Regional Bowl Games Announced

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
At link below:
http://www.cifstate.org/sports/football/2018_norcal_fb

OPEN DIVISION
De La Salle vs. Mater Dei at Cerritos College – Saturday, Dec. 8 at 8:00 p.m.

DIVISION 1–AA
Folsom at Central, Fresno – Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 1–A
Liberty, Brentwood at Valley Christian – Saturday, Dec. 8 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 2–AA
St. Francis, Mountain View at Del Oro – Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 2–A
San Joaquin Memorial at Tulare Union – Saturday, Dec. 8 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 3–AA
Menlo Atherton at Eureka – Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 3–A
Capital Christian at Wilcox – Saturday, Dec. 8 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–AA
North: Pleasant Valley – Bye
State: Central Valley Christian at Pleasant Valley – Saturday, Dec. 15 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–A
McClymonds at Aptos – Saturday, Dec. 8 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 5–AA
Rio Linda at West Valley – Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 5–A
North: Colfax – Bye
State: San Diego at Colfax – Saturday, Dec. 15 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 6–AA
East Nicolaus vs. Hilmar at Atwater HS – Friday, Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

DIVISION 6–A
North: Lincoln, San Francisco – Bye
State: Orange Glen vs. Lincoln, San Francisco at Washington HS, San Francisco – Sat., Dec. 15 at 12:00 p.m.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how DLS gets automatic bid to play the SoCal team? Not saying there underserving but shouldnt they have to play another NorCal team first? Why are they selected instead of CCS/ SJS/ etc Champ? Bc of state rank?

Can anyone tell me how DLS gets automatic bid to play the SoCal team? Not saying there underserving but shouldnt they have to play another NorCal team first? Why are they selected instead of CCS/ SJS/ etc Champ? Bc of state rank?
Open Bowl never has a Regional Bowl. Used to, but not for the last few year. Mater Dei does not have a regional game as well.

Last edited:
Why isn’t Lincoln playing a NorCal game??

This is a travesty. It again highlights the absurdity of allowing the AAA (and the OAL as well) to remain separate CIF sections. At least Mack is playing a NorCal regional final vs. Aptos. The Lincoln situation is a joke.

Reactions: bella123
Crikey, Talk about from the frying pan into the fire. How did VC end up in D-1? I was thinking M/A would be in that game.

Crikey, Talk about from the frying pan into the fire. How did VC end up in D-1? I was thinking M/A would be in that game.
You had to of known this would be how it played out! As it turned out, VC had to claim a RGB spot by their own merit instead of someone else, by their misfortune, handing a spot to VC. That meant going though SF and SF was was ranked fairly high. VC will be alright playing Liberty as long as they can put pressure on Butterfield and bring their A+++ aerial defense.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Open Bowl never has a Regional Bowl. Used to, but not for the last few year. Mater Dei does not have a regional game as well.

And who exactly should Mater Demi play? They already beat all the top teams in Socal there isn’t really anybody to play, Unlike NorCal.

In the latest Maxpreps state polls, Folsom rated #5 and Central Fresno rated #10.

So why does central get to host Folsom next Friday?

Reactions: eaglepuss

It’s not automatically DLS, but almost. They already beat Folsom this year and are clearly the top rated NorCal team. Only the Open teams don’t have to play their way in through a regional Oh, and I guess Lincoln.

FOOTBALL

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA REGIONAL BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Division 1-AA: Folsom (12-1) at Fresno Central (13-0)

Division 2-AA: Mountain View St. Francis (11-2) at Loomis Del Oro (12-1)

Division 3-AA: Atherton Menlo-Atherton (11-2) at Eureka (12-0)

Division 5-AA: Rio Linda (11-2) at Cottonwood West Valley (12-1)

Division 6-AA: Nicolaus East Nicolaus (13-0) vs. Hilmar (11-2) at Atwater

Saturday, 6 p.m.

Division 1-A: Brentwood Liberty (11-1) at San Jose Valley Christian (11-2)

Division 2-A: Fresno San Joaquin Memorial (13-0) at Tulare Union (13-0)

Division 3-A: Sacramento Capital Christian (13-0) at Santa Clara Wilcox (12-1)

Division 4-A: Oakland McClymonds (10-2) at Aptos (11-2)

STATE BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS

at Cerritos College

Saturday

Open Division: Mater Dei (12-2) vs. Concord De La Salle (12-0), 8 p.m.

Friday, Dec. 14

Division 2-AA: Grace Brethren (13-2) vs. Del Oro/St. Francis winner, 4 p.m.

Division 1-AA: San Diego Cathedral (12-1) vs. Central/Folsom winner, 8 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 15

Division 2-A: Lawndale (13-2) vs. Tulare/San Joaquin Memorial winner, 4 p.m.

Division 1-A: Sierra Canyon (12-3)vs. Valley Christian/Liberty winner, 8 p.m.

= = =

At home sites (North teams will host most games; sites will be officially announced next weekend)

Saturday, Dec. 15

Division 3-AA: San Diego Lincoln (11-4) vs. Eureka/Menlo-Atherton winner, 6 p.m.

Division 3-A: Kaiser (14-1) vs. Wilcox/Capital Christian winner, 6 p.m.

Division 4-AA: Visalia Central Valley Christian (12-2) at Chico Pleasant Valley (9-3), 6 p.m.

Division 4-A: Garfield (13-1) vs. Aptos/McClymonds winner, 6 p.m.

Division 5-AA: San Gorgonio (12-3) vs. West Valley/Rio Linda winner, 6 p.m.

Division 5-A: San Diego (12-1) at Colfax (13-0), 6 p.m.

Division 6-AA: Strathmore (13-1) vs. Hilmar/East Nicolaus winner, 6 p.m.

Division 6-A: Escondido Orange Glen (9-3) vs. San Francisco Lincoln (12-0) at San Francisco Washington, noon

Wtf. The bowl games are always played together, at least the top 5 games with the open championship being the final game of the year? So the top game will be played sat with some of the other ones being played the following weekend.did I see that right? That sucks but thank god for Southwest free cancellation policy. I always watch the bowl games since 08. Im not going all they way to la to suppport one NorCal team! Not having all the top games in one location to see is very disappointing. Why are they not having the open game with the rest on the 14/15th

Wtf. The bowl games are always played together, at least the top 5 games with the open championship being the final game of the year? So the top game will be played sat with some of the other ones being played the following weekend.did I see that right? That sucks but thank god for Southwest free cancellation policy. I always watch the bowl games since 08. Im not going all they way to la to suppport one NorCal team! Not having all the top games in one location to see is very disappointing. Why are they not having the open game with the rest on the 14/15th
Not by design, but the Camp Fire had other ideas and the CIF didn't want Mater Dei to wait 3 weeks.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
St Francis v DeOro will be a fun matchup to see, as will VC v Liberty, and Aptos v McClymonds in the regionals. Folsom and Central also could be a high scoring game. I think Folsom defense will be the difference.

Open bowl Sat and the rest next weekend? Why would CIF do this? Or is it SoCal pulling something yet again?
Again, the Camp Fire put the north back a week. They kept the open game the same because they could and they didn't want Mater Dei sitting for 3 weeks.

This is a travesty. It again highlights the absurdity of allowing the AAA (and the OAL as well) to remain separate CIF sections. At least Mack is playing a NorCal regional final vs. Aptos. The Lincoln situation is a joke.

The Lincoln resume is a farce: The non-league schedule featured four after-thoughts (Capuchino, Mt. Eden, Piedmont and El Camino of SSF). Their combined record was 17-29. Cap and EC are Lake (C) Division teams from the PAL. And, of course, the AAA itself is little more than a glorified Lake Division arrangement which calls itself a separate CIF section.

Reactions: SearsPoints
@EN_FB_Alum @ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
Found this in my coat pocket today. Miss those day before Thanksgiving games at EN.
I would like to see the Championship games moved to Sat now, the same as D2 & D3. With the winner advancing to a NorCal Regional Bowl game, it makes no sense to have the game on Wed. I liked it before when there wasn't anymore games to be played to be finished before Thanksgiving, but it makes no sense now.

I’m confused that Colfax plays San Diego High School for DV State Championship, a school of 3000 students. Why can’t there actually be a small school state championship? Interesting fact, there is only one other school besides Colfax in the state 100 rankings that is under 1000 enrollment and its Hilmar. Colfax is ranked 81 and Hilmar is ranked 98. Next small school is East Nicolas at 128. The four highest ranked small schools in the state are #81 Colfax (583), #98 Hilmar (673), # 128 East Nicolas (311) and # 148 Bear River ( 611). To me, if you truly want a small school state champion, match Colfax up against Hilmar/East Nic winner. SoCal has no small school that could compete with any of these schools.

All State Bowl games are matched up based upon Competitive Equity between Section Winners. It seems that most Sections are doing away with enrollment based divisions, so there wont be many small school powers anymore.

I should have restated that because I do recognize the competitive equity but don’t agree that a school of 583 should match up with a school of 3000 no matter how it looks on paper. I also would like to see a small school state winner because I believe Colfax can compete with any school relative the their size. Just like I think East Nic, BR or Hilmar could.

I would like to see the Championship games moved to Sat now, the same as D2 & D3. With the winner advancing to a NorCal Regional Bowl game, it makes no sense to have the game on Wed. I liked it before when there wasn't anymore games to be played to be finished before Thanksgiving, but it makes no sense now.
Since all the games are on Friday/Saturday and Del Oro is usually playing on one of those nights the Wednesday game gave me the opportunity to attend more games and I really enjoy watching/supporting small school football programs.

I understand you point however for Friday/Saturday game. Just dont know next opportunity I’ll get to watch EN and the EN/Durham grudge matches.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
I’m confused that Colfax plays San Diego High School for DV State Championship, a school of 3000 students. Why can’t there actually be a small school state championship? Interesting fact, there is only one other school besides Colfax in the state 100 rankings that is under 1000 enrollment and its Hilmar. Colfax is ranked 81 and Hilmar is ranked 98. Next small school is East Nicolas at 128. The four highest ranked small schools in the state are #81 Colfax (583), #98 Hilmar (673), # 128 East Nicolas (311) and # 148 Bear River ( 611). To me, if you truly want a small school state champion, match Colfax up against Hilmar/East Nic winner. SoCal has no small school that could compete with any of these schools.
McClymonds would fit in this small division with less than 400.

People on here seem to have very bad memories. Always complaining about too many divisions, while clamoring for a statewide playoff system like Texas... which has a similar number of divisions as California.

Also, for those who are asking to go back to 5 divisions, do you not recall how many blowouts we used to have with the old system? Almost all of the games now are competitive.

You are all okay with a BCS-type selection, but complain about the NCS coin flips? "Play it all out! Except... don't!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT