ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Bowl Games Scoreboard

Palma 31 Hughson 21 Final
Frosh Dukes and Palma o-line dominated in second half. Dukes 1st year playing football.Nunes and Saldate and other Palma receivers played goodgame.HughsonQB is very talented player as are its WRs and RB.

Reactions: concrete17
Colusa was totally dominant against South San Francisco 42-6. Way to go Colusa!

Last edited:
Congrats to GHS as well.

Just my POV, but I saw one team that was emotionally charged during warmups and throughout the game while the other looked flat, disinterested at times, and quite possibly intimidated.

The Rocklin team I saw last night wasn’t the one I saw play 9x this season. Their energy and fight was lacking, their tackling was atrocious, and IMO the Pacers staff out-coached the RHS staff.

The game flipped with the pick 6. And once RHS was down 20-7 it seemed like whatever energy they had was gone. They looked defeated IMO, despite a ton of time still remaining.

Take nothing away from GHS, who played a great game. But many of their runs were initially stopped for short gains or even behind the LOS but the Thunders poor tackling and lack of rallying to the ball was their own doing. As were all the mental mistakes and penalties. I could be wrong, but Rocklin looked like a team intimidated by their opponent, especially once they got behind.

GHS was the more disciplined team. And their situational play calling on both sides of the ball was better.

The game was closer than the final score, as the final 2 TD’s were more the result of Rocklin being down 13 points late and needing to go for every 4th down in their own territory. That kinda snowball effect often happens when teams need to go into desperation mode offensively and it doesn’t work.

The pick 6 was a huge swing as it gave Grant Union the lead, which they then increased to a 2 score lead, and allowed them play with the lead and dictate pace with their run game. Had Rocklin been able to maintain their initial one score lead and make the Pacers sling it more when they didn’t necessary want to — things may have played out a bit differently.

But the Pacers imposed their will and pushed the lead to 20-7 then stalled any momentum the Thunder might have been able to get by thwarting their opening 2nd half possession.

Even when Rocklin managed to close the score to 20-14, it still felt like their chances were slim. The Pacers defense stopped the run all night and really did a phenomenal job in coverage. Even when Reeve Slone managed to buy extra time with his legs, his receivers just weren’t able to get much separation. And when they did, Slone just couldn’t get it to them.

There’s no doubt the Pacers were the better team last night. I sure wish they had teams like the one they fielded last night during their recent 4 year stay in the SFL. Seeing them and MT run roughshod over the Metro league isn’t good for anybody.

I’ve said it many times over the years, but HS football in the Sac area and SJS is always better when the Grant Union Pacers are among the top programs. They are undeniably the premier program in the area (historically) just surpassing 600 wins this season and with countless section titles, NFL players, and the only OPEN State title outside of the De La Salle Spartans.

While I was rooting for Rocklin last night, I’m happy to see Pacer Nation back on track. The past decade was tough to see. Just move them and MT over to the SFL, please.
Agree that Rocklin looked bad last night. Grant made them look bad, no team this year barring Folsom could say that.

It seemed like they were more intimidated then anything else. I could pick on specific positions but I digress. Having said that, I don't think they were flat, they came out deferred the kick, got the defensive stop and scored first if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure Rocklin learned a ton and will take it back to the lab for 2024.

I was able to attend the Folsom/Pitt game. Pitt is definitely better than I thought. They were able to match Folsom’s speed and their running back was a stud. Folsom had a couple costly turnovers which kept Pitt in the game but Lyons ultimately took over with his legs when Folsom needed it. I think Pitt can be a team to look out for with this new coach. They seem much more disciplined.

side note - I spotted Lincoln Riley on Folsom’s sidelines.

Agree that Rocklin looked bad last night. Grant made them look bad, no team this year barring Folsom could say that.

It seemed like they were more intimidated then anything else. I could pick on specific positions but I digress.

GHS surely helped make them look bad, but I still believe it was more on Rocklin. They didn’t match GHS‘s intensity for the entire game. They led early and even drew to within 20-14, but just never seemed to play with the energy and confidence that the Pacers did. Credit to the Grant coaches for having their kids ready to play and never allowing them to let up.

Seems we agree on the intimidation factor. I certainly don’t know what any of the players felt, of course, but that’s what it looked like from up in the stands. And having followed HS ball in this area since the 80’s, I know it’s not uncommon for the DPH kids with a competitive chip on their shoulder to get in the heads of their opponents. Especially when fielding a super talented team.

Having said that, I don't think they were flat, they came out deferred the kick, got the defensive stop and scored first if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure Rocklin learned a ton and will take it back to the lab for 2024.

When I said “flat” I wasn’t specifically referring to the beginning of the game. I meant overall, in totality.

Their energy level appeared flat most the game. Conversely I noticed the Pacers clearly amped up and excited during warm ups and that energy never waned all game.

I was able to attend the Folsom/Pitt game. Pitt is definitely better than I thought. They were able to match Folsom’s speed and their running back was a stud. Folsom had a couple costly turnovers which kept Pitt in the game but Lyons ultimately took over with his legs when Folsom needed it. I think Pitt can be a team to look out for with this new coach. They seem much more disciplined.

Folsom doesn’t have the athletes and speed at the skill positions as they’ve had in the past. Which is among the reasons they haven’t been near as dominant and have been beatable.

IMO their strength has been more on the lines and front 7. And of course their sophomore QB.

Ryder Lyons almost single-handedly saved them from a couple more losses this season. He was a difference maker tonight against Pitt, too.

Agree. PItt seems like an improved chapter on the previous greatness. Brutal they couldn’t score on what ended up a blocked FG and the PAT getting Muffed was difference. Otherwise I thought they were pretty much equal.
Like I said before lyons legs could be difference and they were. Kid is a beast and yeah he was offered by USC. Hey Lincoln you need d lineman !! You got the QB thing figured out. 😁

Agree. PItt seems like an improved chapter on the previous greatness. Brutal they couldn’t score on what ended up a blocked FG and the PAT getting Muffed was difference. Otherwise I thought they were pretty much equal.
Like I said before lyons legs could be difference and they were. Kid is a beast and yeah he was offered by USC. Hey Lincoln you need d lineman !! You got the QB thing figured out. 😁
Agree

Lyons was the only reason Folsom won. Those two teams were even everywhere except at QB. Lyons was far superior to Pitt's QB. That was the difference

Lyons was the only reason Folsom won. Those two teams were even everywhere except at QB. Lyons was far superior to Pitt's QB. That was the difference
Sounds like a good game. Good for Folsom, congrats. And Pitt sounds like they may be heading towards the next step?

Congrats to GHS as well.

Just my POV, but I saw one team that was emotionally charged during warmups and throughout the game while the other looked flat, disinterested at times, and quite possibly intimidated.

The Rocklin team I saw last night wasn’t the one I saw play 9x this season. Their energy and fight was lacking, their tackling was atrocious, and IMO the Pacers staff out-coached the RHS staff.

The game flipped with the pick 6. And once RHS was down 20-7 it seemed like whatever energy they had was gone. They looked defeated IMO, despite a ton of time still remaining.

Take nothing away from GHS, who played a great game. But many of their runs were initially stopped for short gains or even behind the LOS but the Thunders poor tackling and lack of rallying to the ball was their own doing. As were all the mental mistakes and penalties. I could be wrong, but Rocklin looked like a team intimidated by their opponent, especially once they got behind.

GHS was the more disciplined team. And their situational play calling on both sides of the ball was better.

The game was closer than the final score, as the final 2 TD’s were more the result of Rocklin being down 13 points late and needing to go for every 4th down in their own territory. That kinda snowball effect often happens when teams need to go into desperation mode offensively and it doesn’t work.

The pick 6 was a huge swing as it gave Grant Union the lead, which they then increased to a 2 score lead, and allowed them play with the lead and dictate pace with their run game. Had Rocklin been able to maintain their initial one score lead and make the Pacers sling it more when they didn’t necessary want to — things may have played out a bit differently.

But the Pacers imposed their will and pushed the lead to 20-7 then stalled any momentum the Thunder might have been able to get by thwarting their opening 2nd half possession.

Even when Rocklin managed to close the score to 20-14, it still felt like their chances were slim. The Pacers defense stopped the run all night and really did a phenomenal job in coverage. Even when Reeve Slone managed to buy extra time with his legs, his receivers just weren’t able to get much separation. And when they did, Slone just couldn’t get it to them.

There’s no doubt the Pacers were the better team last night. I sure wish they had teams like the one they fielded last night during their recent 4 year stay in the SFL. Seeing them and MT run roughshod over the Metro league isn’t good for anybody.

I’ve said it many times over the years, but HS football in the Sac area and SJS is always better when the Grant Union Pacers are among the top programs. They are undeniably the premier program in the area (historically) just surpassing 600 wins this season and with countless section titles, NFL players, and the only OPEN State title outside of the De La Salle Spartans.

While I was rooting for Rocklin last night, I’m happy to see Pacer Nation back on track. The past decade was tough to see. Just move them and MT over to the SFL, please.
The Pacer’s made a strong statement and I’m hoping they make another one in the State Bowl game this Friday. They’ll have their work cut out this week!

Rocklin had a great season. I hate that two SJS teams had to meet up in the regionals but am glad the Pacers took care of business.

SFL Re-Entry vs. Metro League Revitalization:

The SFL is already an excellent league that has received ample attention and consideration. I’d like to see the Metro league strengthened. I think a league with Grant, Inderkum, Monterey Trails, Sheldon, and Laguna Creek would be a competitive football and exceptional basketball league.

I’m a proponent for City League sports! Good football is being played in Sacramento and the SJS should place a higher premium on it.

The Pacers can always schedule SFL teams in the preseason and/or meet up with them in the playoffs.

(just my two cents)

Yeah, they did.

CN was undefeated. DLS had 2 losses, both by 21+ points and including a 28-0 non-competitive shut out.

Furthermore CN defeated JSerra by 16 who defeated OLu by 10 who defeated DLS by 21.

The above is a textbook “excellent” argument and certainly earned on the field.

I know you love to defend the CIF and their asinine guidelines/decision making which are purposely designed to allow them freedom to make arbitrary and subjective decisions that rarely make any sense.

Your last paragraph is precisely what everyone finds so utterly ridiculous and laughable. Because it completely defies everything prior to it, not to mention every other reputable playoff system known to sports fans. Arbitrarily “distributing” the home locations is not how things should ever be done. Worse, they’ve never clearly outlined their methodology or that they even do that hence the widespread confusion.

You are 100% right about one thing, though. None of this is new. The CIF being a complete and utter embarrassment and mess, that is.

The above said, DLS clearly was the vastly superior team last night but that doesn’t take away what had transpired up to the kickoff of that game. Even several DLS supporters admitted they were greatly surprised the game wasn’t being hosted by CN. Because most rightfully expect these games to be hosted by the more deserving team based upon record, SOS, common opponents, etc. But CA and CIF don’t roll that way.
So clovis north got Florida stated.

Reactions: concrete17
Which is a complete joke.
Agree

the funny thing is that for years we’ve all envisioned the Moment when the selection committee was left with an impossible decision. In the past years, something always happened during Championship Weekend which gave the committee an “easy out”. Well this year, that didn’t happen.

heres a question that will never get answered. had Georgia beat Bama and finished 13-0, would the committee have still left out FSU, or would Texas have been left on the sideline? I’m thinking the committee selects all four undefeated teams leaving the Longhorns out.

Agree

the funny thing is that for years we’ve all envisioned the Moment when the selection committee was left with an impossible decision. In the past years, something always happened during Championship Weekend which gave the committee an “easy out”. Well this year, that didn’t happen.

heres a question that will never get answered. had Georgia beat Bama and finished 13-0, would the committee have still left out FSU, or would Texas have been left on the sideline? I’m thinking the committee selects all four undefeated teams leaving the Longhorns out.
I think Texas still gets in with that scenerio. FSU got left off cuz of the qb injury. Oddly they ranked FSU above Georgia and aint no way that is true either.
also the committee didnt really care since this is the last season of only 4 teams. they knew it wont be a problem again

Agree

Or what if Deion’s Colorado Buffaloes were the 3rd undefeated team instead of FSU? Even given the same circumstance of the QB possibly being out (in this hypothetical, Shadeur is the question mark) — does Bama still get in over Deion’s team?

I highly doubt it.

To me, the selection process was very easy to get right. ALL three undefeated power 5 conference winners should be in. With the fourth and final spot being between Georgia, Alabama, and Texas — all ONE loss teams. And the separators between them is also easy.

Bama and Texas are conference champs, while Georgia is not. Furthermore, Bama beat Georgia. So Georgia is out.

Next, Texas beat Bama. The fact that the game was played in week 2 does not matter according to the CFP criteria. So Bama is out and Texas gets the last spot.

It really ain’t that hard.

The mainstream pundits seem to want to point to Bama beating “their #1 team” who had won 29-consecutive games. Well, Texas beat the team that beat “their #1 team” who had won 29-consecutive games. So there’s that too, but I digress.

In the end, had the committee done the right thing, their response to Georgia and Bama not getting in would have been far easier to justify:

”Georgia, had you beaten Alabama and won your conference, you’d be in”
“Alabama, had you beaten Texas, you’d be in over them”

But what can they say to undefeated FSU besides “sorry”? There’s nothing to point to that FSU could have done better (or avoided), except that they aren’t part of Disney’s SEC network.

FSU even scheduled a couple SEC teams for their non-conference and beat those teams.

If it were an undefeated G5 program that didn’t challenge themselves in non-conference — the committees decision to opt for the 1-loss SEC champ would make some sense.

Of course all this controversy could have been avoided had the powers that be not stalled around implementing their 12-team playoff system.

Last edited:
Of course all this controversy could have been avoided had the powers that be not stalled around implementing their 12-team playoff system.
Perhaps ironically - the "powers that be" actually were the ACC and Pac 12 commissioners (along with the Big Ten), who voted AGAINST a proposal early last season that would've seen the 12-team playoff start sooner - THIS YEAR!

So the ACC reaps what it sows, and the Pac 12 won't even be around next season.

(SMH - How'd that work out for y'all??)

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT