ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Serra go from here?

Obviously So-Cal is more appealing about Stockton, I'm talking about the logistics of it and the first contact. Does MD contact the family directly, it seems like they back channel through the trainer first, similar to how the transfer portal is working. Does the kid stay down with a host family, dorms or other family/friends down there?
There are no Dorms or Host Families at Mater Dei….. Just kids and Families that reach out to the School because they want to play there…..

All the kids that have gone there from Nor Cal have moved there…. And if they have family down there they want to live with what’s the big deal?…..

And let’s say that a A School like Serra, DLS or MD did have host families and recruit kids to play Football there…. Who cares?….. If a kid wants to play FB at a Private school and can get free tuition and live with a Host family then they should be able to go for it….. What business is it of anyone else, kids should be able to play where they want at private schools and if the Families agree to it good for them….

The real issue is Public schools like Folsom with open enrollment who recruit kids from other public schools which takes funding away from those other public schools because the funding follows the student….. and ultimately hurts the competitive balance of the surrounding schools and gives them an un fair advantage because they are all funded with public money…..

But I also believe kids should play where they want, it’s just difficult with public schools because of the funding aspect and that is why Recruiting is not legal, to keep the Folsom type of schools from stealing other schools kids and funding and destroying competitive balance in a region like Folsom has done with the SJS…..

On top of that you have Charter Schools which are publicly funded with no boundaries….. So there is really no way to effectively control it…..

So in the end, you just have to let them play….

There are no Dorms or Host Families at Mater Dei….. Just kids and Families that reach out to the School because they want to play there…..

All the kids that have gone there from Nor Cal have moved there…. And if they have family down there they want to live with what’s the big deal?…..

And let’s say that a A School like Serra, DLS or MD did have host families and recruit kids to play Football there…. Who cares?….. If a kid wants to play FB at a Private school and can get free tuition and live with a Host family then they should be able to go for it….. What business is it of anyone else, kids should be able to play where they want at private schools and if the Families agree to it good for them….

The real issue is Public schools like Folsom with open enrollment who recruit kids from other public schools which takes funding away from those other public schools because the funding follows the student….. and ultimately hurts the competitive balance of the surrounding schools and gives them an un fair advantage because they are all funded with public money…..

But I also believe kids should play where they want, it’s just difficult with public schools because of the funding aspect and that is why Recruiting is not legal, to keep the Folsom type of schools from stealing other schools kids and funding and destroying competitive balance in a region like Folsom has done with the SJS…..

On top of that you have Charter Schools which are publicly funded with no boundaries….. So there is really no way to effectively control it…..

I mean, the public schools that have to play the private schools care. lol

If everyone is in the same system, they should all be under the same rules. Unfortunately the way it’s setup now, public schools are generally speaking, the only ones that actually have to follow the rules.

I actually agree that kids should be able to play wherever they want. I’d vote for open recruiting, enrollment, no transfer sit-out. It would make schools actually do their jobs.

But the idea that public schools should have to follow the rules and privates shouldn’t, despite playing in the same tournament, is absolutely ridiculous. lol

Do you know that playing sports in High School is not a right? It is a privilege.
That means it is an extra curricular activity. If you go to CiF bylaws and school administration's you will see this.
There was a time when you played School sports in your district. This is not where we seem to be heading. I still maintain this is how it should be, and would like to see it to return, to how it was.

Here's wishing you great football

The number of kids moving from public school to public school these days continues to surprise, and it’s def not just Folsom anymore. You think the NCAA transfer portal is crazy.

Reactions: WWHS44 and THEOC89
But the idea that public schools should have to follow the rules and privates shouldn’t, despite playing in the same tournament, is absolutely ridiculous. lol
Totally Agree!!…. If the CIF Says that Privates have No Boundaries for Sports or transfer rules, then you have no option other then to Seperate them….

It would not be that hard at all…. And it would be easy to run a true “Private CA State Championship”….. But I don’t think anyone in CA wants that yet, so we have what we have…..

Personally I think the So Cal HSFB scene has lost a lot of fun because of MD and SJB except for the fans of those teams…. But it is what it is….. The Southern Section has all of the States top teams and they have to play each other in playoffs so what can you do?…. Cen10 and MV have to have Beneficial Transfer rules because they need them to have any Chance to compete….

So Every 10 years or so Mission Viejo will drop down to D2 and flex the Southern Section muscle in D1AA and soundly Beat a Nor Cal Team…. Other than that it’s San Diego’s Game…. Which is just fine…

I mean Come on, In Nor Cal We Crown an Open Champion that doesn’t even win it in any kind of playoff due to the Folsom rule…. We have no desire to have our best teams win any kind of “Open Championship” on the field…. We just want to make sure we send out 2nd, 3rd and 4th best teams to play So Cal’s #10, 20 and 30th best teams…. 🤣

Again, to me it’s fine because these games should be about the kids and the Schools…

But a pre ordained blow out loss for a “Hand Picked and Computer Rated Open Champ” is just so Bogus…. The state just needs to take the Top 4-6 Ranked teams and put them in an open playoff…. Make it something meaningful…..

Until then in Nor Cal we need to have an Exciting Nor Cal Region Open Game!…. Stop the nonsense and give the kids and schools what they deserve….

Reactions: sammyswordsman
Patrick Walsh is supportive of separate playoffs for public and private. From Mercury News:

“Serra's Patrick Walsh, one of the deans among Bay Area football coaches, is on record saying that private and public schools should have their own championships. Makes sense. While some public schools have open enrollments within their districts, the bottom line is private schools have no boundaries.”

Totally Agree!!…. If the CIF Says that Privates have No Boundaries for Sports or transfer rules, then you have no option other then to Seperate them….

It would not be that hard at all…. And it would be easy to run a true “Private CA State Championship”….. But I don’t think anyone in CA wants that yet, so we have what we have…..

Personally I think the So Cal HSFB scene has lost a lot of fun because of MD and SJB except for the fans of those teams…. But it is what it is….. The Southern Section has all of the States top teams and they have to play each other in playoffs so what can you do?…. Cen10 and MV have to have Beneficial Transfer rules because they need them to have any Chance to compete….

So Every 10 years or so Mission Viejo will drop down to D2 and flex the Southern Section muscle in D1AA and soundly Beat a Nor Cal Team…. Other than that it’s San Diego’s Game…. Which is just fine…

I mean Come on, In Nor Cal We Crown an Open Champion that doesn’t even win it in any kind of playoff due to the Folsom rule…. We have no desire to have our best teams win any kind of “Open Championship” on the field…. We just want to make sure we send out 2nd, 3rd and 4th best teams to play So Cal’s #10, 20 and 30th best teams…. 🤣

Again, to me it’s fine because these games should be about the kids and the Schools…

But a pre ordained blow out loss for a “Hand Picked and Computer Rated Open Champ” is just so Bogus…. The state just needs to take the Top 4-6 Ranked teams and put them in an open playoff…. Make it something meaningful…..

Until then in Nor Cal we need to have an Exciting Nor Cal Region Open Game!…. Stop the nonsense and give the kids and schools what they deserve….
I don’t know anyone that DOESN’T want to separate the public and the private. lol

We’re a public school of about 1,000 students. We just recently had to decide how we wanted to proceed moving forward. Schedule top flight talent that basically guarantees us the 8 seed in D1 if we win the Gabilan, or schedule cupcakes to try and stay in D2.

We opted to not play the politic/seeding game, scheduled really good schools and basically just said “well, we’re going after Serra now.”

Far fetched? Of course. But the alternative just didn’t sit right with us. So we’re gonna go into it w/ the mindset we gotta figure out how to beat whatever the top private school is next year.

Like I said in an earlier post. I’d rather go 5-5 than beat up on a bunch of inferior talent like MD. Just not fun to me.

Do you know that playing sports in High School is not a right? It is a privilege.
That means it is an extra curricular activity. If you go to CiF bylaws and school administration's you will see this.
There was a time when you played School sports in your district. This is not where we seem to be heading. I still maintain this is how it should be, and would like to see it to return, to how it was.

Here's wishing you great football
hit nail on head!

Reactions: RidgeRider

at the end of the day it is your job as a parent to put YOUR child in the best possible spot to succeed. they wont all succeed, but you will hate yourself as a parent if you didnt at least give them the path. it is weird men on here go so bothered by what other men do for their kids.

what is the folsom rule?

It can only be real high school football in mostly white rural small towns, but it’s not real high school football if it’s played by brown youths in urban areas ? Hmmmm okay
Actually I am talking about what I see with my own eyes. Local teams. Games where you can BS with guys that went to school with your dad and uncles. Where 50 years out of high school you can hang out your former teachers. I challenge you to go up to Dunleavy Field and catch a game. Sitting on those concrete seats. Sonora kids enter through the stands. Crowds cheering. The smell of the BBQ. IN MY OPINION real Friday night lights. I don't see that at schools that kids transfer year to year developing any tradition?

They need to create a Super Conference for HS Football similar to the NIBC in basketball

West Division:
Bishop Gorman (NV)
Mater Dei (CA)
St John Bosco (CA)
Kahuku (HI)
Corner Canyon (UT)

East Division:
IMG (FL)
Chaminade-Madonna (FL)
St Frances (MD)
Desoto (TX)
North Shore (TX)

Every team plays each other once, one year home, one year away, similar to college football.

Each team allowed to schedule 2 non-conference games.

Winner of Each Division meets in Championship

Reactions: mrclarkinc
Actually I am talking about what I see with my own eyes. Local teams. Games where you can BS with guys that went to school with your dad and uncles. Where 50 years out of high school you can hang out your former teachers. I challenge you to go up to Dunleavy Field and catch a game. Sitting on those concrete seats. Sonora kids enter through the stands. Crowds cheering. The smell of the BBQ. IN MY OPINION real Friday night lights. I don't see that at schools that kids transfer year to year developing any tradition?
in 50 years after i graduate i am certain the teachers will be dead... they were damn near dead when they were teaching me. surely they arent hanging out at high school football games at age 85.. they are in florida retired on the beach.

• Haha
Reactions: bella123
They need to create a Super Conference for HS Football similar to the NIBC in basketball

West Division:
Bishop Gorman (NV)
Mater Dei (CA)
St John Bosco (CA)
Kahuku (HI)
Corner Canyon (UT)

East Division:
IMG (FL)
Chaminade-Madonna (FL)
St Frances (MD)
Desoto (TX)
North Shore (TX)

Every team plays each other once, one year home, one year away, similar to college football.

Each team allowed to schedule 2 non-conference games.

Winner of Each Division meets in Championship
aint nobody got time for that. texas and florida aint crying about this stuff. only nor cal people. plus desoto, north shore are public schools and texas is too deep.

aint nobody got time for that. texas and florida aint crying about this stuff. only nor cal people. plus desoto, north shore are public schools and texas is too deep.
Texas has separate leagues for privates and publics....I just attended a game with my high school coach who still coaches at 89...

in 50 years after i graduate i am certain the teachers will be dead... they were damn near dead when they were teaching me. surely they arent hanging out at high school football games at age 85.. they are in florida retired on the beach.
Your life story! I enjoy BS with my 97 year old track coach. Sorry you have made your whole personality on being a contrarian. I will enjoy my life in a positive view!

Serra is doing just fine. They had a great season and are the best team in NorCal…

MD and SJB have monopolized South Central Los Angeles. Some people now refer to it as South LA. No other region on the West Coast has this kind of accessible talent in their backyard. The talent base there is unrivaled.

The only way to even the playing field is if more parochial schools in SoCal compete for the top tier talent. This would probably require some regime changes and some splash hirings.

But I agree, schools like MD, SJB, and IMG should compete for a national championship. Those games would be legendary!

Reactions: PALFan
Texas has separate leagues for privates and publics....I just attended a game with my high school coach who still coaches at 89...
i know.. that is why they arent complaining and wouldnt want to be in a super nation wide league like he posted

Serra is doing just fine. They had a great season and are the best team in NorCal…

MD and SJB have monopolized South Central Los Angeles. Some people now refer to it as South LA. No other region on the West Coast has this kind of accessible talent in their backyard. The talent base there is unrivaled.

The only way to even the playing field is if more parochial schools in SoCal compete for the top tier talent. This would probably require some regime changes and some splash hirings.

But I agree, schools like MD, SJB, and IMG should compete for a national championship. Those games would be legendary!
Both schools also recruit heavily from the IE (Corona Cen10 territory) and send vans or busses to Winner Circle to pick up the kids for school and practice.

Reactions: MC415
Both schools also recruit heavily from the IE (Corona Cen10 territory) and send vans or busses to Winner Circle to pick up the kids for school and practice.
Indeed! The IE area has some great talent! Jayden Daniels, the 2023 Heisman winner is from the IE area.

When it comes to overall football talent, there is no equivalent to the South Central area. The IE area very well might be 2nd!

Indeed! The IE area has some great talent! Jayden Daniels, the 2023 Heisman winner is from the IE area.

When it comes to overall football talent, there is no equivalent to the South Central area. The IE area very well might be 2nd!
85% of the IE is from South Central anyway.

First of all Yes. MD and Bosco are dominant teams. Let's not hide from that fact, definite powerhouses.
However, it's not just and only that. DeLsalle folks have it correct and are right when they say EXECUTION is a major factor. To say Serra executed a game plan at a high level is incorrect. Blocked punts and several special teams miscues. Fumbles everywhere especially on regular snap exchanges. Blown coverages where receivers broke straight down the middle of the field for bombs. Even DeLasalle would say beat our team short, but you ain't gonna beat us deep. For Mater Dei, short, medium as well as Long was wide open all night.
Serra had Zero points. ZERO. DeLasalle scored points and were competitive, why? Their EXECUTION.
DeLasalle has played a national schedule before in the past. So does MD and Bosco. Serra I don't think plays a tough preseason schedule.
So for sure a tough title game for Serra, but one cannot say definite reason was dominance. Serra execution and preparedness was sorely lacking

I don’t know anyone that DOESN’T want to separate the public and the private. lol

We’re a public school of about 1,000 students. We just recently had to decide how we wanted to proceed moving forward. Schedule top flight talent that basically guarantees us the 8 seed in D1 if we win the Gabilan, or schedule cupcakes to try and stay in D2.

We opted to not play the politic/seeding game, scheduled really good schools and basically just said “well, we’re going after Serra now.”

Far fetched? Of course. But the alternative just didn’t sit right with us. So we’re gonna go into it w/ the mindset we gotta figure out how to beat whatever the top private school is next year.

Like I said in an earlier post. I’d rather go 5-5 than beat up on a bunch of inferior talent like MD. Just not fun to me.
I don't. Now you can say you know someone that doesn't want to separate 😂

My opinion is solely on CCS. Other sections might be different, but for CCS the gauntlet the publics have to face is the top 2-3 WCAL teams. Those teams are all isolated in the Open/DI bracket. We saw 5 WCAL teams in that bracket this year. If you are the champion of an A league, I think you should be able to compete with those schools. Every now and then the top WCAL team is on a completely different level which is what happened recently with Serra. The open bracket within DI helps resolve that issue. We saw the #7 seed public school thrash the #2 seed private this year. Both publics went on to advance to the DI championship.

Outside of the WCAL there aren't any dominant privates. Sacred Heart, Menlo and Palma are historically good, but they are smaller privates that 1000+ enrollment publics can compete with. No one is complaining about Stevenson, MVC or St Francis of Watsonville.

Not all publics play by the same rules either. There will always be loopholes that some schools take advantage of and some don't need any loopholes. Some publics have open districts, some are closed, some have exceptions to allow transfers, etc.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
First of all Yes. MD and Bosco are dominant teams. Let's not hide from that fact, definite powerhouses.
However, it's not just and only that. DeLsalle folks have it correct and are right when they say EXECUTION is a major factor. To say Serra executed a game plan at a high level is incorrect. Blocked punts and several special teams miscues. Fumbles everywhere especially on regular snap exchanges. Blown coverages where receivers broke straight down the middle of the field for bombs. Even DeLasalle would say beat our team short, but you ain't gonna beat us deep. For Mater Dei, short, medium as well as Long was wide open all night.
Serra had Zero points. ZERO. DeLasalle scored points and were competitive, why? Their EXECUTION.
DeLasalle has played a national schedule before in the past. So does MD and Bosco. Serra I don't think plays a tough preseason schedule.
So for sure a tough title game for Serra, but one cannot say definite reason was dominance. Serra execution and preparedness was sorely lacking
You are correct but on the other hand Serra could have prepared to the best of their ability and still would have got smoked. The question is do they want to attract players by playing a national schedule or do they have the financial ability.When MD has a schedule of cent10,SFA,BG,Kahuku and Bingham the best kids want to experience that.

Reactions: SOCALPREP1
I think there should be a separation of publics and privates, but there will still be dominant teams. No matter how you split it, there will always be teams that control the titles. I think the advantages that most private schools have is what bothers people the most

I think there should be a separation of publics and privates, but there will still be dominant teams. No matter how you split it, there will always be teams that control the titles. I think the advantages that most private schools have is what bothers people the most
there are only 2 dominant private schools and both reside in the same league... modesto christian, central catholic, fresno christian, turlock christian, salesian, monte vista christian and the such dont want to be forced to play mater dei either.

Serra executed pretty well against De La Salle this year. Mater Dei had 22 D1 guys starting. There were Serra and MD guys posing for photos together after the game because the MD guys were from the Bay Area! It will be the same thing next year. Whomever faces MD or SJB will get routed.

Reactions: SOCALPREP1
Who is Serra's penciled in starting QB for next season? Or to better phrase it, who is on their target list of who to bring in? Just me thinking out loud (Is Mann really going to sit behind Hummel at SI for one more year? What would Mitchell look like under Serra with better coaching and discipline?)

Who is Serra's penciled in starting QB for next season? Or to better phrase it, who is on their target list of who to bring in? Just me thinking out loud (Is Mann really going to sit behind Hummel at SI for one more year? What would Mitchell look like under Serra with better coaching and discipline?)
I would assume it's a sophomore starting at QB next season. I don't know anything about the freshman at Serra besides the Polynesian lineman from Sac Grant Jr program who has a SEC offer.

I think Mitchell will continue to thrive at Archbishop Riordan especially since he is working with a QB guru Danny Hernandez. Riordan should be one of the main contenders for 1st place in the WCAL next year. Adhir is a world class coach and I know he will have his kids fired up ready to compete

DLS would not score against this MD team. You are clearly not a coach that understands football. What part about Serra does not have a guy that would start for MD. Serra controlled clock 18-6 in first half, imagine it was even. MD just beat Bosco 35-7, again Serra does not have a guy that would start on Bosco either. This matchup is like the 49ers playing San Diego State.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I would assume it's a sophomore starting at QB next season. I don't know anything about the freshman at Serra besides the Polynesian lineman from Sac Grant Jr program who has a SEC offer.

I think Mitchell will continue to thrive at Archbishop Riordan especially since he is working with a QB guru Danny Hernandez. Riordan should be one of the main contenders for 1st place in the WCAL next year. Adhir is a world class coach and I know he will have his kids fired up ready to compete
The frosh polynesian lineman with an SEC offer went to Abbot Middle School in San Mateo.

To your point regarding Serra and Execution…..

When DLS played SJB in the Open in 2016, they put up 33 points with a Converted DB at QB running the veer where SJB knew what was coming every single play…..

In 2017 DLS played MD’s “OIAG” Team and still scored 21 points with a Converted DB at QB, running the veer where MD knew what was coming every play…. DLS also beat Nationally ranked ST John’s 35-31 that year running the veer against a loaded box with a DB playing QB….

In 2018 and 2019 DLS combined to put up 49 points on National Champion’s MD and SJB in the Open Games those years….

So that’s 103 points in 4 games or 25.75 per game, executing their Veer Offense against far superior competition with the belief that they can actually win the game….

So yes, you are right, for an Open Level Team, Serra seems to lack the execution and confidence on offense to even be able to score any points in these games…. They are just trying to keep the score down rather then actually win the game and they don’t do anything particularly well offensively because their offense is not consistent…..

No Matter how much DLS has been overmatched in this new era (2016-) they Always believe that they can play “The Perfect Game” and win….. They can Lien on their “Perfect” Execution of their offense and Score points….

Serra seems to be defeated before they even get to the stadium when facing MD and SJB in the Open because they don’t have that same confidence that they can lean on anything offensively to execute “Perfectly” to score points no matter what level the competition they face…..

They are playing SJB next year so that is a step in the right direction….

Last edited:
Mitchell broke 4 WCAL passing records as a sophomore. Coach Adhir coached QBs at CSM (was Serra grad Luke Bottari’s QB Coach and went to Utah) and was looking to coach at a 4 year college until he interviewed for the Riordan position. A head scratcher why Mitchell was not WCAL Soph of the year.

Last edited:
Mitchell broke 4 WCAL passing records as a sophomore. Coach Adhir coached QBs at CSM prior to Riordan and was looking to coach at a 4 year college until he interviewed for the Riordan position.
Mitchell's growth and discipline was not the issue. Watching him sling it all over the field is just impressive. Its the rest of the team with the penalties, unsportsman-likes/personal fouls, and defensive deficiencies that always are their downfall. Thats what I meant by better coaching/discipline.

Mitchell's growth and discipline was not the issue. Watching him sling it all over the field is just impressive. Its the rest of the team with the penalties, unsportsman-likes/personal fouls, and defensive deficiencies that always are their downfall. Thats what I meant by better coaching/discipline.
@iamgearyblvd No disagreement there. Crusaders need to clean up on some things heading into next season. Youth and losing your 2 starting LBs early in league did not help. Just look at SF when it lost its stud LB and a few other starters against Wilcox.

@iamgearyblvd No disagreement there. Crusaders need to clean up on some things heading into next season. Youth and losing your 2 starting LBs early in league did not help. Just look at SF when it lost its stud LB and a few other starters against Wilcox.
Injuries suck and like it or not they can cost a team wins. Yaddy-yadda, no excuses, next man up .... all true mantras but when your main guys go down, so does your team. In that case, ALL your best guys should be playing both sides of the ball and especially in the playoffs. But sadly, there are some teams/players that wont do that.

Not sure if he is the one to take over the regins but they have Michael Vasquez who will be a soph next year. I saw him during 7on7 tourney this past summer. He can throw it. He's been working with the Carta Samuel brothers for several years.

Not sure if he is the one to take over the regins but they have Michael Vasquez who will be a soph next year. I saw him during 7on7 tourney this past summer. He can throw it. He's been working with the Carta Samuel brothers for several years.
Heard good things about him. He was brought up to Varsity last Saturday.

Heard good things about him. He was brought up to Varsity last Saturday.
I'm pretty sure he got called up to varsity about half way through the season. Had his first Varsity completion in the Riordan game. They call him "The Hulk" and from what I've heard he can really sling it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT