ADVERTISEMENT

There's a movement brewing to get Folsom removed from the SFL

Uh NO. That's not what I was saying at all.
Folsom wins:

2013- Rocklin: 70-20... by 50 pts
Woodcreek 56-22 by 35 pts
GB.. 30-14 by 14 pts
Roseville. 56-23 by 33 pts
Oak ridge. 35-0
Jesuit. 56-14 by 42 pts
Lincoln. 50-14 by 34 pts

2014. CC. 55-10 by 45 pts
Clovis N. 40-13 by 47 pts
PG. 56-6. by. 50 pts
Burbank. 61-13 by 48 pts
GB. 63-0
DO. 42-7 by 35 pts
NU. 63-6. by. 63 pts
Rocklin. 56-21. by 35 pts
Oak ridge. 42-7. by 35 pts

2015. GB. 27-14 by 13 pts (not bad)
Do. 31-0
NU. 56-7. by 49 pts
Rocklin. 47-14 by. 33 pts
Oak ridge. 35-21 ( not bad)
Woodcreek. 48-10 by 38 pts

2016. Woodcreek. 42-21 by 22 pts
GB. 42-0
DO. 42-7. by 35 pts
NU. 54-7. by 47 pts
Rocklin. 47-14 by 33 pts
Oak ridge. 17-16 ( got a real game)

2017. Woodcreek. 55-14 by 41 pts
GB. 35-14 by 21 pts
DO. 54-10 by 44 pts
NU. 42-0
Rocklin. 46-3. by 43 pts
Oak ridge. 42-28 ( not bad)

2018 Oakridge. 62-6 by 56 pts
Rocklin. 48-0
Whitney. 63-7 by 56 pts

Folsom has not had a down year in the last 6 seasons. And I don' t see a down year coming ever. They will continue to have the ALL STAR kids move to the area just to play for them. Like I said, they are the public DLS. With looking at their record in the last 6 seasons, I can't see how they get gratification out of this. Give yourself some competition, PLEASE.
6 years is a SMALL sample size in the big scheme of things. You don't kick anyone out of league because of a 5-7 year run of domination.

Do we kick the Golden State Warriors out of the NBA next? The Patriots out of the NFL? The Yankees or Red Sox out of MLB? To satisfy the fans of losing teams? Ridiculous. Sack up and compete! This is 2018!

6 years is a SMALL sample size in the big scheme of things. You don't kick anyone out of league because of a 5-7 year run of domination.

Do we kick the Golden State Warriors out of the NBA next? The Patriots out of the NFL? The Yankees or Red Sox out of MLB? To satisfy the fans of losing teams? Ridiculous. Sack up and compete! This is 2018!

With the exception of only a couple of games in the last 9 years where they lost or were close games, these scores are pretty much the same going back to 2009. Forget about kicking them out, if I were the Coach at Folsom I would be bored by now and want to go independent. YAWN, BORED.

Very long post, let me summarize to see if I got it:
1. Folsom has to agree to go independent, so it does not really matter what the other schools want.
2. GB, Rocklin and OR coaches went semi-public by putting a proposal forward in a league meeting to have Folsom go independent. (versus having an off-line discussion with the Folsom coach)
3. Open enrollment is a school district policy that each school district sets for themselves. There is a mix of policies within the SFL.
4. The complaining coaches are being called out for their public complaining (both the proposal and the quotes in the Sac Bee). These complaining coaches should be cut slack for their complaining because they have had some wins (not against Folsom, but other schools).
5. These complaining coaches are as good as the Folsom coaches, or at least they work as hard.
6. OR wants to keep playing Folsom as a local rivalry, just not as part of the SFL.
7. Every kid who has ever played at OR has exclusively lived in EDH.
8. You coach at OR.

I will say that I deeply respect your acknowledgement that you coach for OR. I will also say that your acknowledgement does not qualify you for a moral high ground. It is not fair for you to dismiss others who do not similarly expose themselves.

I hope that you see that this is really rather silly. We could just start and stop at point #1. Everything else is moot since the Folsom principal has stated that it will not happen.

But the complaining coaches chose to go public. It was their choice to make the accusations that they did. From what I read: a) Folsom is too good, b) Folsom gets transfers, c) Folsom has kids move into Folsom to play for the school, d) Folsom has open enrollment, e) it is a safety issue, f) the league title is not available to anyone but Folsom. I think we have walked thru each of these complaints. None hold water.

I will also say that point #5 above may be part of the problem. First, hard work is a given and saying they 'work equally as hard' is irrelevant. If you just look at the consistency of results, it would stand to reason that MAYBE the Folsom coaches are better? If you cannot acknowledge this possibility, then only the players are the difference? It seems that is where these coaches landed.

So they attack the transfers, the open enrollment,etc. But since they do not control Folsom, their attendance, nor their league affiliation, my suggestion would be to start with the premise that they are NOT as good as the Folsom coaches. Focus their energy on self-improvement and by extension, the program improvement. All would be better off.

The public complaints are not a good look for these coaches, nor their programs. Sending the message to their kids that playing Folsom is a safety issue, or that the kids cannot compete is not fair to the kids and the fans. If the coaches really believed it is about more than the trophy, then they should have started this conversation in private with the Folsom coaches and admin. Or better yet, petitioned to drop down to a different league. The SFL is supposed to be the best in section.
I respect your response. It appears the reaction from the public following the board meeting discussion has taken over the energy of this matter, rather than the contents of which the SFL constitutes were discussing with each other. Each representative appeared to have their own reason for the discussion (with their own collection of data). Having six head coaches take Folsom coach to the side and discuss it is not the appropriate way to go about it, especially since the Folsom coaches are not doing anything wrong. They are not breaking any rules. This is NOT a Folsom coaching staff issue! With regards to your #5 comment, I appreciate what the Folsom staff brings to the table, they are excellent coaches. The point I was making about the other SFL staffs, still stands. They have a proven track record of success within the SJS and if there is a collective opinion within the SFL, it should be respectfully heard and resolved if necessary. They have the right, and I believe they have earned to have their voices heard with complete openness and appreciation.

I don’t take the moral high ground. I don’t know everyone’s business or care to, but I do know OR’a business. I gave a person an option to continue a discussion, just not on a website. It is fair to ask what role/position someone is in to understand if it even makes sense to continue the discussion. I was sincere with my offer to discuss further. If the person doesn’t want to continue then I’m okay with it. No one is going to lose sleep over it.

Having six head coaches take Folsom coach to the side and discuss it is not the appropriate way to go about it, especially since the Folsom coaches are not doing anything wrong. They are not breaking any rules. This is NOT a Folsom coaching staff issue!

I disagree. This issue could have been discussed in private and quickly put to bed. All anyone needed to do was to talk to the Folsom HC and/or principal. If they quickly checked, they would have known that Folsom needed to approve the change. Folsom's approval was needed, so they should have known this proposal was DOA, and then there was no need to go any further. Instead they went public.

While this is not a Folsom coaching staff issue, it is a Folsom football issue as they are the only team being asked to go independent. The Folsom HC would of course be involved in the discussion.

And I would also say that this is not six teams. It is OR, GB and Rocklin. It does not seem DO and Grant are requesting Folsom's removal. I didn't read anything about Whitney either way.

It is fair to ask what role/position someone is in to understand if it even makes sense to continue the discussion. I was sincere with my offer to discuss further. If the person doesn’t want to continue then I’m okay with it. No one is going to lose sleep over it.

I understand that you are sincere, but I would suggest that this is not the forum for sincere discussion. This is more about anonymous hot takes.

Reactions: cookie530
I disagree. This issue could have been discussed in private and quickly put to bed. All anyone needed to do was to talk to the Folsom HC and/or principal. If they quickly checked, they would have known that Folsom needed to approve the change. Folsom's approval was needed, so they should have known this proposal was DOA, and then there was no need to go any further. Instead they went public.

While this is not a Folsom coaching staff issue, it is a Folsom football issue as they are the only team being asked to go independent. The Folsom HC would of course be involved in the discussion.

And I would also say that this is not six teams. It is OR, GB and Rocklin. It does not seem DO and Grant are requesting Folsom's removal. I didn't read anything about Whitney either way.

I understand that you are sincere, but I would suggest that this is not the forum for sincere discussion. This is more about anonymous hot takes.
I think this was discussed privately (SFL meeting). The newspapers were not present. Folsom went public with it, and Sacbee did a story and here we are today. Yes, I believe it was the three teams that had played Folsom at that point in the season, the other three had not, either way all needed to be present. Regarding this forum and your suggested “sincere vs hot takes” discussions, point taken, that is why I suggested to take it offline and discuss. There was no reason to continue it on this forum.

Last edited:
Folsom is good...we get it. I feel everything got blown out of place when the Bee picked it up.

is it fair that there is some concern within the SFL about competitive balance? Or course there is. Each school is entitled to their opinion, and belief on what is best for their school. MCIC’s views are valid whether one agrees with them or not. I would say that I question why OR would want Folsom out of the SFL, but still tell everyone they want to play Folsom each year. Um....why? I’m confused. If it’s truly because of ‘competitive imbalance’ and potential ‘player safety’, seems they’d want to avoid playing them.

With that said, for Cookie, and others, to insist Folsom (and others with Open Enrollment) don’t have at least some competitive advantage is nonsense. Of course they do. That’s not Folsom’s (or Del Oro’s) fault, it’s just a reality of a small advantage their school district offers. I can’t speak to the claims that ‘every player on Folsom lives in Folsom’. (Elijah Badger is a name that comes to mind off the top. He a longtime Jr Bulldog?) but whether that’s true or not, does it matter? In this day and age, where kids can easily connect with one another before high school via social media and camps, where high school games are shown on TV or streamed nationally, where websites (like this one) are se up for us to discuss these schools and atheletes, and where players get to announce their college choices live on ESPN; should we really be surprised by Kids finding a way to end up at a school that’s not the closest to their house? And if it’s not Folsom, it’ll be someone else. the High School sports landscape is changing, whether for better or for worse....that’s to each person’s own opinion. And it’s not just football. Many of the regions best soccer players dont play for their high school teams anymore, only their club teams. Thy are forced to chose. We are starting to see that in other sports too. There are tennis academies in town now, the best players don’t even attend local high school. We’ve got high school girls volleyball players committing to colleges (verbally) before they turn 16. Hell, how many schools have dropped fresh and JV sports? Pick a sport.....the landscape is changing around us. The good ole days where schools from the same district made up a league are gone. Built in advantages have long been part of high school sports. Whether those be economic, administrative, or other, they’ve always existed. And honestly, it brought excitement whenever a David was able to beat Goliath. Do the advantages look different now? Of course. But it’s just a bigger Goliath for David to try to slay. And isnt the idea to send ‘our’ Goliath (Folsom) to try to slay bigger Goliaths (So Cal schools with bigger advantages and also different sets of rules) kind of the same thing that some of these SFL schools are complaining about in the first place? It’s never going to be a perfectly even play field...although I’m not sure it ever was.

Last edited:
Folsom is good...we get it. I feel everything got blown out of place when the Bee picked it up.

is it fair that there is some concern within the SFL about competitive balance? Or course there is. Each school is entitled to their opinion, and belief on what is best for their school. MCIC’s views are valid whether one agrees with them or not. I would say that I question why OR would want Folsom out of the SFL, but still tell everyone they want to play Folsom each year. Um....why? I’m confused. If it’s truly because of ‘competitive imbalance’ and potential ‘player safety’, seems they’d want to avoid playing them.

With that said, for Cookie, and others, to insist Folsom (and others with Open Enrollment) don’t have at least some competitive advantage is nonsense. Of course they do. That’s not Folsom’s (or Del Oro’s) fault, it’s just a reality of a small advantage their school district offers. I can’t speak to the claims that ‘every player on Folsom lives in Folsom’. (Elijah Badger is a name that comes to mind off the top. He a longtime Jr Bulldog?) but whether that’s true or not, does it matter? In this day and age, where kids can easily connect with one another before high school via social media and camps, where high school games are shown on TV or streamed nationally, where websites (like this one) are se up for us to discuss these schools and atheletes, and where players get to announce their college choices live on ESPN; should we really be surprised by Kids finding a way to end up at a school that’s not the closest to their house? And if it’s not Folsom, it’ll be someone else. the High School sports landscape is changing, whether for better or for worse....that’s to each person’s own opinion. And it’s not just football. Many of the regions best soccer players dont play for their high school teams anymore, only their club teams. Thy are forced to chose. We are starting to see that in other sports too. There are tennis academies in town now, the best players don’t even attend local high school. We’ve got high school girls volleyball players committing to colleges (verbally) before they turn 16. Hell, how many schools have dropped fresh and JV sports? Pick a sport.....the landscape is changing around us. The good ole days where schools from the same district made up a league are gone. Built in advantages have long been part of high school sports. Whether those be economic, administrative, or other, they’ve always existed. And honestly, it brought excitement whenever a David was able to beat Goliath. Do the advantages look different now? Of course. But it’s just a bigger Goliath for David to try to slay. And isnt the idea to send ‘our’ Goliath (Folsom) to try to slay bigger Goliaths (So Cal schools with bigger advantages and also different sets of rules) kind of the same thing that some of these SFL schools are complaining about in the first place? It’s never going to be a perfectly even play field...although I’m not sure it ever was.
Well said and thanks for the honest critique and openness on the subject.

Reactions: awood1
And for the record. I have nothing against Folsom, personally. But when you already know in advance that the 1st string is going to be taken out at the end of the half or 3rd qtr and people are already leaving because it a BLOW out, I just don't see the fun in any game when that happens.

And for the record. I have nothing against Folsom, personally. But when you already know in advance that the 1st string is going to be taken out at the end of the half or 3rd qtr and people are already leaving because it a BLOW out, I just don't see the fun in any game when that happens.

So would the taxpayers in Folsom be consulted before their public high school would be kicked out of the league and forced to have increased travel costs? It’s one thing for a public school to schedule some out of section games, it’s entirely another for them to fill 10 slots each year without the help of guaranteed local league games.

They can’t be “kicked out”. Why even use that term when it’s factually impossible. The only way Folsom goes independent is if they want to.

This thread is getting old, I’m more interested in the Fact that SLV staff were spotted in a blimp taking still shots during last weeks game.

.....and perhaps that explains why there was no practice today: could that same blimp be the one sighted drifting aimlessly west of the Hawaiian Islands.....last weekend was pretty windy.

I have a very friendly restaurant/bar to do this. In fact, if anyone else on this board would like to do the same...I’m in!...in fact I think I would encourage at the very least a third party to join us.

I’m not sure how to contact people on this board privately, but I would be happy to do so to make it happen.

IDK how some of these posts got by me .... but this one surely did! I'd certainly take you up on the offer to share a couple of beers and talk football. What's better than that? ;)

Another thought I had on this today regarding Rocklin. While I can understand how the Rocklin staff would be upset over some of the things that occurred during their game with Folsom, this is the same program that voluntarily scheduled Liberty-Brentwood this season -- who might just prove to be at a similar level as Folsom once the season plays out. I'm sure they had a pretty good idea that Liberty would be very good when they scheduled the game. IMO, it's a bit disingenuous to schedule like that then complain that another team in your league is too good to be there. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's how it comes across to me. Same thing with Granite Bay, who has scheduled PAC-5 and DLS in recent years.

Reactions: feedback1
Another thought I had on this today regarding Rocklin. While I can understand how the Rocklin staff would be upset over some of the things that occurred during their game with Folsom, this is the same program that voluntarily scheduled Liberty-Brentwood this season -- who might just prove to be at a similar level as Folsom once the season plays out. I'm sure they had a pretty good idea that Liberty would be very good when they scheduled the game. IMO, it's a bit disingenuous to schedule like that then complain that another team in your league is too good to be there. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's how it comes across to me. Same thing with Granite Bay, who has scheduled PAC-5 and DLS in recent years.
Got to be more to this than what we know. Still can’t wrap my head around it and apparently how/why Richardson got bushwhacked by it. Guess it’s time for me to just SMH and move on and wish all SFL teams good will.

As is often discussed, the Folsom program is built on a solid foundation that begins at the youth levels. This is the announcement for Saturday's youth football championships of the Sierra Athletic Conference comprised of Folsom, Del Oro, Granite Bay, Lincoln, Oak Ridge, Rocklin, Roseville and Whitney. Of the championship match-ups, Folsom is represented at all 5 levels, DO 2, Rocklin 2 and OR 1. Like most things, it's not a sure sign but it is an indicator.

44989857_10215191835201865_3416986701212418048_n.jpg

As is often discussed, the Folsom program is built on a solid foundation that begins at the youth levels. This is the announcement for Saturday's youth football championships of the Sierra Athletic Conference comprised of Folsom, Del Oro, Granite Bay, Lincoln, Oak Ridge, Rocklin, Roseville and Whitney. Of the championship match-ups, Folsom is represented at all 5 levels, DO 2, Rocklin 2 and OR 1. Like most things, it's not a sure sign but it is an indicator.

44989857_10215191835201865_3416986701212418048_n.jpg

No no no...Those teams are all made up of Reno transfers....They multiply HC on each staff and are beating the other teams by too much. We must outlaw the junior bulldogs from competing. They're a physical danger to all the other kids their own age and weight. Lets take a vote...If favor of removing Folsom so we don't have to compete with them say I

We clearly have a problem here. BAN THE JR BULLDOGS from the SAC!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT