ADVERTISEMENT

VC vs. SI

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
VC rolling over SI, 21-0, in second period on the Warriors' hilltop facility in San Jose tonight. SI already touting next week's game vs. SHC on Twitter. Strange. Early surrender?

Last edited:
Maybe what we're seeing is the logical result of years of WCAL football frustration on the part of the three San Francisco schools. They appear to be reduced to focusing on one another in a sort of City mini-playoff, leaving the five southern schools to battle for the championship. That may be simplistic but it sure does appear that way. The league's imbalance continues. And, folks, it's not healthy.

VC's three and half plays on offense is good enough to get the job done tonight. But it won't work against SF or Serra or possibly even Mitty. VC's run defense is pretty good but I'm not sure how they will handle the dual threat of Serra or Mitty.

That being said, VC is doing far better than I expected after their painful game with Wilcox!

Last edited:
Reactions: Defense_Rules
VC's three and half plays on offense is good enough to get the job done tonight. But it won't work against SF or Serra or possibly even Mitty. VC's run defense is pretty good but I'm not sure how they will handle the dual threat of Serra or Mitty.

That being said, VC is doing far better than I expected after their painful game with Wilcox!

Wilcox. A game VC could have tied or won. And Wilcox is quite strong.

Glad you are sticking up for VC. I've been a little sour on them for the last 11-12 years - my team, if I have such a thing, but often disappointed on their lackluster offense that fails when needed the most.

Maybe what we're seeing is the logical result of years of WCAL football frustration on the part of the three San Francisco schools. They appear to be reduced to focusing on one another in a sort of City mini-playoff, leaving the five southern schools to battle for the championship. That may be simplistic but it sure does appear that way. The league's imbalance continues. And, folks, it's not healthy.

If we made a SI/SH/Riordan just football squad, we can compete vs the southern schools. Call them Team 415.

Reactions: remc and FBAddict
Glad you are sticking up for VC. I've been a little sour on them for the last 11-12 years - my team, if I have such a thing, but often disappointed on their lackluster offense that fails when needed the most.

Six VC league titles or title ties since it joined the WCAL in 2002 are not chopped liver. Those represent just under 40 percent of the available crowns during that period.

Last edited:
Really did not see VC winning 41-0 over a pretty good S.I. squad. SF particularly with the change in QB's does not appear to possess a potent offense - winning over SHC by 14-0. So VC in back to back week blow-outs of SHC & S.I., do Warrior's have what it takes to keep up with the Serra Padre scoring machine?

Really did not see VC winning 41-0 over a pretty good S.I. squad. SF particularly with the change in QB's does not appear to possess a potent offense - winning over SHC by 14-0. So VC in back to back week blow-outs of SHC & S.I., do Warrior's have what it takes to keep up with the Serra Padre scoring machine?

It's unclear. But SF vs. VC this week should be a grinder-and-a-half.

I found an old VC tee shirt from, I think, the beginning of the 2003 season that said on its back "The time will come when the winter asks what you were doing all summer." It highlighted the 2002 championship game where VC beat the Bells 19-7.
That slogan was the flavor of VC's practice back in those days and it showed the first game of the year. VC has lost their first game 4 of the last 7 seasons. Before that VC lost their first game 1 of 12 seasons. 2000 is when I started keeping record. Others might have records before 2000 and we can see when their work ethic started. No doubt it started when Machato began at VC in 1997.

Again, the arrival of Patrick Walsh at Serra in 2001 and the debut of VC a year later changed WCAL football, breaking the Bellarmine/St. Francis title stronglehold which had persisted for decades. The league hasn't been the same since.

Reactions: rabbit5
Research indicates that, since VC joined the WCAL in 2002, the Warriors have had just two losing league records in 16 seasons, not counting 2018. Not too shabby.

• VC is at its best when they have a QB that can pass or run. Thinking back to what I consider their best teams they had Jurovich/Mariucci sharing QB duties, then Mariucci, and then Perez. The last really good QB was Macintyre and unfortunately he left prior to his senior year to follow his dad to Colorado. If he had stayed VC would have had a great team that year. VC's run game is dependent on having a credible passing game to keep the defenses honest. Right now they are too one dimensional. That being said, I think they have a shot beating SF this week because of SF's QB situation.

Research indicates that, since VC joined the WCAL in 2002, the Warriors have had just two losing league records in 16 seasons, not counting 2018. Not too shabby.
I've heard of "winning season" as the mark of success all the way from Benny Pierce's days onward. That's what you want just to be good enough. But to be the best, you must compete against your own record. For that, VC has not been so successful.

VC is the under dog for this upcoming game. But VC does have a fair chance to win if they can muster a bit more offensive strength.

[QUOTE="FBAddict, post: 210391, member: 172"]I've heard of "winning season" as the mark of success all the way from Benny Pierce's days onward. That's what you want just to be good enough. But to be the best, you must compete against your own record. For that, VC has not been so successful.

VC is the under dog for this upcoming game. But VC does have a fair chance to win if they can muster a bit more offensive strength.[/QUOTE]

I would agree that if VC can score 21 or more against this SF defense they have a good shot at the win.

• VC is at its best when they have a QB that can pass or run. Thinking back to what I consider their best teams they had Jurovich/Mariucci sharing QB duties, then Mariucci, and then Perez. The last really good QB was Macintyre and unfortunately he left prior to his senior year to follow his dad to Colorado. If he had stayed VC would have had a great team that year. VC's run game is dependent on having a credible passing game to keep the defenses honest. Right now they are too one dimensional. That being said, I think they have a shot beating SF this week because of SF's QB situation.
you are exactly right. I've always been amazed,though, that VC defense is usually pretty good while their offense is marginally good over the years.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="FBAddict, post: 210391, member: 172"]I've heard of "winning season" as the mark of success all the way from Benny Pierce's days onward. That's what you want just to be good enough. But to be the best, you must compete against your own record. For that, VC has not been so successful.

VC is the under dog for this upcoming game. But VC does have a fair chance to win if they can muster a bit more offensive strength.

I would agree that if VC can score 21 or more against this SF defense they have a good shot at the win.[/QUOTE]

This one could be something like 10-7 with a special team score or a big turnover deciding it. Don't expect much scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT