QUOTE]

Yes "legend" that post you referred to could likely be characterized as a "troll post".
Any knowledgable fan as well as the computers & numerous rankings polls all agree both Folsom & DLS are Top 10 ranked teams in CA and the #1 & #2 ranked programs in NorCal.

Yes "legend" that post you referred to could likely be characterized as a "troll post".
Any knowledgable fan as well as the computers & numerous rankings polls all agree both Folsom & DLS are Top 10 ranked teams in CA and the #1 & #2 ranked programs in NorCal.
Amazingly, there are posters who continue to come on here and claim that ALL of us are wrong and ALL the rankings are wrong. Not sure why the subject of Folsom is so emotional for some posters. Some are not here with us today on the forums because it' so emotional. Bizarre to me. It's just HS football. Congratulate them and move on. Go norcal!

Hard to believe that Helix is the #7 team in the state. Especially since they were destroyed by
Paraclete 6-23. There are easily 10 teams just in the LA area better than Helix.

You've been watching bad football so long, you can't tell the difference. Sad.

Pitts loss was a "great loss"? They were up 21- zip and choked the game a way to an LA inner City team, that lost to a quarter final loser LB Poly.

Well maybe since you think Narbonne was a State "Top10" team, you believe is was a "great loss". LOL.

Reactions: nascar624
Pull your head out Homer Larry. Tell us what Folsoms relevant wins were this year that justify a top 10 state ranking? Spare us with the undefeated record as 25 + other Calif teams including D-10 Paraclete could have had the same results with that weak ass schedule.

Also how hard was it to bypass every other relevant team in Calif in order to schedule Coord'lane?
We don't make the rankings. But if you beat the number 7 team in the state on a neutral field, logic days you will be in the top 10. Folsom also went undefeated in the toughest league in NorCal. They're trength of schedule was just below that of DLS, per Calpreps. Combine all of that and it equals and justifies the #3 ranking. Also they should be the consenus #1 going into next year.

Not a chance that Folsom is ranked #1 in the state going into 2018. Not in Calpreps and not even in NorCalhi Sports.

The "toughest league in Nor Cal" doesn't impress anyone not from Nor Cal.

You guys seriously need to be out more.

Hard to believe that Helix is the #7 team in the state. Especially since they were destroyed by
Paraclete 6-23. There are easily 10 teams just in the LA area better than Helix.

You've been watching bad football so long, you can't tell the difference. Sad.
Maybe you missed the game. Helix was darn good and had athletes all over the field. The game wasn't as close as the score reflected. Folsom beat a senior heavy Helix team with all juniors. Not the best win but a good one for sure.

Number one team in NorCal now per the rankings.

Not a chance that Folsom is ranked #1 in the state going into 2018. Not in Calpreps and not even in NorCalhi Sports.

The "toughest league in Nor Cal" doesn't impress anyone not from Nor Cal.

You guys seriously need to be out more.
#1 team in NorCal. Not the state.

They are #3 in NorCal. If you don't agree, you should email Calpreps. They use statistical data, not emotions, or homerism.

Maybe you missed the game. Helix was darn good and had athletes all over the field. The game wasn't as close as the score reflected. Folsom beat a senior heavy Helix team with all juniors. Not the best win but a good one for sure.

Number one team in NorCal now per the rankings.
Granted Helix was a "good team" and Folsom is a "better team". But Helix is simply not a state Top 10 team. Folsom would be a Borderline state top 10 team...by reputation only, not by anything they did on the field.

#1 team in NorCal. Not the state.

They are #3 in NorCal. If you don't agree, you should email Calpreps. They use statistical data, not emotions, or homerism.
I agree they will be ranked #1 in NorCal going into 2018. FWIW don't put tooooo much stock into CalPreps either. It's a rating service, not a ranking service.

That is correct that Folsom is #3 in CA and DLS #5 as was posted on the WCAL thread this morning. Folsom & DLS #1 & #2 for NorCal.

That is correct that Folsom is #3 in CA and DLS #5 as was posted on the WCAL thread this morning. Folsom & DLS #1 & #2 for NorCal.
Folsom did nothing on the field to earn a #3 ranking. They benefit mightily for playing in a relatively weak football area, and get bumped up the polls every week as better teams knock each other off. Pretty good racket but also pure fantasy.

I agree they will be ranked #1 in NorCal going into 2018. FWIW don't put tooooo much stock into CalPreps either. It's a rating service, not a ranking service.
I could care less where they are ranked. Still the best team in NorCal and a top 3 team in the state IMHO. It will all play out next year since at least 1 or 2 big names should show on they're chedule. And believe me the phones been ringing since the state bowl game.

Not sure why Folsom sparks such wild emotions with people. It's kind of funny to me. It's just a public school football team lol

Folsom did nothing on the field to earn a #3 ranking. They benefit mightily for playing in a relatively weak football area, and get bumped up the polls every week as better teams knock each other off. Pretty good racket but also pure fantasy.
Lol a relatively week football area? Credibility shot.

Ignore button ignited. Peace.

Reactions: DLSPop1314
I could care less where they are ranked. Still the best team in NorCal and a top 3 team in the state IMHO. It will all play out next year since at least 1 or 2 big names should show on they're chedule. And believe me the phones been ringing since the state bowl game.

Not sure why Folsom sparks such wild emotions with people. It's kind of funny to me. It's just a public school football team lol
The phone always rings at Folsom....it's been ringing since 2011. Problem is no one picks up.

Lol a relatively week football area? Credibility shot.

Ignore button ignited. Peace.
" Relatively weak" is what you call your league league that includes the Calpreps State. #26, #60, #96, # 235, teams, and then your first playoff game is with the #270 team, and your 2nd round opponent is state ranked #112

Last edited:
[QUOTE="DLSPop1314, post: 185980, member: 1078"

“DLS kids work hard and guys like you insult them”......whereas DLS rarely accepts upper-class transfers and replaces attrition with new freshmen because they believe that it takes some years to fully receive DLS’s experience”

You can understand this or sit with 1315 sucking your thumb and whining about being outworked[/QUOTE]

It’s entirely amusing the insults flung by someone whose kids never played FB at dLS. I would say the one factor you doubt, hard work, is the one there’d be no question about mine. Nice try.

I am very sorry your ship has sailed. But keep posting. Get that 10k one! Better than a reversal-LOL. It’s the closest you’ll ever get.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT