ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: De La Salle vs. Mater Dei

#1 team in NorCal. Not the state.

They are #3 in NorCal. If you don't agree, you should email Calpreps. They use statistical data, not emotions, or homerism.
Let me start by saying, as an SJS fan, I'm proud of how Folsom reped NorCal in the bowl game and am proud they will finally step up their schedule, but as a realistic fan of of football in general, I will say it doesn't matter what Calpreps says. Just because Calpreps says it doesn't make it accurate. Folsom again will be a unknown and there was nothing I saw in them to believe they could beat SJB, CC or DLS this year, and for anyone to not think the top in Ca, would go MD, SJB, and CC, doesn't really watch football outside of the team they follow. They had good wins, but their good wins were not blowouts and those teams IMO would be raped by the 3 I mentioned. Now next year, we will see and am excited to see them prove it.

Which leads to the next point, the reason Folsom generated so much emotion to most on this board is because they haven't validated themselves the way those other teams have, in other words the other teams have a resume to with more proof than what Folsom has shown this year. Again not saying they aren't everything you claim them to be, but they just don't have the resume to prove it.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
No, I am certainly not missing the point but you clearly are

DLS doesn’t take kids from outside their district because they, and 1,000+ private schools that you e never heard of, don’t have boundaries. There are some advantages of that arrangement to putting together a good high school football team to be sure, but DLS players all come from within “normal” student geography (I knew several boys and girls that attended DLS from Livermore, which is over an hour away in traffic and one out of a dozen played football (back up WR).

Why do you have a problem with this?

DLS. Ever has the most talented team in the state, and rarely does even in NorCal where they haven’t lost in 26 years

DLS kids work hard and guys like you insult them by attributing their success to some nefarious means — In 2011, the SRV seniors, juniors, and frosh all beat DLS as freshman but the DLS varsity eat SRV and their #2 ranked national QB 89-3 (before Zach Kline threw 2 TDs against deep reserves late in 2nd game)

DLS is nothing like the emerging academy class of schools that put talent together that would make Alabama blush — MD has more blue chip recruits this year than DLS has had since The Streak ended in ‘04..... really several times as many depending on where you draw the line for blue chip. IMG’s roster is even better although their players are mostly 1-year rentals (whereas DLS rarely accepts upper-class transfers and replaces attrition with new freshmen because they believe that it takes some years to fully receive DLS’s experience

You can understand this or sit with 1315 sucking your thumb and whining about being outworked

DLSPOP1314 . You do miss the point again. I have nothing but respect for DLS and have been following the school in all sports for many many years. Love their philosophy.
Re-read my post with a fresh pair of eyes. Unless you are somone with a hostile outlook and wanting to argue, you will see I am just stating things as they are and were.
Here's wishing you great football

When Folsom's had a chance to really step up, they've done poorly. The two DLS losses and the Bellarmine loss stick out like a sore thumb.

Folsom again will be a unknown
Unknown teams don't get challenged on social media by the nations best teams to schedule a team. Unknown teams don't generate the traffic this kind of traffic on these boards. Unknown teams don't have 3 state titles in 7 years. The word is out.

Folsom really doesn't have to validate anything. For arguments sake, they were playing in the game they should have been playing on. Against an equal public school with the same rules and constraints they operate under. Two top 10 teams on a neutral field. Believe it or Not, the system is designed a certain way on purpose. It doesn't take into account the opinions of NorCalPreps posters who want Folsom to play a private school power, because they are sick of Folsom mopping the floor with public schools.

I agree to a certain extent about the scheduling but not fully. They're SoS was nearly identical to DLS who played against a few national teams. The notion that Folsom played nobody is ludicrous. Everything is cyclical and Folsom has the horses this year and next to compete on a national level. We will see then against one of those teams next year. Bank on it. Some will be excited. Some will be extremely nervous. New names will be made up in preparation of that game. It will be the NorCalPreps event of the decade. Lol. And let's be 100 percent honest with ourselves. If Folsom beats, say CC or SJB, will Folsom really be validated? Nope. Everyone will just say "well that was one now you gotta schedule someone else!" Lol

I look forward to next year. I hope everyone else does too. Go Norcal!

[QUOTE="DLSPop1314, post: 185980, member: 1078"

“DLS kids work hard and guys like you insult them”......whereas DLS rarely accepts upper-class transfers and replaces attrition with new freshmen because they believe that it takes some years to fully receive DLS’s experience”

You can understand this or sit with 1315 sucking your thumb and whining about being outworked

It’s entirely amusing the insults flung by someone whose kids never played FB at dLS. I would say the one factor you doubt, hard work, is the one there’d be no question about mine. Nice try.

I am very sorry your ship has sailed. But keep posting. Get that 10k one! Better than a reversal-LOL. It’s the closest you’ll ever get.[/QUOTE]

Better English please

Hard to reply to babble

Are you saying your kid worked hard?

Bless his heart

RR- nice post. As you know, this how it's been in NorCal with the obsessed program. I got a big kick out their faithful the last two weeks pathetically whining "we're going to get trucked" by a program who is leveraging the same advantages they've enjoyed for 20 years. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, instead of taking a plunking and happily standing at first (NorCal publics), they go down,whining, glaring at the flamethrower and rubbing it all the way to the bag. I love the fact our neighborhood boys gave them all they could handle a few times.

Home grown CAN work. Super coach, athletic kids join the youth footballers/get coached up, great assistants stick, no fear. Almost historic; twice.

What a pathetic crybaby

DLSPOP1314 . You do miss the point again. I have nothing but respect for DLS and have been following the school in all sports for many many years. Love their philosophy.
Re-read my post with a fresh pair of eyes. Unless you are somone with a hostile outlook and wanting to argue, you will see I am just stating things as they are and were.
Here's wishing you great football

I reread with fresh eyes

Maybe missed your tone a bit but not content, which is just incorrect due to your lack of knowledge

You think something is happening at DLS which isn’t and you think what’s happening in socal was started by DLS and you couldn’t be more wrong

What else would you like to know

I agree to a certain extent about the scheduling but not fully. They're SoS was nearly identical to DLS who played against a few national teams. The notion that Folsom played nobody is ludicrous. Everything is cyclical and Folsom has the horses this year and next to compete on a national level. We will see then against one of those teams next year. Bank on it. Some will be excited. Some will be extremely nervous. New names will be made up in preparation of that game. It will be the NorCalPreps event of the decade. Lol. And let's be 100 percent honest with ourselves. If Folsom beats, say CC or SJB, will Folsom really be validated? Nope. Everyone will just say "well that was one now you gotta schedule someone else!" Lol

Stop comparing Folsom's schedule with DLS. Their SoS is not comparable. When averaging SoS, they are closer Folsom 48.7 to DLS 55.7, but that is based on average not top games. If you played the #1 team and the #100 team, would that be tougher than playing #50&51 teams? I would most definitely say so, but when you average them they are the same. Take a look at Folsom's top 100 nationally ranked teams this year, Helix #36, that's it. DLS has #1 MD, #13 BG, #49 St. Johns, #71 Pitt. These are not comparable schedules.
Does this make Folsom better or DLS better than the other, NO! But to try and convince anyone that play nearly identical SoS is ludicrous.

Reactions: DLSPop1314
Does this make Folsom better or DLS better than the other, NO! But to try and convince anyone that play nearly identical SoS is ludicrous.
I am not trying to convince anyone. This is my opinion. Based on numbers, watching both teams, and common opponents, Folsom is the best team in NorCal. This should easier to sort out next year as it all plays out. Many people agree and many people will disagree. I felt this was evident after watching both state bowl games. SoS is close because Folsoms league is strong and their non league opponents weren' bad. They didn't play a national team but played in a strong section and league. Apples to oranges I guess. Cheers!

Go NorCal!

Unknown teams don't get challenged on social media by the nations best teams to schedule a team. Unknown teams don't generate the traffic this kind of traffic on these boards. Unknown teams don't have 3 state titles in 7 years. The word is out.

Folsom really doesn't have to validate anything. For arguments sake, they were playing in the game they should have been playing on. Against an equal public school with the same rules and constraints they operate under. Two top 10 teams on a neutral field. Believe it or Not, the system is designed a certain way on purpose. It doesn't take into account the opinions of NorCalPreps posters who want Folsom to play a private school power, because they are sick of Folsom mopping the floor with public schools.

Folsom scheduling Coeur d'Alene was fine for a first game - happened that Idaho's star QB was out and the dogs went against their 3rd string (2nd team was out as well), but not a bad first game but also not an elite out-of-state team. One of games between Jesuit and Oakdale and Sacramento probably should have been against a national team like a Gorman, or an AZ Power or even getting a DLS on their schedule. Jesuit is a team they could face in the playoffs which they did and probably a game they should have had another game. I know scheduling is tough and teams make two year commitments, but Folsom doesn't seem to go out looking for games against elite teams. I think they are beoing considered where they should be- a good regional power until they pick up their schedule. A very strong public school that could test theirselves more than they are.

Folsom scheduling Coeur d'Alene was fine for a first game - happened that Idaho's star QB was out and the dogs went against their 3rd string (2nd team was out as well), but not a bad first game but also not an elite out-of-state team. One of games between Jesuit and Oakdale and Sacramento probably should have been against a national team like a Gorman, or an AZ Power or even getting a DLS on their schedule. Jesuit is a team they could face in the playoffs which they did and probably a game they should have had another game. I know scheduling is tough and teams make two year commitments, but Folsom doesn't seem to go out looking for games against elite teams. I think they are beoing considered where they should be- a good regional power until they pick up their schedule. A very strong public school that could test theirselves more than they are.
I think being a regional and state power is an honor. Most HSs would kill to be looked at as such.

Looking past that - the fun factor. That team is so fun to watch. The game against Helix had a huge crowd and everyone was fired up. The home games are amazing. Tons of exciteent and exciting play. We are so lucky. But thanks for the feedback.

With that Richardson said they should have no excuses to not play a top game whe Bosco calls you out I’m sure they’ll find a way to make the schedules work they called it off with st Mary’s and st Mary’s found Mater Dei real easy I’m sure folsom could do the same with ease when you’re a good local team other local teams won’t schedule you but nationally ranked teams will... Bosco wants to see exactly how good are the nor cal teams they played dls and st Mary’s two of the best programs why not see what folsom is about...any year you confident in the talent you got why not test it against other good teams I know that’s how grant operates why waste talent hypothetical match ups

With that Richardson said they should have no excuses to not play a top game whe Bosco calls you out I’m sure they’ll find a way to make the schedules work they called it off with st Mary’s and st Mary’s found Mater Dei real easy I’m sure folsom could do the same with ease when you’re a good local team other local teams won’t schedule you but nationally ranked teams will... Bosco wants to see exactly how good are the nor cal teams they played dls and st Mary’s two of the best programs why not see what folsom is about...any year you confident in the talent you got why not test it against other good teams I know that’s how grant operates why waste talent hypothetical match ups
I agree. We will find out soon enough who they will play. Probably the biggest mystery of next season that has this board on edge, wanting to know. Lol

Reactions: Deltadodger
I agree. We will find out soon enough who they will play. Probably the biggest mystery of next season that has this board on edge, wanting to know. Lol

If a game isn’t played against a Top ranked team next year Even when folsom coaches even wants it happen and knowing that too so cal teams are licking their chops to play folsom. It will say a lot about folsoms program and the direction they want to go in...but does folsom really wanna play a top ranked team and take the possibility of having to get placed in the open and get to play another top 5 nationally ranked team

Interesting toward the end of the game MD had the ball on the
DLS fourteen yard line and was most likely going to score and
put DLS on a running clock, I'm sure Rollinson thought about
doing it especially with the past history with DLS, but he was
a class act and pulled all the starters out to let the chips fall
where they may, otherwise it was almost a sure bet that the
game would have went to the mercy running clock.

Interesting toward the end of the game MD had the ball on the
DLS fourteen yard line and was most likely going to score and
put DLS on a running clock, I'm sure Rollinson thought about
doing it especially with the past history with DLS, but he was
a class act and pulled all the starters out to let the chips fall
where they may, otherwise it was almost a sure bet that the
game would have went to the mercy running clock.
DLS already knew it was over for them at that point as well and already had backups in as well. I'm sure the idea was to get the future of DLS some reps in a high profile game. Honestly any score by either team at the point you are referring to would have been considered garbage time and pointless.

The 3 state titles in 7 years, lets look at that for a second:

2010- legit state title against a highly ranked SoCal opponent that SoCal used the rain as excuses as to why Folsom won. Big thumbs up and kudos for that win.

2014- Oceanside, big thumbs down. Not a highly ranked opponent and Folsom definitely not challenged, so they were a unknown that year. Sure alot of us believe Folsom was one of the best that year, but no marquee games to use as proof.

2017- Helix, better team than Oceanside, but still not a top SoCal team. I still give them a thumbs up for this game as Helix was no slouch, but to validate them as the best in Norcal or number 3 in the state, I say again they don't have a marquee mach-up to support that notion.

Now if the system was in place that had SoCal number 2 in the D1 game than yes that would definitely validate them. I don't give a damn about them playing a private or public, I'm just saying to have a better guage on where they rank, they need the marquee mach-up and not just a bunch of good teams that are not one of the states best.

The only posters who would make the claim that Folsom needs to schedule and beat another team should they beat say a SJB or CC, would only come from those who dislike the team and refuse to see how good they are, others like myself who know they are good will be quick to use that win in support of any high ranking they should and probably most likely will receive next year.

With the next year thing in mind, should they get a marquee match-up and win will only validate them for that year, but does nothing to validate the prior teams like 2014 or 2017. Sorry, but they just don't have anything to use as proof other than opinions, and opinions doesn't validate a team. I personally like to deal in facts and want to have examples to use to try and validate my opinions. Unfortunately with Folsom, I don't have any examples that could validate them as number 1 in NorCal.

I reread with fresh eyes

Maybe missed your tone a bit but not content, which is just incorrect due to your lack of knowledge

You think something is happening at DLS which isn’t and you think what’s happening in socal was started by DLS and you couldn’t be more wrong

What else would you like to know

Nothing else.
You seem a bit irrational, but I'm sure you mean well. Enjoy the time off till next season.
Here's wishing you great football.

Defeat bosco , mater dei or Centennial? Let's just move aside that for a moment. Not happening. But I do believe Folsom competes with Mission Viejo.

Nothing else.
You seem a bit irrational, but I'm sure you mean well. Enjoy the time off till next season.
Here's wishing you great football.

Is the only reason you believe me to be irrational that I don’t agree with unfoumded allegations you made about a place it seems I know better than you?

DJ Williams and Kevin Simon would like to have a word with you.

I'll take 03 DLS team vs Mater Dei. Best team I've seen after all the injuries. Loaded. Quote D1's from other era's that team was the best.

No coincidence that the rug fell out for DeLaSalle the next year.

I'll take 03 DLS team vs Mater Dei. Best team I've seen after all the injuries. Loaded. Quote D1's from other era's that team was the best.

No coincidence that the rug fell out for DeLaSalle the next year.

Out of all the times I’ve watched Mater Dei (YouTube) that was the first time I seen their line allow pressure on him so kudos to dls they didn’t make it easy on him they just couldn’t cover #8. I’m still puzzled how dls center weighs 180lbs kid has some heart!!

Not a very friendly place....been here 1 day and already got blocked by one guy and put on
"final written ban warning" by a mod who was still upset about the DLS game

I could have sworn you used to visit from time to time over the years, at least going back to the '09 Servite-Rocklin game.

Reactions: sammyswordsman
What a pathetic crybaby

A few days ago it was “You’re not worth it.” Make up your mind zealot.

Understandably you are frustrated. However, the sophomoric vitriol spewed indignantly should be directed at your brotherhood cabal. Sparty perfected the open boundary advantage you NOW admit exists, add some “attracted” athletes, sprinkle some pedigree, become obsessed and now there are Bellevues, BG, Bosco and Mater Dei....

Swallow the pill, tough as it is. Simple enough English?

Reactions: observer22
A few days ago it was “You’re not worth it.” Make up your mind zealot.

Understandably you are frustrated. However, the sophomoric vitriol spewed indignantly should be directed at your brotherhood cabal. Sparty perfected the open boundary advantage you NOW admit exists, add some “attracted” athletes, sprinkle some pedigree, become obsessed and now there are Bellevues, BG, Bosco and Mater Dei....

Swallow the pill, tough as it is. Simple enough English?

It used to be when a team was beaten by a team with clearly superior athletes, the fans of the winning team would say the other team needed to work harder and get better coaching. It is strange now to hear about transfers being unfair and having to face one of the best teams ever, and nothing about coaching them up or working harder.

Reactions: 1315 and Bubba3000
Not a very friendly place....been here 1 day and already got blocked by one guy and put on
"final written ban warning" by a mod who was still upset about the DLS game
Careful Sammy, don't go getting yourself banned. I actually like your post. They are quite amusing lol.

While its true you clearly don't like the team the team you often refer to as the "Devil," I will say we probably disagree on how good Folsom really is and where they truly rank in the state, but I definitely don't believe it is number 3 in Ca. I like to deal in facts and what we do agree on is that Folsom doesn't have a signature win to justify the ranking given to them. With the talk of them trying to schedule up next year, maybe we can finally see that game.

I believe the 2010 team earned their ranking based on who their SoCal opponent was that year, but the 2014 and 2017 versions don't have that win to fall back on as proof. its actually a shame cause we will always be left wondering how good the 14 team really was.

It used to be when a team was beaten by a team with clearly superior athletes, the fans of the winning team would say the other team needed to work harder and get better coaching. It is strange now to hear about transfers being unfair and having to face one of the best teams ever, and nothing about coaching them up or working harder.

Show me where I said it was unfair. I have 100 posts complimentary of Mater Dei and have said in many that I believe they are the best hsfb team ever anywhere. Very easily documentable.

Don’t equate me to 1315 and yourself

Commenting that a team is awesome is not whining. Explaining why isn’t either. I’ve never denied DLS has advantages — they’re the same as Moreau Catholic and 1,000+ other schools and they are inherent by the very nature of being a private school. They are slight, and even indistinguishablemin some parts of the country, including Socal (see CC, MV and others loading up on transfers with the rest of thenprivates every year.

Teams like MD, IMG, SJB, BG, SJC are now gathering up 10+ top 250 players, previously unheard of, creating hsfb teams better than any single college team’s recruiting class, even Alabama. These teams have created a gap between themselves and even the rest of the top 25 teams in America

That’s commentary. To not discuss that would be derelict for a hsfb message board.

But haters gotta hate, so 1315 and you and carry on

I didn’t call out any individual posters. It was just a general observation. Doesn’t really matter how a certain team gets its players, just that having superior players suddenly does make a difference. Must have hit a nerve.

Reactions: Bubba3000
I didn’t call out any individual posters. It was just a general observation. Doesn’t really matter how a certain team gets its players, just that having superior players suddenly does make a difference. Must have hit a nerve.

Comparing MD to DLS didn’t hit a nerve — it was just an untruth that needed to be corrected

DLS has won 7 state championships in SBG era and have never come close to having the most talented team. Their 2010 state champ team was the smallest team in EBAL

DLS has won 7 state championships in SBG era and have never come close to having the most talented team. Their 2010 state champ team was the smallest team in EBAL

Now you’re swinging back and forth between being the most talented team in the state and size in a league.

Never seen that stat before. Didn’t that team have a state championship track relay squad on the football team? That shows more talent than having some overweight reserve on Livermore that makes them larger than Sparty.

How did you quantify the relative size of those teams? All players from what was listed on MaxPreps? Starters? By height? Weight? The eye test? Who was the 2nd smallest team? Who was the smallest team in NCS last season? Break out some obscure stat 7 years later and state it as fact.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT